+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HMV in trouble again.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I was in HMV Manchester yesterday, and whilst there were loads of folk browsing, the queues at the tills were not exactly massive.
    I couldn't find what was wanted on the racks, and left without making a purchase.
    The required items have since been ordered on Amazon.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    No need for physical media of any sort.
    Excactly
    Audiophile Tosher

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've never liked shopping, I hate going to the shops in fact so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

As for the boarded up shops I think we are in a transition phase at the moment where people think 'The High Street' will somehow revive, but it won't. Once that is realised change of use will be granted and they'll all be ripped down or converted into accommodation.
    What happens in real life is that folk go into shops to finger the merchandise, then buy it on the internet from the one selling at the lowest price.
    Not a practise that I like or do, but that's the reality of it.

If I check something out in a store I'll buy it there. It's only fair.
    Chris

I'm brian.

What happens in real life is that folk go into shops to finger the merchandise, then buy it on the internet to the one selling at the lowest cost.
    As I said earlier they know the price of everything and the value of nothing !

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    As I said earlier they know the price of everything and the value of nothing !
    We're on the same team.
    That said, once upon a time HMV was a part of an entity collectively known as "the Music Industry", and now they're just pedlars of software.
    They are no longer a part in developing talent, and certainly do not support said talent to the same extent they did when I was my son's age (18YO).
    Chris

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've never liked shopping, I hate going to the shops in fact so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

As for the boarded up shops I think we are in a transition phase at the moment where people think 'The High Street' will somehow revive, but it won't. Once that is realised change of use will be granted and they'll all be ripped down or converted into accommodation.
    I love shopping, *if* it's something nice/fun I like, which I'm shopping for. I can't stand shopping in supermarkets for boring everyday shite. But give me a nice town, with a proper (still thriving) high street, full of interesting shops (many privately owned), which still has 'soul', such as Shrewsbury, and I'll love it - especially if having a nice lunch there is part of the deal!

No, as long as there are 'proper' towns left, such as described, then that's where I'll prefer to do my shopping. I'll use online only for certain things, because it's the practical way to buy them, or when I'm too old or frail to haul my ass into town (some way off yet).

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

High business rates and the lack of plentiful, easy and cheap parking are two factors that are killing the 'high street'.

As for HMV - well it's been a comin' for a few years now. After a couple of bail outs and re-financing attemps, sadly I think this is the end.
    Barry

I'm barry.

No need for physical media of any sort.
    Physical media as in BR etc is still light years ahead in terms picture quality. You are entirely in the hands of music providers for your downloads meaning you never actually have any ownership or control of your chosen media, if they decide to pull the plug, go bust, or loose copyright your stuffed.

Vinyl, CD, BR, are yours to keep and will far outlast any music/video providers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    Physical media as in BR etc is still light years ahead in terms picture quality. You are entirely in the hands of music providers for your downloads meaning you never actually have any ownership or control of your chosen media, if they decide to pull the plug, go bust, or loose copyright your stuffed.

Vinyl, CD, BR, are yours to keep and will far outlast any music/video providers.
    You care about it, I care about it, Joe Public couldn't give a flying wotsit...
    Chris

As folk are bemoaning the woes of HMV, I wonder how much they've spent in HMV in just the last 12 months.
    Personally I have spent around £150.00 on CDs and LP records.

I'm including stuff that I've bought from FOPP too, as they're owned by the same company.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast