+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Wood KT88 monoblocks £1800

I'm Ian.

Default John Wood KT88 monoblocks £1800

I really thought these were keepers - my last ever buy but money is tight and the increasing need to buy a newer car means they have to go. No serious interest at the orginal asking price of £2300 so now availble for £1800. Collection only from close to Motorway M1 J27/28 (north of Nottingham)

This pair of monoblocks were custom built by John as mirror images Designed to allow close positioning to speakers or both units on a single rack shelf - probably the top shelf as the transformers are huge, taller than the valves.

Specs

AB1 fixed bias circa 100w
    1 RCA input
    4ohm and 8 ohm speaker taps
    Power switch
    1 x JJ ECC81 input valve
    1 x NOS USSR military spec 6H8C phase splitter (6SN7 alternative recommended by JW)
    2 x matched Gold Lion Reissue KT88

• Serviced, checked, revalved and biased in November 2018
    • 6H8C and GL KT88 fitted

W18cm x L38cm (42cm inc speaker terminals) x H22cm
    19kg each

Replacement valves available for £120
    1 quad part worn Sovtek KT88
    1 quad NOS sovtek KT88
    1 pair USSR 6H8C

For those unfamilair with John Wood Amps
    At a risk of sounding like a fanboy I think I can honestly say that most people who have owned John Wood's amps reckon they are the best they have heard/owned. They are hand built, including the transformers, by John in Nottingham. Build quality is exemplary although the looks might be considered a tad functional. You will note for example on the power amps how the transformers are set at 90 degrees to maximise performance. What you cant see is the other 2 transformers inside each power amp and the super neat and tidy wiring. pots to adjust overall bias and bias on each output tube.

I'm Grant.

Nice looking amps

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

not only nice looking but great sounding!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm James.

I would almost like to buy them just to put on show!

Good luck with the sale.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Shaun.

Absolutely stunning. Those chassis would look superb with a coating of car wax.

Very best of luck selling them.

I'm Paul.

Oh they are lovely, my mate has an KT88 integrated from JW and their output is awesome.
    Drove my Boenicke W8s with ease at the Kegworth show, and I use a 500w pc SS amp at home, these speakers are rated at up to 1000w.

Having experience of John’s work I expect they sound wonderful so very GLWTS
    cheers Paul

My main system:
    Linn LP12/PU2/Goldring Eroica + Puresound T10 + EAR834P / Innuos ZENmini2 + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ / Musical Fidelity A5 + L2 mods / Boenicke W8 speakers

I'm paul.

Good luck with the sale. I have a JW KT88 - "2 in 1" monoblocks, in custom blood red. It is awesome!! Before that I had his "6L6", also excellent but I had to sell it to buy the KT88 (i.e. I'm not rich - lol). Excellent build and only took a month to manufacture, despite horrible Siberian weather!
    Spotted yours on Hi-Fi Shark.
    Happy New Year!

(my sig. is out of date!)
    John Wood 6L6 Valve Amp, with:

6L6GC Russian Original (no logo) Output Tubes 4x, supplied by J.Wood.
    ECC81 Mullard NOS Input Tubes 2x
    12AU7 (ECC82) Brimar NOS Input Tubes 2x

Wilson Benesch Actor Loudspeakers.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.
    M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF (co-axial) converter.

HP Pavilion G6 - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU + "The Teddy" 19/3 - 19V 3.5A LPSU.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

Sennheiser HD 558 headset.

I'm Ian.

The JW KT88 are awsome amps in any guise, I am sure the wait was worth while.

Most of the JW dual mono single chasis versions I have seen share the mains transformer, my monoblocks use the same mains transformers as the single chasis versions but there are two of them, one per channel.

As I understand it this should give improve the power supply, because the transformers have more headroom leading to a more stable current flow

I'm Jerry.

Good luck with the sale as they look absolutely superb....if only I had spare hifi funds!
    Regards
    Jerry

SYSTEM under construction

I'm Ian.

Free delivery within 2 hours of Nottingham, or offers anyone?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast