+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 74 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm Alan.

That's very interesting Gaz, plus finding an alternative manufacturer that comes up with the goods.

I'm not sure about the 'Polyethylene dielectric insulation layer ensures low capacitance and low series resistance'
    Surely that should be impedance in the context of dielectric insulation.

This is the second instance I have heard of where apparently bog standard OFC materials combine to give superior results.
    I use the term 'bog standard' as I firmly believe that better quality copper, OCC or Triple-C, is the gold standard.

I wonder if ghostcable investigated OCC or Triple-C.

All my analogue cabling (IC's and speaker) is OCC.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Brian.

Well, I was over at Gary's place a few weeks ago and spent a few hours listening to his excellent system. Today I paid him another visit and spent 3 hours again having a listen to his system with these new cables in place and I must say his system has improved very audibly IMO. I'm not going to get into the whys and buts because I just don't know. All I can say is that these new cables have a quality feel about them and the plugs, in particular, look excellent. All in all a very nice improvement IMO.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Well, I was over at Gary's place a few weeks ago and spent a few hours listening to his excellent system. Today I paid him another visit and spent 3 hours again having a listen to his system with these new cables in place and I must say his system has improved very audibly IMO. I'm not going to get into the whys and buts because I just don't know. All I can say is that these new cables have a quality feel about them and the plugs, in particular, look excellent. All in all a very nice improvement IMO.
    Good to get to hear another system and your favourite subject (cables!) I know you have a lot of experience with them so they must have been good if you heard an improvement in SQ.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Good to get to hear another system and your favourite subject (cables!) I know you have a lot of experience with them so they must have been good if you heard an improvement in SQ.
    Very obvious improvements in all areas James. Unfortunately I couldn't get a listen to Gary's vinyl system today because his phono stage was unavailable, but the digital side was outstanding today. The new cables have taken it to another level. I know they weren't particularly cheap, but money well spent judging by what I heard today.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Gary.

You spoke a lot of sense there Barry, much of which I agree with.

Strong agree on cables being part of a cohesive 'Whole'
    Everythings about synegy with what you have...

However in this case,
    I will defer to my own "any Pro cable sounds the same" vs THIS cable opinion (in my case Mogami 2549 terminated with Neutriks) ... As well as opinions of other folks having listened and compared the same.

Not all XLRs sound the same, you said yourself you preferred Neumann and EMT?

From direct comaprison with other XLRs within my own system,
    The Ghost cables are game changers.

Not having a pop Sir,
    Just sayin' the discussion that all XLRs of a certain type "must" sound the same is nonsense, I'd posit PARTICULARLY in replay.

I trust my ears, the Mastering Engineer at Ghost spent 6 years prototyping and bringing his cable to market, and other engineers he sent sample cables out to did too..
    I mean,
    If you dont trust your ears, what are you left to listen with?

Thats what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    LOL - nobody pissed on my cornflakes! Actually, I don't eat cornflakes; breakfast today was muesli with Greek yogurt, toast and Mocca coffee.

But I digress. Yes, I did read the 'blurb' by Ghost Cable, and interesting reading it makes. First of all, they make the correct statement that cables have no (intrinsic) sound of their own but do possess electrical properties (line resistance and capacitance, etc.) which interact with those of the items between which they connect.

They then go on to say that their cables have found favour with guitarists who like the way the cables affect the sound of their guitars. This is entirely understandable as the pickups of electric guitars have a high resistance (anywhere between 5K and 20K), so the cable capacitance will affect the high-frequency roll-off. Indeed I have seen vendors selling cable having a range of line capacitances, so the user can choose one which best provides the sound he seeks.

The important thing to note is that the guitar, cable, and amplifier constitute an instrument; the cable being as important to the overall sound as much as the choice of strings. Ghost Cables then say their cables have also found favour with recording studios where recording, mixing, editing, and re-mastering are done. All of these activities affect the overall sound and as such create the final sound, so it could be argued they too are instrumental. Once the final tape is made for the production of CDs and LPs, the 'sound' has been fixed.

When it comes to the reproduction of CDs or LPs, what is required is that all of the reproducing equipment should be as neutral as possible, including all the cables and interconnects. In the case of the cables, this is not hard to achieve as the impedance of the source will be low (very low, a few Ohms for solid-state gear, and about 1kOhm for valved gear), so any high-frequency interaction will be small, often beyond the upper hearing limit. So Ghost Cables need have no advantage over any other quality cable; and the diagram showing their construction looks no different from that of other manufacturers such as Klotz, Van Damme, Mogami etc. The use of an isolated carbonised nylon braid as an RFI shield is not really effective: it would have been better to have used a semi-conducting sheath [I]in contact[I] with the outer braid.

So yes, a well-made cable which will perform well, but essentially little different from the competition when used for sound reproduction. The chat about cable directionality and 'burn-in' is nonsense but does no harm.

If you are pleased with your Ghost Cables Gary then good for you - enjoy them. As regards the ratio of interconnect to equipment pricing - I don't really have an opinion, save to say that whilst my preamps, CDPs and power amps each cost thousands, I still prefer to make up my own cables which probably only cost no more than £20 for a set.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 13-01-2023 at 00:42.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Adrian.

Gary did you investigate or try these, the blurb by the original developer and his background is quite interesting and makes some sense. Whether applying what he found out in another sector is worthwhile or of benefit in a hifi scenario I will leave you to decide.

You just might need to try them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

Have 2 sets of the Ghost+ XLRs now, 'tween Pre and Power amps, and Dac and Pre.

Will get another pair for the new phonestage when that drops.
    Come 'pre cooked' with 75hrs on them, but take a few weeks to fully open up.
    More so than any other cable I think I've had.

System fully balanced now, including AC power to the system.

Going balanced was a gamechanger for me, and these cables are about _in the Designers words, from a mastering/mixing perspective - "Preservation not presentation".
    Nothing added nothing taken away?

Always hated the idea of cables as Tone controls, much rather the old 'straight wire with gain' approach, and these balanced cables are exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Gary did you investigate or try these, the blurb by the original developer and his background is quite interesting and makes some sense. Whether applying what he found out in another sector is worthwhile or of benefit in a hifi scenario I will leave you to decide.

You just might need to try them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I've been fully balanced from source to speaker for a few years now. The only source left unbalanced is vinyl playback (ironic, seeing as pickup cartridges are inherently balanced), but I have yet to find an RIAA stage that is fully balanced (I have looked at the Aqvox amplifier, but don't agree with the idea that low output MC should be treated as current sources, apart from the less than staggering reviews they receive).
    Last edited by Barry; 17-04-2023 at 18:13. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I thought the Aqvox was outstandingly good.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I thought the Aqvox was outstandingly good.
    I have only looked at the specification and read reviews of the Aqvox, I have yet to hear one.

Sadly they are no longer made in Germany and are no longer available in black.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 74 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast