+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 74 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm Gary.

Cheers Alan.

Did some housekeeping on it before plugging it in and leaving it to warm up.
    Exposed fresh copper on the mains cable and fitted a new silver plated 13A plug with a decent fuse.
    New speaker cable connections too, don’t think it’s been switched on in Months since it was tested as working in January.
    So a couple of days before I make up my mind on it.

From first test at switch on though, quite different sounding than before, much better at the low end.
    Which is what I was after, great.

Some pics:
    Compared to the smaller amp from the 2nd system, showing the difference in size.
    All about the power supply in the amp, in comparison a lot bigger and higher rated.

After a Bit of a clean up the amps almost like new, been lucky with this one.
    Can tell its been well looked and was handed in as a Trade in.
    An older amp though, so wanted to open it up and check for any swollen caps or brown outs on resistors.
    Clean as a whistle, a good result.
    Massive transformer, beefy power supply caps and the thing weigh’s a ton. Exactly what you’d want in a power amp.

Is this 10K uF rating indicative of a strong power output? I’ve read the amp can punt out a constant 30 amps.
    Four internal glass fuses...Some room for improvement then.

Dual Mono construction, and able to bridge it to a monoblock with a lot more than it’s 130 watts in stereo mode.

Looks the biz in the system rack, sounding good so far, a big jump in quality particularly in the low end over its little brother the RB-971.
    Just let it do its thing in the background for a couple of days then I’ll sit down for a proper listen.

So a good result so far, think it’s been a good punt!

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I have had some experience of checking over the really hi-end Japanese amplifiers of yesteryear, they are quite impressive.
    Also updating some of the phono amps with modern capacitors.

Good stuff Gaz
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Hmnn..
    Bit more background hiss than I’m used to.
    Think the old gain structure with efficient speakers Scenario is kicking in.
    My Pre has a valve input stage, wondering if I’m hearing tube noise...

Do Rothwell attenuators work to lower amp gain? Thinking -10dB or so.
    Wondering if they affect Sound quality or just lower amp gain.

Anyone any direct experience of using ‘em to lower background hiss?

thanks.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Adrian.

Great looking amp, should do the business, these old beasts were well respected when new. I suspect your hiss may be coming from what’s in front of it, maybe time to do some front end swaps to try and find the cause , if you can.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Rob.

If the gain of both amps is the same you could bridge them and then the fun really starts! Any difference in WPC is irrelevant.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Gary.

Front end swaps...you mean everything from the Preamp backwards Adrian?
    Suspect its the Pre, as even with nothing connected Im still getting the hiss on all inputs, RCA and XLR.

Thats why I was thinking attenuators, reduce the gain between Pre and power.
    Never had to tackle this before an interesting problem!

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Great looking amp, should do the business, these old beasts were well respected when new. I suspect your hiss may be coming from what’s in front of it, maybe time to do some front end swaps to try and find the cause , if you can.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Cheers Rob,

So you saing if the gain in the same one channel wouldnt be quieter than the other given ones quite a lower watts per channel?
    New to me this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    If the gain of both amps is the same you could bridge them and then the fun really starts! Any difference in WPC is irrelevant.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm inthescottishmafia.

You using the PS Audio as a pre?

Does it not have adjustable gain?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Its a PS Audio Preamp I use Ali yeah,not the Dac as a digital volume straight into the power amp.

Volume at zero onPre still hiss, but of course gain and volume are different
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Alan.

Rather than use external attenuators why not reduce the gain of the amplifier itself?

Alter R651 and 652, 18K, I suggest tacking an additional 18K in parallel with each one.
    Don't use in monoblock mode unless you do the same with R561.

I'm Gary.

Whoa...

way above my paygrade Alan!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 74 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast