+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 74 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm Martin.

Impressive bit of handiwork that Gaz. Will look like part of the TT when you've put the paint on.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Looking good Gaz, can't wait to see it finished.
    TT: Pro-ject 1.2, Ortofon Blue
    Phono stage: Muffsy
    Cd: Linn Karik
    Dac: Denafrips Ares II
    Amps: Pre: EleKit TU-8500, Power: Cambridge Audio Azur 651W
    Speakers: Chario Hiper Tower 2000
    Cables: Linn, Straight Wire & Chord Clearways
    Headphones:PC, Ifi Zen Air, Sennheiser HD450 & HD569

I'm Gary.

Headphones back in the house after tripping over and breaking the stock 3m cable (of a hungover morning...)

Beyer’s top cable, nice upgrade on paper over stock, see what it brings to the Party.
    The Beyer Amirons are good Cans, great for late night movie watching.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 25-08-2020 at 13:15.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Took a punt on a dedicated CD transport, already had the modded Oppo which sounded great, yeah, but not drawn to listen to CDs on it compared to vinyl or streaming?
    Good Hifi sound though.

After reading some glowing reviews, picked up the Audiolab 6000CDT.

Could always return it if it was just 'OK', but seriously impressed by how good this thing sounds, and not just for the price.
    Not much time on it but already better than the Oppo, just draws you into the song in a way the 203 doesn't.

Solid heavy construction its really well put together.
    Big toroidal transformer in there for a disk spinner, attention payed to the clock before the SPDIF output and has a read ahead buffer,which was the initial draw for me.
    Responds well to quality power and digital cables, which is always a good sign.

Couple of tweaks to build on what it already does:
    Sat it on a set of Isoacoustics Orea feet, and put a small granite slab on top.
    Standard stuff for a disk spinner.

Hooked up over coax, not many hours on it yet and if it keeps improving I might just look at a better digital coaxial cable.
    The Black Car Silverstar I sold here before was the best I'd tried, and its in MKII version now.

Maybe at some point...but this things a keeper.
    Seriously impressed.

Modded Oppo over i2s to Dac on paper should be better, just goes to show cant take anything for granted in this game.
    Ears over specifications every time.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 09-09-2020 at 14:02.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

Ok,
    so STILL not content with it (and still furloughed) decided to “next level” it.

The turntable looking the way it does, it bothered my eye having a rectangular chopping board under it, didn’t look right.
    Did further work on it, to further reduce weight (stiff ‘n light, the Rega way!) I started lopping more bits off it.

The front edge and rear profile now match the shape of the skeletal plinth, cool.
    Dremel’s are handy things?

The central section running up to the back foot; decided I could further reduce weight again and better match the deck’s look by mirroring the 40mm circular cutouts on the white ceramic tone arm brace running to the bearing.
    I also shaped it to mirror the brace as as well, the rectangular block shape caught my eye too much.

So marked the holes, got the circle cutter out, and set to work.

Still to spray paint to match plinth and some minor finessing of some of the curve radii, (yes, I’m fussy!) but 99% done.

Happy with this, been a more than worthwhile furlough project.
    Really good isolation from the glass shelf below, especially with the IsoAcoustic replacement feet and the isolation plates the board sits on.

Turntable isolation...Done.
    All for 20 quid and a lot of elbow grease.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

keeps you sane mate... looks like a good job
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Densen Pre/ Power back in the house.
    Run it for a few weeks then slot the Meridian back in, see which one floats my boat more.
    Very different sounding power amps, Meridian is completely neutral, the Densen sounds more “seductive”, reminds me of my 300B Set, but with more grip and power.
    Like em both for different reasons.

AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Look great mate.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm John.

Densens look beautiful!

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Densen Pre/ Power back in the house.
    Run it for a few weeks then slot the Meridian back in, see which one floats my boat more.
    Very different sounding power amps, Meridian is completely neutral, the Densen sounds more “seductive”, reminds me of my 300B Set, but with more grip and power.
    Like em both for different reasons.

Shiny indeed.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 74 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast