+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a grounding box?

I'm Gary.

When reading about "add on" things that improve SQ so dramatically I always wonder why even high end equipment manufacturers make their kit so badly that such things are needed?

If aftermarket power cables make such a difference why weren't the standard ones made to the same quality?

If cables need grounding, or whatever, why don't the equipment or cable manufacturers tell you this?

If cabinets pick up resonance why aren't they made more rigid and with decent feet on them

People pay tens of thousands of amps, DACs, CDPs etc yet they're supplied with substandard power leads, aren't earthed properly have rattly cabinets and wobbly feet, meaning that the poor sucker that bought them has to spend more money to get them sounding their best.

Imagine spending £400k on a Rolls Phantom then having to spend another £50k on new shocks, springs, tyres and extra sound proofing to make it ride properly and more refined inside?

It's a disgrace
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    When reading about "add on" things that improve SQ so dramatically I always wonder why even high end equipment manufacturers make their kit so badly that such things are needed?
    That reminds me of my argument about power supply upgrades or extra add-on power supplies. If they are needed, surely the equipment was inadequately specced in the first place?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That reminds me of my argument about power supply upgrades or extra add-on power supplies. If they are needed, surely the equipment was inadequately specced in the first place?
    Exactly, I'd be fuming if I bought a high end amp and found the power lead wasn't top spec.
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Martin.

You can buy aftermarket improvements to loads of cars, possibly not the RR Phantom, but some pretty expensive cars can be modded to improve various aspects of performance. Although I grant you that industry also has a fair number of 'upgrades' that do nothing (that can be defined in measurement).

People like to tweak. So there's a market for it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

Everything is built to a price, even cars have option kits.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Everything is built to a price, even cars have option kits.
    True, but they're fitted to the car before it's delivered and by the manufacturer or dealer not bought and fitted after delivery by the owner.
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You can buy aftermarket improvements to loads of cars, possibly not the RR Phantom, but some pretty expensive cars can be modded to improve various aspects of performance. Although I grant you that industry also has a fair number of 'upgrades' that do nothing (that can be defined in measurement).

People like to tweak. So there's a market for it.
    Yes, most cars can be modified but usually to suit the owners taste. For example you can improve handling by fitting stiffer suspension but this compromises ride quality or get a remap for more performance at the cost of fuel consumption.
    In my opinion changing the power cable, and adding anti resonance feet/Damping to a high end piece of audio gear is akin to the Rolls Royce I mentioned before being delivered with rattling body panels, uncomfortable suspension and restrictive fuel lines, all of which would be totally unacceptable to expect the owner to replace himself
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    In my opinion changing the power cable, and adding anti resonance feet/Damping to a high end piece of audio gear is akin to the Rolls Royce I mentioned before being delivered with rattling body panels, uncomfortable suspension and restrictive fuel lines, all of which would be totally unacceptable to expect the owner to replace himself
    A better analogy would be having the interior of the Rolls valeted. It isn't going to improve performance in the slightest but you are still going to feel better about it whilst driving it around.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A better analogy would be having the interior of the Rolls valeted. It isn't going to improve performance in the slightest but you are still going to feel better about it whilst driving it around.
    Not really, valeting isn't upgrading a standard part which, on a high end car, shouldn't need upgrading if it was made properly in the first place.
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Jason.

There is a rather amusing review on the Stereophile website for the Nordost QKore grounding box. My personal highlight of the review is the advice from the manufacturer about keeping it off the floor and recommending using their “resonant control devices” under it.

If it’s that susceptible to vibrations why didn’t they take this to consideration when designed it.

Apparently even mixing the materials these feet/supports come in alters the sound!

I honestly cannot see how any of these products could lead to improvements. Even if they did I’m sure it’s nothing that couldn’t be solved alternatively using basic grounding techniques at a fraction of the cost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast