+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm Grant.

that should keep u busy gary... hows the espressos working out??
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Done any room treatment?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Done any room treatment?
    Tried that Martin,
    felt it robbed the music of some "life"?
    Luckily, any bass room nodes seem to be out of earshot

Something that worked though was when I got the new speakers I measured out the room, with "correct" distance ratio's for placing the speaker away from rear and side walls.
    That worked well for soundstaging and bass, nice improvement.

Technically my rooms a good candidate for treatment, huge glass picturframe on back wall, large windows to one side, but it kinda just works.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Tried that Martin,
    felt it robbed the music of some "life"?
    yep that can happen. Not something you can do haphazardly. Plus sometimes a room just works with the normal furnishings and more is overkill.

I just have a little to absorb first reflections and in one corner to kill some bounce I was getting. Need to do the opposite corner too but haven't got around to ordering the glue to put the foam tiles up. I'll do that now I think while it's on my mind
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    that should keep u busy gary... hows the espressos working out??
    Enjoying my (sensibly moderated) two cups of black gold per day.
    Have the Sage Grinder dialled in to give the right ammount of coffee for the PID settings I've settled on with the Lelit.

There's two programmable brewing Presets you can dial in,
    after a bit of trial and error I'm more than happy with the results, and as both grinder and machine are programmed in the results are consistent too.

Santa Claus brought me some 'propa' accessories for the machine, improved on the coffee quality a fair bit?

Using a heavy Tamper with the machine makes things a lot better than the plastic lightweight dollhouse patio table that came with it.
    The 58.5mm size was recommended for my machine, so went with Lelit's own.
    Makes for a far better result,
    Weighs a ton though!
    Last edited by Gazjam; 15-01-2022 at 15:21.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    yep that can happen. Not something you can do haphazardly. Plus sometimes a room just works with the normal furnishings and more is overkill.

I just have a little to absorb first reflections and in one corner to kill some bounce I was getting. Need to do the opposite corner too but haven't got around to ordering the glue to put the foam tiles up. I'll do that now I think while it's on my mind
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

looks good; nice jug too
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Was Marco's recommendation,
    he was right on this one!

...don't let on I said that though

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    looks good; nice jug too
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Was Marco's recommendation,
    he was right on this one!

...don't let on I said that though
    lol.. what is it? a fellows maybe?
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

First up for 2022

PS AUDIO Directstream Dac Upgrades
    The push here is to try and improve on what is already a great sounding Dac?

Its unusual in its FPGA architecture in that it doesn't have a "dac chip" as such, and its sound can be improved with firmware updates.
    It came out in 2015 and every year since PS Audio has provided these free upgrades.

All things come to an end though,
    PS Audio are working on a MKII version with improved internal components, higher spec FPGA chip, improved transformers and the like.
    So no more annual Firmware improvements.

Not all's lost though.
    The Dacs designer Ted Smith, a frequent poster on the more technical aspects of his Dac on the PS Audio forum
    suggested a few ways his older MKI Dac could be improved, as He wont be writing any more firmware updates for it.

There is a LONG "Modding the Directstream Dac" thread on PS Audio forum and all of these mods have been successfully done by many folks.
    All say they lift the Dac up to the next level.

I've already fitted an SR Orange fuse internally in the Dac,
    it responds well to clean AC power, so lets find out.
    I'm gonna do them all.

NAMELY:

Improved analogue output board Transformers
    For BOM cost savings they went with cheaper ones in 2015, the better ones the Dac was designed around are still available, and are a straight pin replacement swap out.
    I have the improved Transformers, and will ship out the Analogue board to get someone handier with a soldering iron than I to swap them out.

EMI/RFI suppression inside the Dac.
    Placement of this material at key "noisy" areas inside the Dac to reduce electrical noise.
    (Complete underside of digital board, Rear of the display, key chips etc)
    I have several sheets of Stillpoints ERS Fabric for the job.

Independent linear power supply/ Isolation of the Digital and Analogue stages of the Dac.

High End digital designs like DCS, MSB and the like make effort on clean power, and separating the digital and analogue stages.
    Its all about reducing electrical noise and cross-talk inside the Dac.

As luck and circumstance would have it,
    A community spirited, US based PS Audio fan and Electrical Engineer over on the Forum:
    Designed, manufactured and sold as a Forum "Group Buy" a power supply control board, to do exactly this and allow the Analogue board to be independently powered by its own linear power supply.
    I was in on the Group Buy, and have the linear power supply board. Will be buying quality LPS for the Dac later this Year.

SO WITH ALL THAT SAID,
    Some open heart Dac surgery to commence!

Can't do everything right away:
    1. Don't have a linear power supply to isolate/separately power the analogue board
    2. Getting improved Transformers fitted by a 3rd party

What I can do though:

1. Have the Stillpoints ERS fabric, will fit it in recommended places to reduce internal RFI/EMI in the Dac.

2. Will fit the power control card anyway, as its designer says it lowers noise "as is" in the dac due to its high quality filtering.

Here goes,
    Wish me Luck!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast