+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 74 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye, hopefully get that up and running sometime soon.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

H’ok...
    next step of the amp journey.

Taking all my findings here as relative...as it’s not through my final speakers...but the Dali’s I run at the moment are transparent enough to let me hear differences
    in terms of amp drive, shifting air and general quality what I’ve got is good enough.
    And I can carry the results forward when upgrading the speakers.

Up till now, for the last couple of weeks, I’d hooked up the recently serviced Densen DM30 power amp to my PS Audio BHK preamp.
    Been enjoying the tunes on that setup for the last week or so.
    My baseline for this comparison was against the Meridian 557 hooked up to the BHK Pre, which I ran for 6 months or so before that.
    Different Pre’s hooked up to different power amps, only way to know what works with what is to listen, and trust my ears...ignoring cost, Brand name, what should work best “on paper”.

Have to say swapping in different power amps can make a noticeable difference in sound, I liked what the Densen power amp brought over the Meridian...a sense of ‘fun’ and groove about the music, but it lost something too...sounding a bit like hearing the music behind a glass wall.
    You knew it was there but it seemed detached in that you observed it rather than felt it.

Too easy to engage the audiophile brain with all this stuff, (see what I mean? ) so only trusting my ears in this.

So,
    yesterday swapped in the matching DM20 Densen pre with it’s power amp sibling.
    All Densen now, what’s the story?

Well, swapping out the BHK preamp what I LOSE, aside the general terrific sound quality of the thing, is a great built in headphone amp and fully balanced XLR connections between my Dac and power amp, using top end XLR cables.
    The “on paper” part of my Hifi brain says don’t go there...
    but I’ve decided to trust my ears with this.

Have various pre/power amp combinations and just want to listen, fit n forget and say amps now done, same way I have elsewhere in the setup.
    Time to step off the roundabout and get on with just enjoying the music.

Densen’s sound awesome together. Wow.

From the get-go there was a sense of ‘life’ and boogie about the sound that drew you in.
    Same on both vinyl, CD and digital (and even YouTube played through my Dac) there was a big, wide open valve sounding midrange that filled the room.
    The amps had a warm character to them, but extremely crisp and detailed too.
    At both extremes the low end was never too warm (with the implications that suggests) or the top end too detailed (with same..)

The combination just sounds “right” in a way that makes you forget about the Hifi stuff and the kit.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Well..almost.

Something in the mix is making the background hiss very slightly more than the BHK Pre setup, suspect losing the balanced connections may be a factor here.
    Its very slight and it’s gone as soon as you play music, but need some time with it to see if it’s gonna be an issue.
    The Densen Preamp was unplugged for months, want some time with it powered up before I make a call on what it can do.
    Elvis Costello is currently playing an acoustic set in my room in a way I’ve not hear come together and sound “alive” as well before...so there’s always that to counter against it.

Enjoying the Danish supermodels for the next week or so, chilling out and letting them soak into my bones, then the final combination to try is swapping in the big beastie Meridian 557 power amp with the Densen big knobs pre.

I’ll know if any magics lost or if the British bruiser Meridian has a better chance to shine hooked up to the Densen Preamp.
    Maybe lose the slight background hiss too...if it doesn’t vanish on its own with the Densen powered up for a few days from cold.
    My Dacs got a lossless digital volume control, so another thing I can try is playing around with the amp setup’s gainn structure, see if that has an effect on anything.
    See what happens.

Like everything in Hifi land, there’s always a trade off.
    Getting there, and enjoying the journey, but nowadays looking to step off the kit rat-race and enjoy what I’ve got.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 29-11-2020 at 12:33.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'm confused, lol!

Could you give us a précis, and outline the current state of play [your preferred option - the 'winner', as it were], as briefly and succinctly as possible, please?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

No winner yet matey,
    until I’ve heard the last pre/power combination together, the Meridian 557 power with the Densen Pre.

So far,
    Enjoying music more with the Densen combo most,
    1 more combo to try, next weekend or next then I’ll make the call.

too many black boxes!

The games afoot Watson.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 29-11-2020 at 18:24.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lolz - ah see yer thinkin' there, Batman!

Not surprised though that the Densies are dancin'.... They're renowned as boogie monstas!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Yeah,
    Talk about ‘air guitar’...

These Danish boxes are a bit special.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Got a thing for the record player: Origin Live Gravity One.
    https://www.originlive.com/hi-fi/tur...d-weight-best/

Not a clamp, more a weight...but even that doesn’t really describe it as there’s next to no weight in it, about 70gms I think?
    Im calling it a Damper.

No vibration from bearing or chassis with my deck, but always that from the record itself?
    Took a punt one one of these after reading really good reviews and wondered if it would bring anything to the P10.

It absolutely does, good improvement across the board. Seems to bring out more of the deck’s “Magic Sauce”.
    Very surprised.

Adds to the look of the deck too,
    part of the deal along with the custom plinth I made for it, which is always cool.

AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

If it works it works, hence worth the money.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Still monkeying about with turntable isolation...
    After this calling it done. Again.

Tried the original P10 rubber feet under the SDS plates, previously they sat directly on the glass surface.

So that’s:

Turntable plinth
    . Isoacoustic Orea isolation feet
    . Stiff ‘n light bamboo platform
    . SDS isolation plates
    . P10 rubber feet

The Rega feet are quite a clever design, have little “blips” at the top, further isolating what they sit under.
    Rubber on glass works well I’ve found.

So,
    original plan was to get the deck up off the glass surface, job done.
    Been a fun wee project, and I much prefer the way the P10 looks on the rack.
    it’s custom now, and has more size and presence to it.

Few visual nods here and there to other turntables I like, which is cool.

Nice uptick in sound, can hear a bit more space around the instruments on a good recording.
    Jobs a good ‘Un.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 23-01-2021 at 13:40.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 74 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast