+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: HMV in trouble again.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    What a sad state of affairs - HMV in real trouble and all you guys can think about is your belly!
    Whaddya mean? She was only helping him with his French oral!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rob.

I've just received this from HMV:

We’re just getting in touch with a quick update on order number xxxxxx for

XTC

APPLE VENUS

LP

We’re sorry for the delay with your order. We haven't received stock of this item yet but as soon as it arrives in the warehouse we'll dispatch this to you.
    Oh dear.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Monorail, is one of my favs, as you can have lunch in their on-site restaurant, and a few beers afterwards!

You're excluding Record Fayre, in the Merchant City, which is well worth visiting. And you'd discount Rub-a-Dub at your peril, if like me, you love dance music, on 12" singles, or ambient and trance stuff - all of which you can listen to on T/Ts, through headphones, before buying!

I'll compile a full list of all the independent record shops I know of in Glasgow after lunch.

Marco.
    Just been looking through the latest Long Live Vinyl, which has an article on the various Glasgow stores.
    Last edited by rmcin626; 05-01-2019 at 10:58.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm barry.

I'm Martin.

Its gotta be all over bar the shouting. I havent shopped there in more years than I care to remember. I used to go in when there was a dvd sale on and I would pick up some of the offers or a boxset or two...so laterly it wasnt even for music. The sale signs drew me in for a gander but apart from a few loss leaders it wasnt anywhere near good prices. I had more money then sense on those shopping trips

I used to worry that a boxset would get damaged in the post but now I can get a significant ammount off the high street price I have it all posted.

In a core location thay will get some footfall but that must have been declining. They havent adapted to the internet well and I can seek any cd from other sellers at a better price. I prefer smaller volume sellers..I search for a cd and find a seller that has it new or used long before I need to consider chain store type operations for music.

I dont owe them loyalty in saving the high street. His masters voice means damn all to me and its just a chainstore that leaves me cold.

I cant imagine why anyone would keep it running when faced with internet competition and decling music sales.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Just been looking through the latest Long Live Vinyl, which has an article on the various Glasgow stores.
    Cool

Which ones are mentioned?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    While a new buyer is sought, HMV owner Hilco, which rescued the chain from administration in 2013, says the existing 2200 stores around the UK will continue to trade.
    Maybe, but the ones I've been in recently seem to be running down. Inverness which I visited recently didn't have any interesting (to me) sale items, though it was advertising a clearance sale. There were only two possible box sets of interest, but I think both are available cheaper even now from online sellers.
    Dave

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Its gotta be all over bar the shouting. I havent shopped there in more years than I care to remember. I used to go in when there was a dvd sale on and I would pick up some of the offers or a boxset or two...so laterly it wasnt even for music. The sale signs drew me in for a gander but apart from a few loss leaders it wasnt anywhere near good prices. I had more money then sense on those shopping trips

I used to worry that a boxset would get damaged in the post but now I can get a significant ammount off the high street price I have it all posted.

In a core location thay will get some footfall but that must have been declining. They havent adapted to the internet well and I can seek any cd from other sellers at a better price. I prefer smaller volume sellers..I search for a cd and find a seller that has it new or used long before I need to consider chain store type operations for music.

I dont owe them loyalty in saving the high street. His masters voice means damn all to me and its just a chainstore that leaves me cold.

I cant imagine why anyone would keep it running when faced with internet competition and decling music sales.
    What about the staff?

I'm Adrian.

Been visiting a friend in Dorking this weekend mainly to pick up some speakers I may being buying from him to try at my home. We popped into Guildlford yesterday to meet have have lunch with another life long friend. After we could not resist going to HMV for a browse, lots of 50% off in the sale and some quite good record bargains, I picked up Steely Dan - Aja for £12.99 on vinyl. What was noticeable was there were only on average about 20-30 shoppers in what is quite a big store, I would say about half were hovering around the Vinyl section, very few looking at CD's and the rest were at the DVD/Blu rays. There were 4 staff that I could see, one restocking and 3 stood bored behind the tills waiting for the Saturday afternoon rush, it certainly did not look like coming. Personally I can't see how any of their high street shops can survive like this, I sometimes pop into the Exeter HMV near where I work and for the past 18 months it is generally empty with a handful of customers whenever I have gone in. Sadly I think the end of an era I think.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    What about the staff?
    Hi

What about them? I find that a strange point as what do I owe the staff there? They will have put others out of business and do the staff care when I have bills to pay. What are they ..some sort of godly saviours of the retail music industry?...The last people who can guide or advise me?

Im not gloating. I comment because its no surprise to me that certain stores are in trouble. Of course I have sympathy for anyone handed a P45 but I dont have to shop where I dont want to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast