+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a grounding box?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Get a used xmas present box, take a massive shit in it, enjoy
    You can't do that - once the novelty of the box's original contents has worn off it (the box) becomes the most played with thing for the kiddies.
    Spend a fortune on the contents, and you should have just given them a pile of boxes to play with
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

"it's a load of bollocks", some might say. In fact I know people who probably would express a view to that effect. As for me, I'm far too polite to pour scorn on anything .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Firstly I cannot see how the addition of a box, whether conductive, (Cast alloy for eg.), or non conductive can do anything unless the conductive box is earthed. In this case it will act as a screen to e-mag and e-stat fields.

But then, why a box, unless it encloses a piece of equipment to thoroughly screen it. Obviously a piece of wire will become an effective aerial if not earthed, so one has to ask WTF is this meant to do?

If you read through all the tests they conclude that it's an antennae, there's a wire that runs right around the inside of the box. Some suggest that increasing RFI noise in the system can give the perception that the 'soundstage' has expanded. Interestingly this is the positive effect many users of such devices say they hear. Assuming this is actually what is happening (which is still a big assumption) you could just plug in a very long wire and leave it unconnected to anything at the other end and get the same effect, the box is completely superfluous.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

So maybe the way it works is sort of similar to adding a dither signal, if all it does is pick up and inject noise?

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Here's some measurements done on one of the Entreq offerings. Quick summary: Performance depends on how long a wire you use to connect the system to the box. Longer wire injects more noise and distortion, short wire adds less. Probably none of it is audible. So in effect it does absolutely nothing - which is what you'd expect. However for the man who already has everything else it's a bit of fun I suppose...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...surements.476/
    I think this quote sums it up nicely;

So that is it for now. Bottom line is that the device seemingly does nothing. The only measureable effect is the wire that goes to it. That wire acts like an unterminated antenna so picks up whatever noise there is in the vicinity and injects it into the signal path. Depending on what noise there is, and how the equipment behaves, there may be little to a lot of noise injected.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    So maybe the way it works is sort of similar to adding a dither signal, if all it does is pick up and inject noise?

That was one theory advanced, although the counter to that is that the injected noise is at too low a level to make any audible difference. That seems to be a grey area though. Even if it was the case that it is audible there's still no need to buy the box to get the effect to work.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Timothy.

The effectiveness of the box of shite may ultimately depend on how “wet” the shite is, for effective conductance. So it might seem one would have to adjust ones shite schedule, as well as consistency for it to work well.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Geoff.

Not necessarily. Quite possibly, the drier the better in fact, as in principle, it could rely on diodic action within the crystaline structure of the dried turd.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Timothy.

Well, that could be Geoff! Guess there are quite a few smelly ways to look at this shitty situation!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Get a used xmas present box, take a massive shit in it, enjoy
    Does that help the bottom end?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast