+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand new records

I'm Gary.

Default Brand new records

For those who didn't see my previous threads I've recently bought a used Project Debut TT and was initially quite unimpressed
    I got a couple of brand new albums for Christmas (Dark Side of the Moon and U2 Greatest Hits, both remastered 180gsm) and have been blown away at how much better they sound to my old collection, I know it's a cliché but the difference is night and day.
    I didn't realise just how badly my old records have been looked after (oops)
    I know nothing can be done about scratches but are the cheaper cleaning machined (knosti) going to get my old vinyl close to a brand new record or am I expecting too much?
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    For those who didn't see my previous threads I've recently bought a used Project Debut TT and was initially quite unimpressed
    I got a couple of brand new albums for Christmas (Dark Side of the Moon and U2 Greatest Hits, both remastered 180gsm) and have been blown away at how much better they sound to my old collection, I know it's a cliché but the difference is night and day.
    I know nothing can be done about scratches but are the cheaper cleaning machined (knosti) going to get my old vinyl close to a brand new record or am I expecting too much?
    wont do much with ticks or jumps but will reduce noise etc if records are not ruined by a duff arm/stylus. try getting someone close by to clean a couple and see what the results are.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

I did say in one of your earlier posts that you would need a record cleaner

Yes the Knosti will have a very beneficial effect on your old records, I find that some of my old (very old) records that were totally abandoned in the loft sound as good as new vinyl, after cleaning.

In fact some new pressings are crap by comparison.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Adrian.

Have look at this thread that I started on cleaning records and what I am trying to establish, it might help you initially. I started with a Knosti and it does a reasonable job, but you need to definitely think about making a vacuum set up to suck the liquid off with the crap, but doing something is better than nothing, especially if you carefully rinse with distilled water and then allow to dry.

Good luck.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

It may be that your old records are worn; this can reduce dynamics and general playback quality. It can be that your arm/cart. like the extra height of the 180 g (i.e. they're not ideally set for thinner records with regard to VTA). I've yet to buy a remastered 180g new record which satisfies, so I've stopped buying them.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I did say in one of your earlier posts that you would need a record cleaner

Yes the Knosti will have a very beneficial effect on your old records, I find that some of my old (very old) records that were totally abandoned in the loft sound as good as new vinyl, after cleaning.

In fact some new pressings are crap by comparison.

Gary
    I had remembered your advice, I just wondered how much improvement I could expect.

I bought a very clean looking 2nd hand album (Fleetwood Mac, Rumours) and was quite disappointed by that althought it was suggested that it wasn't a particularly good recording to start with.
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Have look at this thread that I started on cleaning records and what I am trying to establish, it might help you initially. I started with a Knosti and it does a reasonable job, but you need to definitely think about making a vacuum set up to suck the liquid off with the crap, but doing something is better than nothing, especially if you carefully rinse with distilled water and then allow to dry.

Good luck.
    I did read it, you have far more patience and dedication than me, and if I'm honest I'm still undecided how many of my old records I'll actually ever listen to again, the 12"Jellybean Dance Remix of Like a Virgin is low on the list as is An Officer an a Gentleman soundtrack album lol
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post

Good luck.

[QUOTE=Gaz;1044302
    I did read it, you have far more patience and dedication than me, and if I'm honest I'm still undecided how many of my old records I'll actually ever listen to again, the 12"Jellybean Dance Remix of Like a Virgin is low on the list as is An Officer an a Gentleman soundtrack album lol
    [/QUOTE]

Ah but you might find yourself coming across the odd second hand record now and be tempted as it is a bargain or one that you always wanted. Then when you get home you find it needs a good clean, that's when you might find the dark abyss of record cleaning swallows you up.

Something else to bear in mind Gary is that styli are not all the same and have different shapes, some are more prone to picking up noise from the grooves than others. I will will take the risk of making a broad statement here in that generally the better the stylus the more likely it is to be affected, IMO the is because it is likely to be shaped so that it gets deeper into the grooves. The other thing that has a big impact in quieting replay is a heavy tracking cartridge, most nowadays I believe somewhere around 1.5 to 5 grams, but cartridges tracking around 20grams are not unknown but require a heavier arm. The result of a cartridge tracking heavier is is looses the pops and crackles, I am not certain why but suspect the stylus has more resistance to the crap it comes across in the groove and so is less affected by it, however I think that the sound reproduced is affected as well, maybe loosing some top end clarity.

So depending what your cartridge is and how your records have been cared for you might find a light clean is all that is needed to get them acceptable, I have certainly found that with some records I have purchased, and others I thought looked great have turned out to be terrible, so it is not always obvious from just looking at the record in my experience.

Give it a go and judge for yourself. Be interesting to know how you get on.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm steve.

If old records are noisy or appear to have lost their edge they have probably in the past been used with a heavy tracking cartridge with a spherical stylus of a comparatively large radius which will have worn the upper portion of the record groove walls. Using a modern cartridge with a finer profile elliptical stylus which will go deeper into the groove, which provided its clear of dirt and debris (knosti cleaned ) will probably have a lot of detail and decent sound quality still there to be enjoyed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    If old records are noisy or appear to have lost their edge they have probably in the past been used with a heavy tracking cartridge with a spherical stylus of a comparatively large radius which will have worn the upper portion of the record groove walls. Using a modern cartridge with a finer profile elliptical stylus which will go deeper into the groove, which provided its clear of dirt and debris (knosti cleaned ) will probably have a lot of detail and decent sound quality still there to be enjoyed.
    Agreed. I dread to think of the damage caused by a cartridge tracking at 20g. It has been shown that the vinyl can be stressed beyond its elastic limit by cartridges tracking at more than 1g. But that is theoretical, and since there are enough technical compromises one has to accept with vinyl replay, one more won't make much difference.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast