This experiment came about as a gentle departure from the hum drum of normal suburban living over the Xmas period! I'd previously decided to experiment with ebony and had made a simple tonearm mount for my Alphason HR100S toneram on my Lenco L75.

ebony.jpg

I was really shocked with the effects and instantly noticed an improvement in the finer details of transcription within the sound stage. So, armed with this experience I produced four footers for the Isonoe feet which live on my Technics 1210. The new footers measure 65mm width and 10mm depth. I have tried Sorbothane footers under the 1210 before and completely hated the experience that my ears went through, never again I thought! I'd already consigned myself to failure but I'm pleased to report the complete opposite.

ebony.jpg

The differences are not earth shattering but well worth the effort if you can be bothered. I began to notice the difference within a couple of sides of vinyl. I noted several marked improvements with the soundstage firmed up, the deck seemed to have a little more attack and vim. Finally and perhaps the most important thing for me, the detail. My 1210 has always been forensic in its nature of replicating what's on the vinyl. Today things went up a small notch and I'm very pleased with the level of detail the deck's now able to produce. It's not a "hubble" moment but I would say that I can further into the mix. The ebony and the drill but cost less than £30. To conclude I think that this is a very cheap way of improving the data retrieval of the 1210 alongside producing a small improvement in soundstage focus.