+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Audio / HiFi goals for 2019 ?

lordmortlock Guest

Having promised I’d settle with a simple integrated and finding two very good ones I’ve thrown myself a right curve ball by buying a Gordon Welford preamp. It’s clearly world class, so I plan to have some fun playing with power amps to see what matches best.

Can’t see myself changing source much, as the SL10 is a great deck whilst we have a young family and the Lampi dac is a killer.

I should probably buy posher speakers, but I’m still in love with the XL Frugalhorns. They just sound so right here.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    sell off most of my spare speakers... they wont cost who comes too much but i could do with the room so spare room becomes a room again. no plans in concrete yet but might think of an endgame amp, or a pre for what i have. im going to be a bit better off next year so i might find funds
    Go for it Grant!
    Your only Young once!
    Last edited by Gazjam; 07-01-2019 at 18:50.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

lordmortlock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I'm not feeling the need for major changes atm, very happy and a bit wary of change just for the sake of it. -- yes, this really is me.

Very conscious that I nearly made a major boo-boo when I 'upgraded' the valves in my Herron pre. ... I nearly sold it before realising that the pre's magic was dependent on the stock EH valves. I might try some gold pin EH in 2019.

A couple of bits are on the way from China - a linear PSU for my W4S reclocker, and a grounding box as I have been intrigued by the very positive comments on these devices by a couple of folks.

Might also invest in the top of the range W&M speaker cables as I really like the cheaper ones already in my system.

Perhaps 2019 will be a year of consolidation, making the best of a system that already hits the spot.
    Who are you? And what have you done with Jerry?

I'm Grant.

I'm not feeling the need for major changes atm, very happy and a bit wary of change just for the sake of it. -- yes, this really is me.

Very conscious that I nearly made a major boo-boo when I 'upgraded' the valves in my Herron pre. ... I nearly sold it before realising that the pre's magic was dependent on the stock EH valves. I might try some gold pin EH in 2019.

A couple of bits are on the way from China - a linear PSU for my W4S reclocker, and a grounding box as I have been intrigued by the very positive comments on these devices by a couple of folks.

Might also invest in the top of the range W&M speaker cables as I really like the cheaper ones already in my system.

Perhaps 2019 will be a year of consolidation, making the best of a system that already hits the spot.
    Got a set of w & m cables coming too. Need longer ones very soon. I was going to make some but not really up to that at moment so ordered a set of those. The looked decent for money. Any good Jerry?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Go for it Grant!
    Your only Young once!
    Going for it mate
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Got a set of w & m cables coming too. Need longer ones very soon. I was going to make some but not really up to that at moment so ordered a set of those. The looked decent for money. Any good Jerry?
    The LS-02 speaker cables are excellent - best I've heard in my system.
    I've a pair of the top o' the range LS-06 on the way

Not heard their interconnects (yet). They don't seem to come along much in the UK - I had to order the LS-06 new from a French dealer.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    Who are you? And what have you done with Jerry?

I'm Grant.

The LS-02 speaker cables are excellent - best I've heard in my system.
    I've a pair of the top o' the range LS-06 on the way

Not heard their interconnects (yet). They don't seem to come along much in the UK - I had to order the LS-06 new from a French dealer.
    Think mine are ls1. 19mm outer. I needed longer. Think these are 2.5m length
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

Well, with my new speakers I am now unhappy with my FM sound which screeches the top end even more than did the original ESS Heils, The ADAM Heils go up to 50k.

So I am questioning the AVI s200 Mk ii tuner, and mad though it is considering a Magnum Dynalab one, yes even for maybe two years. Does anyone have one, and are they really that spectacular?

I'm gone.

Do you really think that you can hear up to 50khz?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast