+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Ello John dya drive a motor"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Rob.

Default "Ello John dya drive a motor"

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...bZrAJuwGHgd3Fg

So far as cyclists are concerned (being a regular cyclist myself) European regulations say to give 1.5m of space when overtaking a cyclist and I thought that the UK were thinking of bringing it in here. I suppose we await the Brexit fiasco. Where I live it would be farcical to enforce a 1.5m passing width as the roads are just not wide enough which I suspect is the case all over the country inc London (where there are no cycle lanes).

All I ask as a cyclist is that care is taken when ever you encounter a cyclist and pass leaving a sensible and safe amount of space. I know there are the Tour De France impersonators who ride like idiots especially when in a pack. I have driven behind them many times around here as it is a popular area for them and it beggars belief the idiotic things they do....and anyone cycling two abreast or more is asking for trouble. I know what the Highway Code says about cycling two abreast, but in practice this just leads to drivers doing stupid and dangerous overtaking manoeuvres.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Steve.

Oh dear, my eyesight is going from bad to worse - I thought the thread title said "Elton John". Time for some new specs. Or maybe sell the car and get a bicycle.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Oh dear, my eyesight is going from bad to worse - I thought the thread title said "Elton John". Time for some new specs. Or maybe sell the car and get a bicycle.
    I was also expecting to read something about Elton John so it's not just you. Fortunately for the rest of the world I don't drive. Or cycle.

To me this seems like making up more rules and regulations just for the sake of it.

Curfews - Times when they are allowed to be on the road
    Passengers - Limits for how many passengers a new driver can have
    Speed - Separate, lower speed limits to other drivers
    Engine sizes - Limits on how powerful their cars can be
    Mandatory P plates - These are currently optional, but could be made mandatory for up to two years
    Alcohol - Lower limits than the general driving population.

Who is actually going to police all of this stuff? It's very rare you see a copper round here, either in a car or on foot. And if you do they are already on their way to something far more urgent. Like they've got time to stop and count how many passengers you have in the car and check to see how long you've been driving. And exactly why does it matter how many passengers there are? What difference does that make to anything?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

Yes, and how are they going to police the cyclist passing width? I suppose I will have buy a headcam, which I have avoided doing so far, not to dob anyone in, but in case I am knocked off.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

The engine size limit is probably a good thing, but more important would be a power limit.

No domestic vehicle actually needs more than 100 bhp, in fact if being realistic, 75 bhp would be adequate. The 'boy racers' would of course be up-in-arms at such a suggestion. It will come anyway, sooner or later. In any case, the important thing is useful torque and flexibilty and electric vehicles will deliver this.

Eventually, vehicles will be area speed limited. Probably controlled by something like GPS or localised ground stations of some sort. A blanket max limit of say 60 mph will hurt nobody, but would make travelling boring (or is that 'more boring'?)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The engine size limit is probably a good thing, but more important would be a power limit.

No domestic vehicle actually needs more than 100 bhp, in fact if being realistic, 75 bhp would be adequate. The 'boy racers' would of course be up-in-arms at such a suggestion. It will come anyway, sooner or later. In any case, the important thing is useful torque and flexibilty and electric vehicles will deliver this.l

Eventually, vehicles will be area speed limited. Probably controlled by something like GPS or localised ground stations of some sort. A blanket max limit of say 60 mph will hurt nobody, but would make travelling boring (or is that 'more boring'?)
    I'm up in arms, most of the above is rubbish.

Why a power limit? What would it achieve. In a lot of occasions power will avoid an accident. Pulling out of junctions, overtaking etc, risk is proportional to exposure.

We need drivers to learn to drive not the stupid, inadequate current Driving Test.

Unfortunately all this is arbitrary, our society is broken. There is no courtesy no manners and a f*ck you attitude prevalent.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post

Gary
    Quite right. I should have suggested a blanket speed limit of 50 mph. Not 60 mph.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post

Why a power limit? What would it achieve. In a lot of occasions power will avoid an accident. Pulling out of junctions, overtaking etc, risk is proportional to exposure.

We need drivers to learn to drive not the stupid, inadequate current Driving Test.

Unfortunately all this is arbitrary, our society is broken. There is no courtesy no manners and a f*ck you attitude prevalent.

Gary
    I don't know, my car is about 220bhp, I wouldn't mind losing 120bhp on the proviso I could keep the 275ft/lbs from 1800-45000rpm lol
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    I don't know, my car is about 220bhp, I wouldn't mind losing 120bhp on the proviso I could keep the 275ft/lbs from 1800-45000rpm lol
    But we really need to torque (sic) about bhp/ton ( or the equivalent in metric) so I have a low in one car of around 250 and 400 in another, DC motors give torque from virtually zero rpm, but I don't know of any DC motor that will rev at 45000 shaft rpm?

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

No domestic vehicle actually needs more than 100 bhp, in fact if being realistic, 75 bhp would be adequate. The 'boy racers' would of course be up-in-arms at such a suggestion. It will come anyway, sooner or later. In any case, the important thing is useful torque and flexibilty and electric vehicles will deliver this.

Yeah let's just stop everyone from doing anything. Why shouldn't I have a 500BHP car if I want one? What happened to the freedom of the individual?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast