+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a grounding box?

I'm Martin.

Music is just multiple tones though. It isn't fundamentally different from a single tone.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

I would have preferred it if archimago had tested it exactly as its intended to be used in a system, testing it any other way tells you nothing about how it performs in a system.

that said, if one further read through that thread you'll see he tested it with just wire and also same wire and entreq box and the noise was worse with the box attached to the wire. So wire acts as an aerial and so does the box.

All it does is add a source of low level broadband noise.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post

All it does is add a source of low level broadband noise.
    Which could be perceived as an increase in sound quality. Trouble is you can't easily test for that as Entreq claim the effect takes time to come on and then fades away over time even after you've removed the gadget. Which is convenient. So you have to try it for yourself and see, knowing the thing is in there, and then try to detect an effect which is going to gradually come over time.

I mean if the effect is very obvious then no problemo. But I gather it is not, it seems to be a very subtle enhancement of soundstage and image placement, going by the testimonials. I'm not sure I would even notice it. especially with the sort of music I usually play.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Dennis.

I think that scientific methodology should be adhered to; DB tests.

We should also avoid sophism and non sequiturs.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Which could be perceived as an increase in sound quality. Trouble is you can't easily test for that as Entreq claim the effect takes time to come on and then fades away over time even after you've removed the gadget. Which is convenient. So you have to try it for yourself and see, knowing the thing is in there, and then try to detect an effect which is going to gradually come over time.

I mean if the effect is very obvious then no problemo. But I gather it is not, it seems to be a very subtle enhancement of soundstage and image placement, going by the testimonials. I'm not sure I would even notice it. especially with the sort of music I usually play.
    Not according to Bernard:
    Quote Originally Posted by Berni217
    After reading a lot about grounding boxes and getting in touch with people who have actually tried one in their systems, I have decided to take the plunge and recently bought a second hand Entreq Silver Minimus and some cables off Tony at Coherent Systems.…

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-grounding-box

Tony was really a gent as he delivered them personally to me and gave me some recommendation on the best way to use this pretty little wooden box.

I was very sceptical at first but after a few minutes of listening, my systems which was already well balanced and lovely imho was transformed ... Lower noise floor, increased soundstage, texture and depth ... The changes have even improved since ... All with 2 cables connected to my Pre.

I can honestly say that this has been one of my Best Buy to date...

Trying & listening is believing and it seems that most of the negative comments so far are from people who have not tried a well developed grounding box in their systems. If you believe that quality cables can make a difference, you might be amazed by the improvements brought by a grounding box!

I have no other connections with Entreq or Tony from Coherent Systems. Anyone in the Oxfordshire/Berkshire area (and beyond) is welcomed to have a listen to my systems (mainly analogue).

Cheers,
    B.
    Be most obvious 'covering of one's back' by Entreq is their disclaimer that their Grounding Boxes may not benefit some systems.

So we have the usual dichotomy with these devices: the sceptics think them absurd and will not try them; the believers will say if they have not been tried then one cannot comment. Even if the sceptical try one and hear no difference whatsoever, then the protagonists will say their system is not resolving enough, or that the listener's hearing is inadequate ..... And so it goes on.
    Barry

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    You can even buy an 'upgraded' tubular nut for the Entreq grounding boxes, with even extra claimed performance:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ground-Bo...dEPh:rk:2:pf:0

' Simply replace the wooden clamp on your entreq box with this and you will hear an improvement in soundstage, detail and placement around vocals and instruments, bass is tighter and the overall effect is a far more engaging sound.'

Ha.
    The interesting fact is that these are just generic zinc plated threaded rod nuts. Got a pack of ten for much less than this is listed for.

I'm Simon.

Macca, next they'll be claiming that the reason it takes time to work is because the box filling takes time to charge itself up to working level due to the small currents running through the ground. (current, via a single wire, with no return ?)
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Macca, next they'll be claiming that the reason it takes time to work is because the box filling takes time to charge itself up to working level due to the small currents running through the ground. (current, via a single wire, with no return ?)
    They don't need to say anything it would seem. Entreq happily sent the box in to be measured so clearly they are not bothered what that turned up -I suppose as it's not going to make a blind bit of difference to someone who has heard the effect and decided they want one.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Dennis.

' Simply replace the wooden clamp on your entreq box with this and you will hear an improvement in soundstage, detail and placement around vocals and instruments, bass is tighter and the overall effect is a far more engaging sound.'

Not difficult to imagine a hypnotist swinging a pendulum in front of the buyer's eyes whilst saying this. :-)

I'm Mike.

I can speak of the difference the Coherent RTZ grounding box makes. No idea of the others.
    My measuring implements - ears and brain

Massive improvement in all areas including lower noise floor, yes lower.

Putting CD after CD on and amazed at what is being revealed.

Currently seated and struggling to leave the music.

Wanna listen ?
    North West Surrey is where I is.
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast