+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Front end swaps...you mean everything from the Preamp backwards Adrian?
    Suspect its the Pre, as even with nothing connected Im still getting the hiss on all inputs, RCA and XLR.

Thats why I was thinking attenuators, reduce the gain between Pre and power.
    Never had to tackle this before an interesting problem!
    Why not try a simple passive pre like a Tisbury foe £130, I had one and it was great. As long as you have .5 to 1v feeds you should be fine with an amp like that I used mine with a Meridian 557 and a pair of 308 mono blocks
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

Thanks Adrian,
    Sure its gain will maybe eliminate the hiss, but loath though to discard my current Preamp it brings a helluva lot to the table.
    So keeping my Pre, may change out the input valves as an option?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Adrian.

Hi Gary, Personally I have mixed views on pre-amps, in my experience if you can loose it and manage with the pure signal to the power stage then you get closer to reality. It’s a difficult one.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

I'll sound "sanity check" again a direct connection from my Dac to power amp tomorrow, given I have a completely different power amp.
    Didn't make sense when I had the 300B SET, see what happens with a Beefy solid state.

Makes sense to try.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Ok,
    In this mornings fun I swapped out the Premp and connected the Dac direct to power amp.
    Slightly less hiss, but sound quality dropped away, sounded flatter and more like a recording of a song rather than people playing instruments in the room.
    So back in went the Pre.

Funny thing...
    I’ve kept the Rotel amp powered on since I first hooked it up, either my brains getting used to it or there’s less hiss from the amp with some hours on it now.
    If it hadn’t been switched on since January this might make sense?

Maybe the amps stabilising a bit after being off for 3 months...
    Anyway, whatever the reason I’m happy to say I don’t really notice the hiss anymore.

Cool.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Alan.

That's excellent Gaz.

With regard to being above your pay grade that's crap. If you can wire in balanced mains you can attach a couple of resistors in an amp.
    I am making the assumption that there is a silk screen on the PCB showing the component references.

What position is your volume control at, to judge the level of system gain?

I'm Gary.

The service manuals online Alan, which is handy!
    https://www.vintageshifi.com/reperto...ice-Manual.pdf

Balance volume between setting on the amp with digital volume setting on the Dac.
    Pre at 53
    Dac between 20 and 40 depending on music.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Took a different tack looking at the slight hiss I'm still getting with the Rotel power amp?
    My Preamp has a valve driven input stage, and there's quite a lot of adjustability built in with it - so had a look at that.

You can swap out valves so the sound is tweakable, can be set to use either 12V 12AU7 tubes or 6/7 volt tubes.
    Additionally you can set the bias current to be 4 or 5ma, so a few different permutations to try and see if it has an effect on the hiss.

From the Manual:

If I was running less efficient speakers it wouldn't be an issue, but at 95dB...
    Ordered some different input valves coming today, see how I get on.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    If I was running less efficient speakers it wouldn't be an issue, but at 95dB...
    Ordered some different input valves coming today, see how I get on.
    I'm in the same boat Gaz . . . except my speakers are over 100db! I've actually managed to all but eliminate the hiss using certain tubes . . . but not the ones I want of course.

The ones I want to run are new(ish) so may quieten down a little I'm hoping. The preamp is also very high gain for the power amp anyway. I tried -10db attenuators but it murdered the sound. A sound which I'm very happy with bar the hiss between tracks.

I'm considering putting a higher value resistor in the output path too.

Always a compromise somewhere I feel . . . some adjustable gain and volume in our preamps would be darn useful right now.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Gary.

Hey Chris,
    Yup, more times than not there's always a trade off...

Have a set of Tungstram ECC-82's which when ran at 5ma sound amazingly transparent and dynamic, literally perfect.
    Apart from increased hiss.
    Knock the bias current back to 4ma, hiss drops a lot...but so does the "magic".

Some brand new valves to roll in, my other ones are NOS and have a fair amount of time on them, so will see what happens.

The JJ 12AU7 pair are thought very highly with other guys with the same pre-amp, so fingers crossed.
    Glad to hear your experience of Attenuators, that was maybe a road I was going to go down.
    The higher value resistor is a good shout from Alan, in the queue if different valves don't sort it.

TBH unless I put the ECC-82s in at 5ma, all other combo's are liveable, but want that magic without the hiss - if possible!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 74 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast