+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Great things the h2's. Surprised they worked so well tho. Guess I better get saving lol
    Was surprised the open baffles didn’t work so well with my SET amp, on paper should be a great match?
    Funny old game this hifi lark, innit?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Wow - glad they're doing it for you. Lovely looking setup, too.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Naa.
    Never got on with open baffles Ollie.

With an 8/9 watts SET amp, it was something I had thought about?
    Great as the Eddingdales were (at 94dB efficiency) after the recent upgrades, turns out they were the bottleneck holding my system back.

The funny thing is that changing the speakers wasn't planned and happened completely by accident.

Good story:
    My SET power amp was back with its designer getting some TLC last couple of weeks and at the weekend there I drove down to collect it.
    A mate lived 40minutes away so took the opportunity to pop across and see him.

Plumbed my amp into his system to hear how it sounded with his kit, particularly on his Bastanis open baffle speakers.
    Unexpected results on listening, not a great match, but I happened to notice a couple of massive wooden cabinets in the corner which were, he let me know, up for Sale.

Speakers I had been curious about since reading of them in magazines back in the day, but never thought I'd get a chance to hear.
    These were as minty as you could ever want, recently refoamed and had a tweeter crossover mod to improve them done.
    So ideal really...just one of life's weird coincidences that sometimes happen.

Impulse H2 horn speakers - A review from Jimmy Hughes (remember him?) from back in the day.

And another:

So we hooked up the H2's to my SET amp and sat back to listen to some music.
    Some things just "work", and the sound coming from the horn speakers with my SET amp was jaw dropping.
    Never heard my amp sound like this, the scale, clarity the detail and the grunt...shocking how good it was.

Bought them on the spot with the proviso they worked as well in my room at home.
    And they did.
    Never thought I'd say this but I'm moving on from the Eddingdales.

Game changer for me, amazed how good they make my gear sound played through them, my last speakers short of a lottery win - which I think I'd need to better whats hitting my ears.
    Valves and horn speakers, some things just "work" I guess.

Some pics in situ:
    Still playing around with placement etc and trying to get them dialed into the room but great as is.
    Eddingdales are huge speakers, but...

Bass horn comes out the bottom of the speaker, and spiked directly into the carpet they weren't working properly in the bass.
    So sat them on some slabs to allow the gap at the bottom to let the bass work - much better now.

Happy chocolate button, best sound at home by a country mile.
    Depending on wether I sell the vinyl or not, one more stab at upgrading the digital front end then I'm done I think.

Happy days, just lets me enjoy my music better which is the point really of having a good system.
    Blinking heck, if anyone wants a set of H2s, there will be none left below Scotland lol.

Got to say, I'm really surprised you've moved on from the eddis but sometimes you just find a better match or hit a bit of synergy and it's time to move on.

Well done on the speakers and your room looks great BTW

Now, how much are those eddy's........? Lol

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Great as the H2’s are, I find the Bastanis better still in my room/ system. Different matter with Gary’s amp though, they were made to be together. Synergy with a capital S!

I’m quite familiar with that amp having heard it on quite a few occasions, so I know how good it is- it’s the best 300b SE amp I’ve ever heard.

Never heard it sound like it does on the H2’s though. Jaw dropping is an over used phrase but an appropriate one in this instance I think.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Are you keeping your vinyl setup now Gary? :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Brian.

System's looking fab mate . Those H2s must be huge because the Edingdales are large speakers and they look smallish compared to the H2s .

I'll have to get over to yours soon for a listen
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Chris.

Big? That's a matter of opinion!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    System's looking fab mate . Those H2s must be huge because the Edingdales are large speakers and they look smallish compared to the H2s .

I'll have to get over to yours soon for a listen
    Aye, you need to hear these Brian, just lovely.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

a bake off beckons..pizza and chips for me
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inthescottishmafia.

LOL aye, board meeting time.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast