+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a grounding box?

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I love this thread.

To me, al that is being done is earthing a box via a wire and croc clip to the earth of the equipment, which may provide some minimal screening. I can't even see why it would introduce noise.

However the divided camps and the ridicule are wonderful; what a lovely, innocent, and mad pursuit audiophilia is.
    Audophilia - you make it sound like a disease.
    Dave

I'm Rob.

Years ago someone (no names mentioned - but a purveyor of tweaky treats) added a grounding socket (linked to PE) to a 6 socket extension so that a length of wire could be attached to the casing of an amp or other piece of equipment. Would this have done anything?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Years ago someone (no names mentioned - but a purveyor of tweaky treats) added a grounding socket (linked to PE) to a 6 socket extension so that a length of wire could be attached to the casing of an amp or other piece of equipment. Would this have done anything?
    By PE you mean power earth?
    Yes, it would have provided a physical earth connection.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

I had my system blessed by a Jedi Master (at least, that's what he said he was). It sounds totally unbelievable now (I just wish it was a little more believable though). His parting words were "the farce is strong in this one". Funny, I'd actually thought the word was supposed to be 'force', but there you go.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I had my system blessed by a Jedi Master (at least, that's what he said he was). It sounds unbelievable now (I just wish it was a little more believable though). His parting words were "the farce is strong in this one". Funny, I'd actually thought the word was supposed to be 'force', but there you go.
    i blessed my own only person who would
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post

Yup it would do what this box doesn't- provide a path to earth for small currents flowing in the chassis and across the signal gnd. Perfectly practical, if somewhat hit and miss.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm openingabottleofwine.

How are these 'grounding boxes' connected to the equipment whose performance they are supposed to improve? Are they connected to the metal casing, or are they connected to the outer signal-return of an RCA phono socket?
    Barry

I'm Deleted.

They are connected to the return of an RCA connector and you are supposed to plug them into an unused socket on the back of your amp etc. They are supposed to be for signal ground, not mains ground/earth. Having said that, signal and mains ground are often connected within components - at least, in the UK they are...
    Account Deleted

I'm Edward.

Does anyone here (Simon? Alan?) have a signal generator/analyser and oscilloscope that could be used to replicate the tests used in the article linked to earlier in this thread?

For example I have a Russ Andrews power purifier with its claritymains and zapparator modules that could be tested. There modules claim to purify mains, reject RFI etc.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

So if these boxes (and their connecting cables) act as inefficient antennae to RFI, the RFI will be injected into the audio circuitry on its way to the mains earth. The impedance will be low (not necessarily zero) so too will the injected currents. It is hard to see how these devices could have any effect.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast