+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a grounding box?

I'm Andrew.

Default What constitutes a grounding box?

I'm always on the lookout for things which may improve my listening experience. I've seen these advertised and the idea looks sound, but not the price. So, just what constitutes a grounding box? It could be argued that careful attention in cabling management could mitigate the need for such a device, but for fun it could make for a DIY project. Any thoughts, suggestions, lads?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I'm always on the lookout for things which may improve my listening experience. I've seen these advertised and the idea looks sound, but not the price. So, just what constitutes a grounding box? It could be argued that careful attention in cabling management could mitigate the need for such a device, but for fun it could make for a DIY project. Any thoughts, suggestions, lads?
    Just take a large wooden cigar box, fit it with a gold-plated binding post and fill it full of coal - then tell your friends it cost £1,000. That last bit is important - your friends won't notice any improvement unless they know the price.
    Barry

I'm Deleted.

There is no agreement as to what constitutes a grounding box as the concept has only recently been ‘invented’ and only by the audio accessory fraternity. In the UK every mains socket already has a very effective grounding pin, called the earth.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Here's some measurements done on one of the Entreq offerings. Quick summary: Performance depends on how long a wire you use to connect the system to the box. Longer wire injects more noise and distortion, short wire adds less. Probably none of it is audible. So in effect it does absolutely nothing - which is what you'd expect. However for the man who already has everything else it's a bit of fun I suppose...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...surements.476/
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

Get a used xmas present box, take a massive shit in it, enjoy
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Get a used xmas present box, take a massive shit in it, enjoy

I'm Martin.

I've noticed that people who own these find the benefit increases the more things they connect to it (and the more 'grounding' boxes they have). The more cables you attach to it the bigger an antennae you are creating so more RFI will be picked up. Possibly to the point of audibility. So it seems possible that it could affect the sound although technically it's a degradation. But of course it's all subjective, a degraded signal can sound 'better' to some.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Andrew.

I suspected that I'd get these replies! I like the idea of shitting in a box, I'm going for a curry tonight........ Thanks for the replies guys and thanks Macca for a link to a new site I'd not seen before.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I suspected that I'd get these replies! I like the idea of shitting in a box, I'm going for a curry tonight........ Thanks for the replies guys and thanks Macca for a link to a new site I'd not seen before.
    It's a good site if you want independent technical info without having to wade through all the frizzley stuff.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Dennis.

Firstly I cannot see how the addition of a box, whether conductive, (Cast alloy for eg.), or non conductive can do anything unless the conductive box is earthed. In this case it will act as a screen to e-mag and e-stat fields.

But then, why a box, unless it encloses a piece of equipment to thoroughly screen it. Obviously a piece of wire will become an effective aerial if not earthed, so one has to ask WTF is this meant to do?

The results from the link speak for themselves - complete and utter BS IMO.

We all must go out and buy a dozen or so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast