+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Ello John dya drive a motor"

I'm Rob.

Default "Ello John dya drive a motor"

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...bZrAJuwGHgd3Fg

So far as cyclists are concerned (being a regular cyclist myself) European regulations say to give 1.5m of space when overtaking a cyclist and I thought that the UK were thinking of bringing it in here. I suppose we await the Brexit fiasco. Where I live it would be farcical to enforce a 1.5m passing width as the roads are just not wide enough which I suspect is the case all over the country inc London (where there are no cycle lanes).

All I ask as a cyclist is that care is taken when ever you encounter a cyclist and pass leaving a sensible and safe amount of space. I know there are the Tour De France impersonators who ride like idiots especially when in a pack. I have driven behind them many times around here as it is a popular area for them and it beggars belief the idiotic things they do....and anyone cycling two abreast or more is asking for trouble. I know what the Highway Code says about cycling two abreast, but in practice this just leads to drivers doing stupid and dangerous overtaking manoeuvres.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Steve.

Oh dear, my eyesight is going from bad to worse - I thought the thread title said "Elton John". Time for some new specs. Or maybe sell the car and get a bicycle.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Oh dear, my eyesight is going from bad to worse - I thought the thread title said "Elton John". Time for some new specs. Or maybe sell the car and get a bicycle.
    I was also expecting to read something about Elton John so it's not just you. Fortunately for the rest of the world I don't drive. Or cycle.

To me this seems like making up more rules and regulations just for the sake of it.

Curfews - Times when they are allowed to be on the road
    Passengers - Limits for how many passengers a new driver can have
    Speed - Separate, lower speed limits to other drivers
    Engine sizes - Limits on how powerful their cars can be
    Mandatory P plates - These are currently optional, but could be made mandatory for up to two years
    Alcohol - Lower limits than the general driving population.

Who is actually going to police all of this stuff? It's very rare you see a copper round here, either in a car or on foot. And if you do they are already on their way to something far more urgent. Like they've got time to stop and count how many passengers you have in the car and check to see how long you've been driving. And exactly why does it matter how many passengers there are? What difference does that make to anything?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

Yes, and how are they going to police the cyclist passing width? I suppose I will have buy a headcam, which I have avoided doing so far, not to dob anyone in, but in case I am knocked off.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

The engine size limit is probably a good thing, but more important would be a power limit.

No domestic vehicle actually needs more than 100 bhp, in fact if being realistic, 75 bhp would be adequate. The 'boy racers' would of course be up-in-arms at such a suggestion. It will come anyway, sooner or later. In any case, the important thing is useful torque and flexibilty and electric vehicles will deliver this.

Eventually, vehicles will be area speed limited. Probably controlled by something like GPS or localised ground stations of some sort. A blanket max limit of say 60 mph will hurt nobody, but would make travelling boring (or is that 'more boring'?)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Yes, and how are they going to police the cyclist passing width? I suppose I will have buy a headcam, which I have avoided doing so far, not to dob anyone in, but in case I am knocked off.
    The headcam view isn't going to show how close a car is to you unless you happen to glance to your right just before it knocks you off. You need cameras all round really.

I get the impression that these are laws invented by lawyers for lawyers. Ambulance chasers. I mean it is already against the law to knock a cyclist off, the difficulty is in proving that the motorist was driving without due care and attention and that the cyclist didn't just swerve into his path.

Was on the A50 late on Xmas eve, pretty heavy fog. There was a motorbike doing 70 mph, with a pillion passenger and L plates. Changed lanes right in front of us without looking. Just a question of split seconds between him getting away with it and them both being dead or seriously injured. You can't legislate for stupidity.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alan.

Cyclists should be made to learn to ride a bike properly, like the drivers of cars and motorbikes have to. They also should have to take a test to get a license to ride a bike on todays roads, as most of them haven't a clue about the highway code, or don't care about it. Also, they should be made to buy insurance, to leaglly have their bicycle on the road. It should have to have an MOT, afterall it's a vehicle on the road with other traffic. Another point to consider is, what happened to rear view mirrors? If cyclists didn't ride two abreast and the tour de france squad rode properly, drivers of cars wouldnt have to do stupid and dangerous overtaking manoeuvres... The tour de france squad can get their push bikes in excess of 60 mph and I've frequently seen cyclists do more than 30mph.
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    Cyclists should be made to learn to ride a bike properly.
    Doesn't work for motorists so why would it work for cyclists? Next time you are in the car count how many incidents of bad driving you can spot in any ten-minute period (exceeding the speed limit counts). One a minute is pretty easy to achieve. But they've all had hours of instruction and passed the test.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

think they are making way too many rules... the old rules are still valid and if used properly will stop bad driving. its the lawyers you need to get under control can you imagine a world without lawyers?

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Doesn't work for motorists so why would it work for cyclists? Next time you are in the car count how many incidents of bad driving you can spot in any ten-minute period (exceeding the speed limit counts). One a minute is pretty easy to achieve. But they've all had hours of instruction and passed the test.
    probably not. but it would be legal by law. a license, an mot, insurance and the power would be there, as it is for everyone else on the highway, to have the privilege to be on the road, taken away from you...
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast