+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 75 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    another brick in the wall
    (Vinyl) Walls all now in place now yeah.

The Ortofon Quinetet Blue carts sounding pretty great with some time on it now,
    No real itch to upgrade, at least for the foreseeable.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    (Vinyl) Walls all now in place now yeah.

The Ortofon Quinetet Blue carts sounding pretty great with some time on it now,
    No real itch to upgrade, at least for the foreseeable.
    need to get fit enough to visit myself... looks great system anyway..well done
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Some minor turntable upgrades/mods coming up, see if I can eek out more from the vinyl setup.
    Quite a good forum community for Project stuff, cool.

See how it goes, put some pics up soon.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Last edited by Gazjam; 29-10-2023 at 01:50.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Rob.

The secret is to always be well lubed up for smooth operation
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    itchy and scratchy??
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    The secret is to always be well lubed up for smooth operation
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Used this stuff to lubricate the counterweight
    Call it an oil, but its very high viscosity stuff (100k), really thick n gloopy.

Used for radio control car differentials (apparently), just wanted something to damp the rattly counterweight and stop any micro vibrations possibly getting to the arm.
    Every little helps, right?

Weight feels solid and smooth, with no play between it and the arm stub.
    Job jobbed.

Metal counterweight is damped with a ring of sorbothane, the metal tracking force dial is stuck on to a central plastic shaft.

Positioned to the front the metal actually contacted the tonearm tube, so I removed it and rebalanced the arm.
    Use a digital tracking force gauge anyway, these dials are never the most accurate.

Nice improvement, top end more solid, and soundstaging better.
    A more Direct Drive type sound if that makes sense.

Nice wee upgrade for about £15 and a half hour of time.

Next up,
    Platter mat.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

With my Rega deck, I ran with the stock white felt P10 mat, until my Dealer suggested I tried the red Collaro mat, as they preferred it to Rega's own.
    Sure enough, it was better and I fitted that and didn't think about a new mat, job done.

New turntable though, heavy mass deck the opposite to the P10, so wondered if the thin Collaro mat on the heavy damped Aluminium platter was still the best option.
    Sounded good - better than the stock Pro-Ject for sure, but not the best for a metal platter.

Did a bit of reading, and the Funk Firm (ex Pink triangle) Acromat kept coming up.
    Michael Fremer, American turntable reviewer, recommended the Mat in his review of my exact turntable.
    Good enough for me I thought,
    good reviews all around and supposed to work great with metal platters so picked one up.

I bought the 5mm version, apparently more effective than the 3mm one, which was for decks with no VTA adjustment.
    Sits fairly thick on the platter, so need to adjust the VTA of my arm.
    Easily done, loosen two hex bolts on base of arm, adjust to suit then retighten.

Interesting "blurb" sheet that came with it?

Construction is interesting?
    Bottom layer which sits on platter looks like acrylic, and its topped off with a layer of what looks like vinyl, but feels different as under its surface skin it looks like hard vinyl foam.
    the idea I think is that air bubbles there dissapted vibration as heat.
    Its from the Pink Triangle guy, figure he knows a bit about turntable platters and the like.

Two layer 5mm construction

Top Surface with indent for the label, so the LP sits as flush as possible to the mat. Good idea that!

Underside, showing acrylic surface. All the shineys...

To stop the LP spinning on the similar material platter mat, very thin double sided stickers come with it, and the instructions advise on placement.
    Not perfect but close enough, not overthinking this one. If its stuck down its stuck down.

Decided to leave tweaking VTA and setting the deck all up again till tommorow, hit it early with a fresher head and better light.
    Been playing around with tweaking Roon and my digital setup, so will enjoy the digital stuff tonight.

Like how the Mat makes the turntable look more "serious", tapping my knuckle on the platter its a lot more damped than with the red felt mat, hopefully this should translate to improved sound quality.

I really like this Pro-Ject deck,
    with the balanced connections and linear PSU its really something, if the matt eeks out more performance I'll be a happy man.

Good to know too that the deck can take serious cartridge upgrades, but thats for the far flung future if I ever get there!
    Last edited by Gazjam; 04-11-2023 at 19:17.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 75 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast