+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 74 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm Gary.

Adrian,

All great info mate thanks!

Be looking at all this stuff in forensic detail after a few weeks of running the boxes in.
    So much stuff variable ATM, hard to make a call what the speaker actually sounds like!

Needs a bit of time to bed in, then I'll be getting the Slide Rule out...if a jobs worth doing, do it right.
    Only plonked them down, spirit levelled them bob-on on their spikes and left well alone.

Fine tuning to follow, and it's worth doing. A bit soon though, but all in good time.

Thanks mate.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

look quite nice those gaz... hope they are up to your gear... which is pretty good stuff
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Not having this, I'll measure mine when I'm home
    You absolute measurebator...
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    look quite nice those gaz... hope they are up to your gear... which is pretty good stuff
    Let's hope so...
    My First shout was a pair of 4.5K Sonus Fabers...

Hearing what I'm currently hearing though, my current thinking is Yeah OK, think my definition of " Good Enough" has been Autobahn driven past at 200 MPH..

Wow.
    These speakers are good.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 08-05-2021 at 15:23.

I'm Lawrence.

Impulse H2 1160mm H x 270mm W x 480mm D

Volume 0.150336 m3

Amphion Krypton 1370 x 240 x 470 mm

Volume 0.154536 m3

Nuff said

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Impulse H2 1160mm H x 270mm W x 480mm D

Volume 0.150336 m3

Nuff said
    mine(edingdales) are near that but lightly less
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good stuff, mate, and noted. Sounds like you're on the right track, then

How much were the Wharfs?

Marco.
    £1200,
    A chunk of change in anyones money, just lucky that I got a pay rise and the Annual bonus this month...
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

4cm shorter....
    Monty you Terrible cu...

SORRY, LAWRENCE YOU absolutely terrible Human Being...

Nuff respect.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Adrian,

All great info mate thanks!

Be looking at all this stuff in forensic detail after a few weeks of running the boxes in.
    So much stuff variable ATM, hard to make a call what the speaker actually sounds like!

Needs a bit of time to bed in, then I'll be getting the Slide Rule out...if a jobs worth doing, do it right.
    Only plonked them down, spirit levelled them bob-on on their spikes and left well alone.

Fine tuning to follow, and it's worth doing. A bit soon though, but all in good time.

Thanks mate.
    Quite agree that you need to let them bed in. My WB's were about 4 years old when I acquired them but they had only been used a few hundred hours. As you know I do a lot of listening, and my system is often playing radio or streaming. I reckon that in a year they have done about 1000 hours, what I found interesting is that they seemed to open up and sound better after about 6 months.

I noticed that you paid £1200 for the Wharfedale EVO 4.4's and were also considering Sonus Faber's. However in my experience price is not always everything in audio/hifi products. Every now and then a manufacturer produces a gem of a product which is not that expensive in relation to the level of sound quality it produces, and can exceed/equal other far more expensive products from others. Wharfedale should know how to design and build a great speaker, after all said and done they have been around a long time. I actually think some manufacturers deliberately over inflate their prices to create an air of exclusivity, when in fact their products are not any better than others out there, its just a matter of finding the VFM products that give great results.

Reading through the reviews for the EVO 4.4's it looks like you may have found a gem. Once you have got them bedded down and optimised position then it will be very interesting to get your thoughts.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Quite agree that you need to let them bed in. My WB's were about 4 years old when I acquired them but they had only been used a few hundred hours. As you know I do a lot of listening, and my system is often playing radio or streaming. I reckon that in a year they have done about 1000 hours, what I found interesting is that they seemed to open up and sound better after about 6 months.

I noticed that you paid £1200 for the Wharfedale EVO 4.4's and were also considering Sonus Faber's. However in my experience price is not always everything in audio/hifi products. Every now and then a manufacturer produces a gem of a product which is not that expensive in relation to the level of sound quality it produces, and can exceed/equal other far more expensive products from others. Wharfedale should know how to design and build a great speaker, after all said and done they have been around a long time. I actually think some manufacturers deliberately over inflate their prices to create an air of exclusivity, when in fact their products are not any better than others out there, its just a matter of finding the VFM products that give great results.

Reading through the reviews for the EVO 4.4's it looks like you may have found a gem. Once you have got them bedded down and optimised position then it will be very interesting to get your thoughts.
    Strong Agree.
    These speakers are Special.

Is there better?
    Course there is

Point is,
    Hearing stuff I've not heard in songs I've enjoyed for over 30 yrs now.

Not Hifi stuff either, Don Henley doing the MTV unplugged concert, never heard THE MAN sing better.
    It's a breathing Human being singing on Stage. Never heard it portrayed better.

Very little time on these speakers, way past the point of asking if these were the right choice.

More to come I'm sure
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 74 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast