+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a grounding box?

I'm Lee.

The boxes look like the coffins you get your cat/dog/horse back in from animal cremations,the insides seem to resemble something out of steptoes yard.

I'm Simon.

That some people prefer added noise isnt an idea i have trouble with. If broadband and low level the effect can be akin to digital dither.

It's not for me though.

I have a scope but you really need an AP or high spec signal gen plus noise analyser, I'd struggle to measure much below 0.1mv with any real accuracy.

We can take the graph I posted at face value, archimago knows how to use his tools. It is of course only one measure with one bit of kit, it's indicative of what's happening with the DUT that he used.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    If these make an audible difference, then it can only mean that some people *prefer* a higher noise floor. This is interesting in itself as it isn’t the first time I have heard people preferring higher distortion. I don’t like how these are called grounding boxes though. They are indeed aerials. No current will magically flow into the box and get absorbed.
    Purely marketing to those who don't recall their 'O' level physics. It's a pleasant idea to think that the sound improvement comes from all those nasty eddy currents (or whatever) being 'drained' away. They're selling the sizzle, not the steak.

What's interesting from a psychological point of view is that users of these devices say they make a perceived sonic improvement and that speculating on how they work is irrelevant.

But they don't like the suggestion, or the evidence, that the subjective improvement is probably due to an increase in noise as opposed to a decrease.

They are not keen on that despite claiming that the subjective effect is all that matters.

That's why they are called 'Grounding boxes' and not 'Add a load of spurious RF noise to your system boxes.' If they were called the latter they wouldn't sell a single one, regardless of how beneficial the subjective effect was.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeken View Post
    Anyone ever took one of these apart to see what is inside?
    There are some pics on the www, showing wooden box with some gravel/coal, chippings of some sort and a bit of bare copper wire.

Regardless of whether they work or not, how can the prices be justified as they can't cost more than £30 or so to put together ?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    There are some pics on the www, showing wooden box with some gravel/coal, chippings of some sort and a bit of bare copper wire.

Regardless of whether they work or not, how can the prices be justified as they can't cost more than £30 or so to put together ?
    Our old friend 'research and development.' Plus distributor and dealer margins and 20 percent VAT.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Simon.

Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Our old friend 'research and development.' Plus distributor and dealer margins and 20 percent VAT.
    Which still doesn't equal several grand.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Which still doesn't equal several grand.
    Jerry's getting one from China for a tenner though. Or something like that.

Copper is quite pricey now though isn't it? And there seems to be quite a lot of it in those boxes pictured above.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeken View Post
    Anyone ever took one of these apart to see what is inside?
    I certainly don't want to open any made according to design suggestions from this thread.

Objective testing of subjective opinions is actually rather hard to do. I was once "tricked" in a test to see which of three audio samples I "liked". I selected the lowest bit rate mp3 - which raised a lot of amusement. However, I had no control over the source material, nor did I know how good the original recording was. Of the three samples I heard (of the same piece of Tchaikovsky), I wasn't sure if it was the one with the high frequencies - which were distorted (IMO) or the smoothest sounding one - which was the low bit rate mp3. mp3 always introduces distortion - but it may be benign depending on the nature. Low bit rate mp3 might just behave as a low pass filter, depending on how low the bit rate actually is, thus not actually unpleasant. Medium bit rate might sound worse.

If the tests are done where the subject has access to the original sound source - then the "objective" tests can give different results. In my case I was not asked which was closest to a known reference - that was something the testers (who were students) didn't think to try.

Such tests need to be done by others, and preferably at least double blind, so that researcher bias is largely precluded. The tests need to be done over an extended period, to give repeatabiliity.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

looks like obsidian cuttings(waste product) and probably is, with some cheap quartz on top. a bit of copper to stop it all moving about too much. a cheap as chips pine box. only one connector too so yo will need several.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast