+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Thanks for the update mate. Interesting how your TT has gone to the extreme in low mass and produces such an amazing result. Just show how different ways of thinking can be so effective.
    Aye,
    totally agree it’s an interesting one Jim.
    Really does go to show;
    More than one way to get the groove, out the groove...and it’s good to hear the different approaches, see what works for you.

Weirdly, the more right the equipment is, and don’t get me wrong having the gears cool and all, but if done right the less you think about it and the more you focus on the music you love.

Musical engagements where I’m at, and totally buying into Rega’s philosophy here.

Turntable done, MAYBE a new phonostage in the future, know I can do better and hear more of what the P10 can do.
    Just need to pick my stepping off point.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 13-12-2019 at 14:15.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Glad it's doing the biz mate, like to have a listen sometime.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    As a Rega fan and lover of simplicity, that's gorgeous Gaz
    Reminds me of how the original RB250/300 arm was, at the time, the limit of extruded alloy technology.
    Chris.

I'm Gary.

Rega’s definitely pushing the technology with this one.
    I always trust a Hifi company that states their goals, sticks by them and pushes what can be done.

I’ll buy into that, Roy Gandy has had the same design ethos since 1973.
    Works for him, works for me.

If it makes my favourite Albums sound great, I’m in.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 14-12-2019 at 03:17.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

The games afoot...again.
    And just the thing when stuck at home too.

I run a Pre/Power amp setup, and recently moved on from my 300B SET power amp, so needed something to fill the gap.
    Whilst saving up for it's replacement, to fill the gap I brought through the Ebay special solid state power amp from the 2nd system.
    Hadn't given it much thought when I bought it, just needed really that sounded OK for a second system.

But hey, best laid plans and all that?

You get an idea in your head where you want to go with your system then something throws you a curve ball.
    Colour me shocked, turns out this wee Amps a bit of a "Sleeper".

Hooking it up to my main preamp I was taken back by how great it sounded in the big system.
    Mids and top end...perfect.
    Hadn't heard extension and focus like this in my system before. Very impressive.
    Maybe could have done with just a LITTLE bit more low end meat on the bone and grunt though...?
    The synergy with my speakers and Preamp is terrific, just needs that boost at the low end.

So got to thinking... and hatched a cunning plan.
    Given how great this thing sounds hooked up to a 'proper' system, what about it's bigger more powerful brother, would that add the low end I'm after?

From reading around online, it's bigger brother, (a late 90's "giant killer"...it says 'ere...) should do just that.
    A properly built power amp: BIG toroid transformer and caps, Damping Factor of 500 able to provide a constant 30 amps and 33 amps for dynamic peaks.
    130 wpc into 8 ohms, into 95db horns, should be plenty.
    If I want more, down the line have the option later to pick up a second identical power amp and after adjusting a few jumpers on the PCB convert both to bridged monoblocks pushing out 360 wpc.

Not into massive volume just want that low end solidity and grunt that drives the music and has plenty in reserve for those big booms when you need them.

On paper though...
    The big brother amps only a temporary stand in power amp whilst saving for the 300Bs "final" replacement, but given how good it's baby brother from the 2nd system is sounding in the system at the moment...this might just be "good enough" to call it done.
    I'm in a place nowadays where care less about the kit and more about the music, if it sounds "good enough" I'm happy to call it done and enjoy the music so...maybe.

Amps being delivered tomorrow.
    Will enjoy listening this week with it - good stuff when stuck at home.
    (Never thought I'd miss going to work so much though!)

Stick up a couple of pics when its in place.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 14-04-2020 at 11:25.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    The games afoot...again.
    And just the thing when stuck at home too.

Amps being delivered tomorrow.
    Will enjoy listening this week with it - good stuff when stuck at home.
    (Never thought I'd miss going to work so much though!)

Stick up a couple of pics when its in place.
    I will be interested to see what it is that has taken you over to the dark side of amps. When I was waiting fo Amy new Allnic I had a Vincent on loan from a friend which shocked me in a similar way and if it had not been for the fact I had done the deal with the Allnic might have settled down to the Vincent long term, and for 1/5 the price.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

I know Adrian,
    sometimes this hobby has a way of surprising you.

Monday was a Bank Holiday, just just found out the Company I bought the amp from DHL’d it Monday, not Tuesday.
    Quelle surprise...Its just been delivered!

Didn’t expect that.
    Once I get the Hasmat suit on and hose down the box with bleach, I’ll take a look see what it’s all about.
    Might do a bit of housekeeping on it first before switch on.

Its a 1 owner amp with full box etc traded in, so expect it to be in great nick like the photos in the Ad.

But it’s an older amp and wouldn’t do any harm to clean up and deposit the sockets, make sure everything internally is tightened up and maybe strip back the mains cable to fresh copper and fit a new plug.

Once I’ve checked it over and powered up, I’ll leave it burbling away for a couple hours before I sit down to listen.
    Happy days.

Oh,
    it’s one of these. I had it’s baby brother RB-971 in the 2nd system.

Last edited by Gazjam; 14-04-2020 at 14:54.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Martin.

Sometimes you just get that synergy.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

I have had some experience of checking over the really hi-end Japanese amplifiers of yesteryear, they are quite impressive.
    Also updating some of the phono amps with modern capacitors.

Good stuff Gaz

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I have had some experience of checking over the really hi-end Japanese amplifiers of yesteryear, they are quite impressive.
    Also updating some of the phono amps with modern capacitors.

Good stuff Gaz
    Aint they just Alan,

I've a real soft spot for the high end Sansui's in particular
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast