+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempting to Clean Vinyl Records....

I'm Adrian.

Default Attempting to Clean Vinyl Records....

So having too much time on my hands at present and because I have recently been very frustrated when trying to clean Led Zeppelin II and III records and a couple of others, I had recently been given(I do already have good copies of these), I have been examining and experimenting with record cleaning to try and establish what was going wrong.

Warning - Further reading may bore you to tears or you could be at risk of becoming terminally anal with respect to your record collection. (click the links below for more info)

Firstly, I am aware that many will be using record wash/vacuum machines, but not all of us can afford one, or are able to placate the other half in our lives sufficiently to be able to purchase one. So for a lot of use some manual method is needed if we are to clean our precious vinyl.

Secondly, I have tried many methods and cleaning mixtures, some my own mixes, all with varying results, often with stubborn second hand records I have found it necessary to perform multiple cleans using different products. All a bit trial and error and sometimes not very staisfactory.

Thirdly - I have used a Knosti Disco Antistat cleaner in the past, but found results to be haphazard. However what I did establish was that leaving records to drip dry was not a great idea due to residue being left on the record. I found this out after introducing a rinse cycle into the cleaning process using Distilled Water, and noted an improvement. I then went onto buy an old turntable and a wet/dry vacuum cleaner and modified the vacuum wand so I could vacuum records after each clean in the process. This dramatically improved results, but and there always has to be a but, every now and then I would come across some stubborn records that even though they looked good I could not get rid of back ground noise. I hear you saying, well they are just knackered old records damaged by a poor stylus, my view is that out of 900 records I have found only 2 or 2 have actually been damaged due to this.

The reason I am perserveering with these two Led Zeppelin albums is that they come from the same record collection, I know the owner and she was reasonably careful with her records, in fact out of 64 only 4 have been difficult to clean. What I have ascertained is that they were appreciably dirtier from the outset of cleaning, but I suspect even though played on the same equipment as the others were probably played more and therefore were handled more often and also subject to more smoke, dust etc.

So both the aforementioned records looked on the surface(excuse the pun) to be in relatively good condition, no deep scratches, the odd minor surface mark and possibly on III signs of a globuls (probably snot) near the end of track 1 side 1. So I cleaned both using my normal method of putting record on old turntable apply my cleaning solution rotate disc and use cut down flat emulsion wall pad (very fine hairs to get in grooves). Cleaning fluid is 75% distilled water, 25% Isopropyl Alcohol and 2.5ml of ILFORD ILFOTOLhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINYL-REC...S-LT:rk:3:pf:0 (in 500ml total mix). Then using my adapted wet/dry vacuum I spin the disk and suck off the liquid. Then I apply distilled H2O to rinse and then vacuum again. However after cleaning there was quite bad background hiss and crackles on both records, so I repeated the cleaning and re-listened and there was minimal improvement what looked like fine dust/dirt marks in the grooves, this only showed up under the LED light I have mounted on my turntable shelf. So after a bit of thought I decided to take the plunge and use some other cleaning product, the reason for this was I new that Sandi who gave me the records used to smoke and I suspected that they were badly contaminated with nicotine.

So at risk of polluting the records with other chemicals I mixed a warm strong solution of Fairy liquid with distilled water (yes I know many say do not use it, but it is the one product that I know will get to the dirt, grease and grim). After an intense clean and vacuum I immediately rinsed with copious amounts of distilled water vacuuming all the time, I did this process twice, I completed the process by using my usual cleaning solution and then examined the record on my turntable under the LED light and yes it now looked pretty clean. So onto the acid test, I put the record on and the snap, crackle, pop had now improved by at least 50%, in fact the lead in was near silent. However one of the records I noticed still had tell tale marks on the edge of the record, why where had it come from, what had touched the record, and then I suddenly realised, I had used a micro fibre cloth to pick it up to avoid my fingers touching the surface. I examined the cloth carefully under the light and there were slight dirt marks, so I had a dirty cloth that looked clean on casual inspection but was actually probably greasy from my handling and had minute dust particles clinging to it.

So what was going on, well I think several things. Firstly my usual solution was unable to break down the old nicotine sheen on the record or any other crap, secondly I was contaminating the record with dirt from brushes and clothes. So what is the answer?

It is here if you can be bothered to read it.https://www.analogplanet.com/content...article-ever-0 I came across this when trying to determine what was happening, it confirms my thoughts and also gives a clear process for cleaning a record. It's pretty obvious really, if you touch your records with anything slightly dirty or greasy you are going to contaminate it, and it will then be noisy, if you put any chemical on it some residue will be left, the trick is to use several reducing any residue each time. Also you need to accept that different contamination of a record will require possibly using a different chemical to break that down and get it off.

What I also ascertained after careful inspection was that my carbon fibre brushhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Ject-...eme:rk:31:pf:0 used for sweeping dust off records was contaminated with grease and muck, and guess what I had been using it on just cleaned records. Why was it dirty, because like a numpty I had been using it to clean dust off of dirty just purchased records before liquid cleaning 😱, how stupid can you be. I new it was dirty as I soaked the bristles in neat Isopropyl Alcohol and then left to air dry, the fluid became dirty and after I was able carefully separate the bristles using another small brush, before they were sticking together in places along the brush. So if you have one of these, CLEAN it or stop using it.

So whats next:-

1. I have ordered a new carbon fibre brush to be used only on freshly cleaned records, the old one will be used to remove loose dust from records before they are cleaned and I will regularly clean the brush to stop grime/grease build up.

2. I will be ordering some Nitty Gritty https://www.analogueseduction.net/re...e-cleaner.html as recommended to assess

3. I will be throwing out my current Emulsion Paint Pads https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-PART-HA...nHOr:rk:5:pf:0 and replacing with new, the pads will be used during the second phase of the cleaning process. I could buy the Orbitrac https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273574310332 but at the moment I think this may be an unnecessary expense, but if I find I am not satisfied with the results using the Emulsion Pads instead then I may buy one.

4. I will be buying some Lint Free Cotton Padshttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/900pcs-Co...8wF:rk:14:pf:0 for the initial cleaning process

5. I want to asses the Nitty Gritty fluid and other fluids effectiveness and I will use the cleaning process described. I have 4 records with very similar levels of surface noise and I will use these to test the process and using different fluids in phase one of cleaning. As a control I will use Distilled H2O only in phase one and two. For the other 3 records I will use in phase 1 my usual Cleaning fluid mix as above for one record, L’Art Du Son cleaning mix on another, and Distilled Water on another all 3 will be be washed in phase 2 with my usual cleaning fluid mix (75% distilled water, 25% Isopropyl Alcohol and 2.5ml of ILFORD ILFOTOL (in 500ml total mix)).

6. I will be wearing Nitrile Gloves throughout the cleaning process to minimise possible contamination from me, and all cleaning emulsion pads used will be washed thoroughly before and after use with Isopropyl Alchohol.

I will report back on results and hopefully a more successful record clean.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm James.

I have a fair bit of experience cleaning records Adrian and use a VPI 16.5 RCm vacuum clean machine. I have tried every combination of liquid going including IPA and distilled water etc, i have found the Art d sol cleaning fluid to be good and slightly better than the IPA / Kodac / distilled water solution.

However no matter what chemical solution you use when you remove the liquid either via suction and vacuum or air drying or whatever you are generally always left with some static. I have adjusted my process to including more cleans over a long period and different distilled water wash intervals but never been able to remove all static. Once it is locked in it causes those clicks and pops even though you may have removed all the dirt.

So in order to remove the final bit of static i have used a carbon fibre brush - FAIL! Do not use this actually adds static. I use Nagaoko record sleeves - these help over a long period of time.

The best device I have now found only recently that can remove the last bit of static is a Antistat record gun. This has been excellent and I can now get records 95% click and pop free.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have a fair bit of experience cleaning records Adrian and use a VPI 16.5 RCm vacuum clean machine. I have tried every combination of liquid going including IPA and distilled water etc, i have found the Art d sol cleaning fluid to be good and slightly better than the IPA / Kodac / distilled water solution.

However no matter what chemical solution you use when you remove the liquid either via suction and vacuum or air drying or whatever you are generally always left with some static. I have adjusted my process to including more cleans over a long period and different distilled water wash intervals but never been able to remove all static. Once it is locked in it causes those clicks and pops even though you may have removed all the dirt.

So in order to remove the final bit of static i have used a carbon fibre brush - FAIL! Do not use this actually adds static. I use Nagaoko record sleeves - these help over a long period of time.

The best device I have now found only recently that can remove the last bit of static is a Antistat record gun. This has been excellent and I can now get records 95% click and pop free.
    Thanks for your advice James, I would concur with your view, it is not an easy process. I am hoping that the Nitty Gritty might give more consistent results with more records of varying degrees of dirtiness, I can hope at least. All the reviews of it are pretty positive, so maybe it has the right ingredients to do a good job, we shall see. The noise I am referring to on these two records is definitely not static IMO, as I have other records that have been cleaned in exactly the same way and are virtually silent.

I have also found that more cleans and taking longer does improve matters, as does using a variety or cleaning fluids in cases and being careful to rinse after every application of a cleaning product with distilled water. I have not had what I would call a static issue after cleaning, which is why I had thus far held off from purchasing a Zerostat. I agree they are very effective a good friend of mine has one and has found it pretty good. I minimise static by using a https://www.analogueseduction.net/re...aning-arm.html which is earthed and it definitely removes and stops static build up, maybe worth a try.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Deleted.

I’ve got all the gear to do ultrasonic bath cleaning of my records, including the cleaning solution. Despite having it for months now I still can’t be bothered to actually do it...
    Account Deleted

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I’ve got all the gear to do ultrasonic bath cleaning of my records, including the cleaning solution. Despite having it for months now I still can’t be bothered to actually do it...
    Myself and a friend had been considering buying the gear between us and sharing it, but not sure how effective it is or if it could possible damage records if frequency/power is too high.

I'm Russell.

I use a Pro-Ject VC-S vacuum machine, with amazing results. I cheat and use the MoFi Super Record Wash, and it does a good job. I too have found that excessively soiled Records May require several cleanings before they reach nirvana. And records with visible crud in the grooves, I use an Enzyme formula, I spread it on the record, basically just keeping the record covered, no hard scrubbing, and let it stay wet for several minutes. Once it has had time to soak for 5 or 10 minutes then I use the scrub brush, vacuum. And then a rinse wash with the standard fluid. And I also buy the replacement covers for the record brushes, and replace them when it seems appropriate, but not too often really. Vinyl sleeves are a must! I’ve stuck perfectly cleaned records into paper sleeves and was shocked at the instant contamination. If you thoroughly wash your hands before handling records it should be enough to keep from soiling them. I do my best to never touch the surfaces, only the edges, an old habit I guess.

Russell

I'm brian.

Whats paper sleeves v vinyl sleeves thingy ?. Sorry for ignorance.

I'm Grant.

inner sleeves i think..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    inner sleeves i think..
    Yeah, inner sleeves Russeli talking about but I thought all inners were papery type ?. Hope to buy R.C.M myself so interested in subject.

I'm Grant.

these are the mofi ones.. expensive but top quality... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Fide...+inner+sleeves

plenty others that are cheaper tho. you also get paper ones that have vinyl/poly linings. paper always leaves a bit of detritus and also can leave paper scratches on vinyl record...then there is the static build up with paper
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast