+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a grounding box?

I'm Neal.

I would hardly call a rise of up to 40db in the noise floor, no matter how far down, not a massive amount. Personally, I don’t like listening to noise and seek to reduce it where possible but each to their own.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Berni217 View Post
    ... because you trust any said independent reviews written on the net!? I only trust my judgment and my ears!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not trusting anything, just discussing how the thing measured and extrapolating from that. I'm not saying it does not have any effect on the sound, It may do, I don't know as I have not heard one. I'm wondering how it might cause that effect based on the information available about it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I would hardly call a rise of up to 40db in the noise floor, no matter how far down, not a massive amount. Personally, I don’t like listening to noise and seek to reduce it where possible but each to their own.
    That's with a 2 metre cable, with a 6 inch cable it was just a couple of dB.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

you can get them for 75 quid, so not the earth and moon to try. rave about its qualities for a while then sell it on.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

One could go the whole hog (well most of it) and complement the grounding box with a couple of Hallographs from Shakti.

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm

Even throw in a couple of Shakti stones for good measure.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dennis.

From Simon;

"I think the point is that the boxes aren't connected to ground, they're just connected to the hfi, so all they do is potentially spray, very, very small ground currents all over the place.

But the wire is connected to the equipment - surely the equipment's earth?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    But the wire is connected to the equipment - surely the equipment's earth?
    In many cases no it isn't - such equipment is usually compliant with the class 2 electrical regs.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Simon.

Yes, one or more wires from the box will be connected to one of many different ground points on the equipment, potentially a chassis earth, or maybe a signal cold, or maybe a signal 0v in case of an XLR socket. The point is that all of this different physical locations on different pieces of your hifi are all at different voltages. There is no such thing as ground/earth, it's a misnomer. Small currents flow all over your hifi across these various gnd planes and all of them are looking for the lowest impedance route back to earth, they're all ultimately looking to get back to the wall socket via that green and yellow wire in the mains plug. Adding extra lengths of cable just helps to pick up radiated noise from the environment, from adjacent wires, from routers and home plugs and overhead power lines and everything else. All these boxes do is build a haphazard aerial in the room and act as a source to receive noise which is then sprayed into all the connected hifi. It's just another loop to radiate and receive noise.

It's not a method for providing the lowest possible impedance route back to the main power earth for all current flowing on any ground plane and across any component chassis, it's the exact opposite of that in fact.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Grant.

one i saw had a mains plug and a single wire, presumably from the earth pin going to an rca plug. box had an rca socket on one side. supposedly had tourmaline inside that you had to level after shipping. I take it it had rca's on another side for grounding your equipment but cant be sure.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's with a 2 metre cable, with a 6 inch cable it was just a couple of dB.
    The manual states 15cm is the minimum distance and to place the unit at the bottom of the rack, if I had one I’d need at least 1~1.5m as my rack is full and the unit would have to sit a way from it which I suspect would be the situation in a lot of cases.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast