+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 74 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Looks like it’ll be high capacitance, which may be an issue in some systems.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Looks like it’ll be high capacitance, which may be an issue in some systems.
    Yes entirely possible but can also use a thinner gauge (so less strands in total) I believe the improvement may be due to each strand having its own individual dialectic (teflon) and the increased capacitance is outweighed by the improvement in clarity. As well as the OCC cable sounding better than OFC. I may try some non individually stranded cable at some point (one dialectic) but it does sound excellent in this configuration. As always system dependent potentially.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Alan.

High capacitance to what?

There are two 'plates' to a capacitor, I don't see another one. If you mean between each cable then they are all at the same potential so a non issue IMB.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    High capacitance to what?

There are two 'plates' to a capacitor, I don't see another one. If you mean between each cable then they are all at the same potential so a non issue IMB.
    Agreed - but maybe the suggestion is that those strands with the clear insulation are separated from those with the coloured insulation, each set then being connected together and the whole used as a two-wire system. Now that would have high capacitance. But capacitance is not much of a concern with speaker cables. Far more important are low loop resistance and low loop inductance.

I'm amused by the belief that the long crystal size achieved by the Ohno continuous cast process is maintained once the wires are plaited together, or bent into a radius which exceeds the wire's natural bend radius. I'm also sceptical about the 99.99999% copper purity claimed; China is known for the often poor quality of copper it produces.
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Having moved to OCC for interconnects and speaker cable I can attest its superiority for signal transfer.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm amused by the belief that the long crystal size achieved by the Ohno continuous cast process is maintained once the wires are plaited together, or bent into a radius which exceeds the wire's natural bend radius. I'm also sceptical about the 99.99999% copper purity claimed; China is known for the often poor quality of copper it produces.
    I am amused by the improvement in SQ I'm getting from cables costing a pittance. The copper is not produced in China, I think most of it is mined in Taiwan/Malaysia possibly. Whether their claims of purity are accurate or not is inconsequential to me so long as they sound better, they do.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Whatever works for you is fine by me. Happy listening

(Regardless of where the copper ore is mined, the refinement will be carried out elsewhere.)
    Last edited by Barry; 11-07-2021 at 22:17.
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Interesting cable that Chris, and not expensive either just for the ammount of cable you get for your money.

Similar construction n design philosophy to the Morrow SP7 I use too.
    (Individually insulated cores)

https://www.morrowaudio.com/pages/ssi-cable-technology
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Some more modding schennanigans on the way...
    Lining up my next system project, this one should be a doozy.

Similar to what I did with my Oppo 203 HERE:
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ajor-Oppo-mods

I'm looking to hot Rod my PS Audio Directstream Dac.

That, along with the Oppo, are the hub of the digital setup and any gains here will lift the whole system.
    So will improve a lot of things, Streaming, CD playback, YouTube music, Netflix movies...etc.

I'm looking at:

1)
    Upgrading the audio transformers on the Analogue board with beefier, quieter, better ones.
    The first (post prototype) dac was originally designed around these specific transformers, but lesser ones were used when it went into production to keep the cost down.

Drop in replacement, Same pin arrangement as the stock one, desolder and fit.
    Probably get someone else to do this work, bit above my paygrade soldering skills wise!

Big thread over on PS Audio forums about it, all saying upgrades take dac to the next level.
    Should be good. Someone else's pics that's done the Mod.

On their way from Germany, should land sometime next week.

Old Transformers

New Transformers

2)
    External linear power supply to power the Analogue board.

Need to drill out hole in back panel blanking plate to fit 4 pin DC power socket, and make up appropriate internal DC cable to sit between socket and jumper on the board.
    Will be looking up best sounding hookup wire, connectors n stuff as the Project rolls on.

As to linear power supply, originally thought Paul Hynes, but I don't think they are available anymore, so looked around and found this one.
    Best of the rest apparently, and matches the dacs quality well I think.

Farad Super3

https://faradpowersupplies.com/shop/...o/dc_output-5v

It's very well reviewed too.
    https://faradpowersupplies.com/shop/...3-testimonials

3)
    Synergistic Research Orange Fuse
    Have SR fused elsewhere in my system and (to my ears ) make an appreciable improvement.

Wanting to squeeze the best out the Dac...especially as it's had its final FPGA firmware update...is a good plan, and from experience a good fuse can improve things.
    Circuit breaker would be better, but cant have everything!

Looking forward to see what comes out at the end.
    Wish me luck!

Last edited by Gazjam; 11-07-2021 at 09:20.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Speaking of fuses, this arrived this morning.

Got this for the Audiolab CD transport.

It responded well to better isolation feet and case damping - the usual CD player mods - so this should bring a little extra too.
    This fuse gets great write ups, and whilst at £38 its not chump change, if it improves things its money well spent.

A weekend of enjoying my CDs awaits.

Didn't want to go TOO crazy with a fuse for this, better to put a "good enough improvement" fuse in there and maybe improve the digital cable to the Dac later on?

Have replaced fuses with better in a few bits of kit now, and doing this can genuinely make a surprising improvement.
    Best of the bunch are SR fuses imo, couple of SR Blacks dotted about and now have a Blue in my Pre-amp.
    Swapped out the input 12AU7 valves in my Pre-Amp recently,
    with the SR fuse added as well, really hearing what the BHK Pre can do without the bottleneck of a stock fuse in there.

Couple of SR Orange fuses coming next week, one for the big Meridian poweramp, another for the Dac.
    Decided to splurge with these two, its good kit, might as well get the best out of it.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 31-07-2021 at 20:49.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 74 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast