+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 74 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm Gary.

Thanks Guys.

Aye,
    lesson learned...stay away from the naughty naughty when tipsy whipsy.

Could be worse,
    could have been a Gullwing like Ali's...
    Think I'd have thrown myself out the window if that happened to me!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I did think about it lol.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mark.

The words from the dealer should have been ringing in my ears "whatever you do, only use the mounting bolts supplied" as he loaned me his Demo Ortofon MC3000mk2.

So of course, I knew better, thats why I had steel allen head bolts for cartridges even those with ceramic bodies !

So allen key in hand I applied that final bit of pressure. What followed seemed like a distant clap of thunder but alas no, it was the sound of the ceramic mounting lug departing from the cartridge body !

Thank goodness for household accidental damage insurance.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm Grant.

sure he was chuffed still we all make errors. glad u had insurance.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mark.

Well that was about 30 years ago and we still spend about an hour on the phone when we call each other!! He's no longer a retailer, he's now a designer manufacturer and distributor. So I think he's got over it ! Nevertheless a valuable lesson learned always "listen to" or read the instructions.

Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I too have damaged a cartridge that was loaned to me - though it wasn't quite as expensive as your MC3000. And the loaner and I are still friends.
    Last edited by Barry; 31-07-2022 at 13:31. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Mark.

I suspect in these days of scams and fraudsters plaguing the Internet and social media very few dealers loan out equipment and certainly not without a hefty deposit or card pre-authorisation !

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    I suspect in these days of scams and fraudsters plaguing the Internet and social media very few dealers loan out equipment and certainly not without a hefty deposit or card pre-authorisation !

My local dealer - now long gone - would not loan equipment out, even if you offered to deposit the full asking price in cash, pick the equipment up just before he closed on Saturday and bring it back the second he opened on Monday morning. And that was back when the internet was in its infancy and the term 'social media' did not exist.

If there's no trust, then there's no business.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

never been a local dealer here tnk.. you'd need to go to a city, and you being outwith city by a fair bit would likely cause them to say no.. our nearest would have been falkirk i guess then edinburgh where you would have a few
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My local dealer - now long gone - would not loan equipment out, even if you offered to deposit the full asking price in cash, pick the equipment up just before he closed on Saturday and bring it back the second he opened on Monday morning. And that was back when the internet was in its infancy and the term 'social media' did not exist.

If there's no trust, then there's no business.
    There was once a dealer I knew who would not sell you anything unless you had heard the item(s) in question in your own system at home. You would deposit the asking price on a Friday and take the goods away to listen to over the weekend. If you liked the item(s), all well and good, you would get a recipt and guarantee. If you didn't get on with the item(s), you would return on the Monday with them and your deposit would be refunded.

The arrangement applied to used as well as new items.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 74 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast