+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Your Wife/Partner Like Bass?

I'm James.

Probably fair to say all speakers are a compromise, the point being that we enjoy the music they make, however wrong others may feel it is.

Thankfully we have accommodating ears and brains that smooth out many of the obvious potholes, and love for various musics that impel us to the diverse compromises that make it seem 'right' to us.

Boomy bass is a room issue overwhelmingly, so saying plodding bass is a ported speaker speciality. Yet with classical music it is, to me, a better compromise at socially acceptable volumes than the allegedly more accurate alternative.

So who can tell me which is more 'accurate' to the original musical event given the choice between a dipole at 87dB in room, a ported box speaker at 95db, or a massive sealed box at 110dB, all with the same music playing? *

*excluding those who think louder is by definition better

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Wise not to generalise too much regarding ports. I'd probably agree that at the budget, small speaker level I'd take a sealed box most of the time. But beyond that all bets are off. These JBLs are easily the best passive speaker I've ever heard and the ports are big enough for a badger to get into them:

They are excellent. The 4367 is better than their much more expensive models. Confusing.

I might get a pair. No really. I might. If I move house next year and the room demands them.

EDIT: let's face it though. They look shit.
    Last edited by User211; 28-12-2018 at 08:29.

I'm Justin.

Anyway, no, she hated my Martin Logan Descent, now long gone.

The issue appears to be long throw woofers. My main speakers extend to 21 Hz at +/- 0DB in room. That doesn't bother her even with tracks with copious amounts of bass. Why? Very high surface area woofer with low excursion.

Punch deep holes in the air with a long throw sub and she soon complains.

Long throw woofers punch air that is truly room/car 'wall' penetrating.

Bad news for others.

Default Yes

She frequently says 'it is really great that instead of just noise I can now follow the tune in the bass' but she is a bit weird as she loves listening to my systems(s) !!!
    Last edited by NickB; 28-12-2018 at 09:57.
    Nick

UK - Technics SP10, EPA 500, AT33SA - Roonserver on i5 NUC running Windows 10 Pro - Devialet 1000 PRO CI - Magico S5 - Finite Elemente Wall Shelf

Spain - Roonserver on i7 NUC running Windows 10 Pro - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Ergo IX

I'm Martin.

This article is pretty good for explaining what is going on, worth reading the whole thing. https://www.stereophile.com/content/...6WfYbZ6cVqU.99

Traditionally, reflex systems have been described as "boomy," yet are often found to provide less power in the low bass than the specifications suggest. Those specifications were based on test-chamber measurements and a rated -3dB rolloff in the bass. However, the important factor turns out to be what happens below rolloff.

The aural sensitivity to changes at low frequencies is great, and we have room gain adding to the available response, helping to counteract the rolloff. A well-damped sealed-box system can have a desirably slow rolloff rate significantly complemented by room gain, thus extending the overall useful response. Below box resonance, the output from a bass-reflex system usually falls rapidly, too quickly for the room boundaries to help out; no low bass is heard.

In addition, the reflex system is likely to have a sharper, squarer response "cover" at rolloff; mild room gain at this frequency can easily turn the corner into an audible lump---the notorious "boom."
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Mines likes her's deep and firm...

(Sorry! But it was only a matter of time before someone went there...)
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotist View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one then, my wife likes Tinny Sounds - period
    My Mrs definitely couldn't be having with your bk200sub.

I'm Shaun.

Yeah my other half Sue loves the addition of the new subwoofer. She loves the electronic music as well but prefers stuff like the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Not my kind of thing

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Very true. Especially if you are listening to a recording where the bass guitar was recorded direct into the desk. I.e most of them.
    I'm talking a local pub playing jazz with an unamplified brass and drum kit! Apologies for not explaining it properly. Back in the summer, our 'carnival procession' had a samba band, a Scots-pipe 'band' and a brass band with big bass drum

Now, not the same as a recorded album I grant you, but to FEEL the pressure of the bass and percussion brought it all back when I had speakers able to so this in-room properly. The huge (by domestic standards) PMC fenestria's do it quite well too - and these things are bloody passive as well - eek!

Most domestic speakers really don't 'do' bass properly and I remain convinced really that you need large drivers to even begin to do this, no matter how these drivers are loaded. sadly, 12" or larger bass units aren't domestically acceptable in 99% of homes and having a separate listening room or rooms is so damned unsociable and 'solitary' in my opinion. Marco once claimed his situation worked as his better half would join him for music sessions, but it doesn't work that way in every case and certainly not mine
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I'm talking a local pub playing jazz with an unamplified brass and drum kit! Apologies for not explaining it properly. Back in the summer, our 'carnival procession' had a samba band, a Scots-pipe 'band' and a brass band with big bass drum

Now, not the same as a recorded album I grant you, but to FEEL the pressure of the bass and percussion brought it all back when I had speakers able to so this in-room properly. The huge (by domestic standards) PMC fenestria's do it quite well too - and these things are bloody passive as well - eek!

Most domestic speakers really don't 'do' bass properly and I remain convinced really that you need large drivers to even begin to do this, no matter how these drivers are loaded. sadly, 12" or larger bass units aren't domestically acceptable in 99% of homes and having a separate listening room or rooms is so damned unsociable and 'solitary' in my opinion. Marco once claimed his situation worked as his better half would join him for music sessions, but it doesn't work that way in every case and certainly not mine
    Agree with you about the speakers - to get the depth and the slam you need to move a lot of air very quickly. But with the live band situation you have to take into account that the act of recording it will diminish some of the bass impact you hear and feel live. A recording is unavoidably a degredation of the live event. And high fidelity (in the strictest sense of the term) is trying to be true to the recording of the live event, not the live event itself.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast