+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Will defo be in touch then, as I intend to take the Brabster on a few road trips this year... Will see if my gangsta car stereo can compete with your system

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Of course I meant £2,000 per channel!

I'm Gary.

OK,
    so thought I'd blab a bit about cables and how I got to my final setup.

*SPOILER ALERT*
    Cables do make a difference.

DIGITAL CABLES
    Prior to getting my current Dac I ran a Logitech Transporter, which though it had a great Dac inside I preferred it as a transport into my Young Dac at the time.
    Was always on the lookout for the "best" way to hookup the Transporter to a Dac, so I spent a long time trying different options, Optical vs RCA, which cables, even BNC and XLR connections and different brands of cables.

Looking back I think this played a big part in my getting a bit jaded with the whole system merry-go-round "thing"and I got a little bit fed up with all the sidegrading I was doing!
    Turned out XLR was the best connection for me, tried all sorts of cables some of which are below.

And THEN it turned out (Dac dependant...) that i2s was far and away the best digital connection.
    Who'da thunk it!?
    So it's what i use nowadays.

RCA cables
    Linn Black > Tellerium Q Black > (the infamous) SLIC interconnect > Brian's Klotz (Better than the SLIC) > Wireworld.
    With the new Preamp, its XLR if I can.

Think we know what Brian's Klotz cables look like, so here's what I finally settled on, best I've ever heard.
    Spend more time nowadays on American high end forums and Wireworld kept coming up in some pretty esoteric systems.
    Wanted to keep my Valve power amp (with its big transformers) a distance away from my valve input Pre-Amp, so needed a 1m RCA.
    I wanted to know I wasn't limiting the potential of my amps, so went for one of these.
    Not the cheapest, but worth every penny imo.

So thats was the connection between Preamp and power amp done, had to be RCA as my Poweramp doesn;t have XLR's.
    Again, didn't want to limit the performance of my Dac connecting to the Preamp, so again went with the same cable, this time in an XLR connection.
    Thankfully I could get away with an 0.5M length here, which took the sting out the cost a fair bit.

I tell you, these cables are built to last, but I needed another XLR cable to connect my PS Audio phonostage (shown earlier in the thread) to the Preamp.
    But I needed a 1m length, and as vinyl (sorry!) is now a secondary source compared to the digital stuff I thought twice about spending what I did on a second 1m Wireworld cable.
    Reality's gotta kick in at some point, but thankfully the Dealer I bought all my PS Audio gear from, Igloo Audio, do their own XLR cable which Peter@Igloo was happy to throw in a superb XLR cable for free with my new Preamp.
    School of thought about balanced XLR cables, given their "Pro" nature, that they aren't as susceptible to the problems of single ended RCA cables.
    And whilst this is true in part, they certainly don't all sound the same!
    I tried probably 4 or 5 different XLR cables from Bluejeans, DH Labs, Morrow Audio and Mogami when looking for the best connection from my Transporter to Dac...and differences could easily be heard.

BUT
    As vinyl was secondary to my listening habits I decided that I didn't need to spend Wireworld money to call this one done.
    The new phonostage had an i2s connection to my Dac which is very cool, especially for ripping vinyl to 24/96, the PS Audio phonostage's analogue outs sounded better into my new Preamp than digital i2s connection via my Dac.
    The new Pre's very transparent and it's letting the quality of the phonostage's output stage show how good it actually is.

So needed an XLR cable here, but didn't want to break the bank.
    As it happened, Igloo Audio sell their own XLR cable assembled from modified Neutrik/ Mogami stock parts, and it measures superbly in terms of impedance and capacitance
    Being sold as "absolutely transparent" and Details here:
    http://silvermogwai.com/

Getting one for free, and even before the new Pre and cables I LOVED the sound of my vinyl rig hooked up with the Firebottle phonostage even with Klotz MC5000 cable into my old Densen pre...WAY more than good enough.
    The new set up is a lot,lot better.
    Vinyl...done.
    Was going to get my SME V rewired with Kondo silver cable...naa, not necessary.

So thats interconnect cables done and dusted then.
    Next up, New Adventures in (powering) Hifi.
    Mains cables 'n such.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 02-02-2019 at 16:24.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

BTW The new Pre was designed by this guy:
    (Designed for Constellation, Infinity, Infinity class-A, Conrad-Johnson, and Marantz)

Last edited by Gazjam; 02-02-2019 at 18:05.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Brian.

Good post mate . I'm really looking forward to getting over to yours next week . Your system's going through so many changes in such a short space of time . It's really hard to keep up
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Good stuff. Always interesting reading your various 'mutterings' on audio, Gaz-baz... So, I remember asking your somewhere, I forget where, what your new valve preamp was, and so don't know if you replied or not.

So, I'll ask again here, since it's your Gallery thread... What is it, and could we have some pics of the beastie?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

Lol... Ok, but when you reveal it, I'd like to know what the big secret was - and it better be good!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Gary.

So...couple of things have happened, time for an update.

Since getting the PS Audio dac I've became a bit of a fanboy of theirs, and wanting to make the most of my SET valve power amp I looked to upgrade my Densen Preamp.
    An awesome bit of kit, sent it back to Densen for full service and recapping (and they replaced the two transformers as well) so sounded wonderful.
    But PS Audio did a matching preamp to the Dac, and by all accounts it was something really special sounding.
    Information on it fromPS Audio's website here:
    https://www.psaudio.com/products/bhk...-preamplifier/

Short answer, wow.
    Significant upgrade over the Densen and lets me brings out the best of the rest of the system.
    Some pics:

Double boxed and well packaged...

Front:

Rear Panel - LOTS of input options. Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA for each input

Notice that hatch on the top panel, the one with the two screws?
    This comes away and lets you get access to the two valves on it's input stage - PS Audio encourage valve rolling,for myself I stuck with the recommended types that the amps designer Bascom H King prefers.
    Good enough for me!
    Really high quality caps and components in this thing - its really top notch stuff.

In place with the matching Dac:
    Last edited by Gazjam; 20-08-2019 at 18:47.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

You tease. That's not some pics.. Looks great
    Ah more pic.. Ti's a fair chunk of gear mate. I fancied one of their bits of kit too but was too rich for me. Think it was the phono
    Last edited by struth; 20-08-2019 at 18:44.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast