+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the very best caps for the PSU?

I'm Andrew.

Default What are the very best caps for the PSU?

I'm in the middle of completely over hauling my Sondex 100 amp. Currently I'm looking at replacing the four large caps in the power supply.

PSU CAPS.jpg

The four large black caps appear to be an unnamed UK brand, I've not removed them yet but these are the ones I'd like to replace.

I've been looking over at HiFi Collective and have short listed several brands mainly :-

Audio Note, Axial, BHC, ClarityCap, Cornell Dubilier, Evox, F&T Electrolytic, Jensen, LCR Mundorf, Nichicon

I'm not restricting myself any of the above brands. I can't see myself wanting to sell the Sondex Amp and I'm prepared to invest heavily in the amp as I think it's my last port of call in Valve amplifiers.

So my question is quite simple what do you consider the very best cap replacement for PSU duties?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Steve.

Hi Andrew
    I use and can recommend the Nichicon Gold Tune, great caps and very reasonably priced.
    I used them in both my dcb1 builds and will be using them on my next project.

Merry Christmas....
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Andrew.

Thanks, Mundorf has also been suggested.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm David.

The best in terms of long life with decent sound are the Kemet ones available from RS and others. Nichicon gold tune are decent but not available in high voltages

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Can’t say I’ve heard a great deal of difference with PS caps, so I’d just go with something of decent quality that’s fit for purpose. I’ve used Mundorfs before and been happy with them.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Sandro.

There is only one that work for me

Money/Performance

PEH200

A little by-pass whit a good film make them perfect

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Can’t say I’ve heard a great deal of difference with PS caps, so I’d just go with something of decent quality that’s fit for purpose. I’ve used Mundorfs before and been happy with them.
    Ali, thanks. I didn't really think about the effects of the caps on the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by AD Audio View Post
    The best in terms of long life with decent sound are the Kemet ones available from RS and others. Nichicon gold tune are decent but not available in high voltages

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    The amp is stuffed full of RS components. Nichicon are also on the short list. Thanks David, longevity is always an important factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    There is only one that work for me

Money/Performance

PEH200

A little by-pass whit a good film make them perfect
    Yet another recommendation . Thanks.

When starting this thread I assumed that there may have one/two caps which would have stood out as being regularly used. I'm now learning that different people use caps for different reasons. Some for a financial view point, other to "voice" an amp etc. I'm primarily interested in using the best quality components for the best performance from the amp. I'm happy to pay good money for top quality components but I'm not willing to pay silly money for caps i.e. some of the duelund stuff. I think it may be more beneficial to research the properties of the caps and maybe see if this can help me decide.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

Bigman80 Guest

Personal choice is Audio Note Kaisei.

Made a marked improvement to the Krell. Really well made and even though they aren't cheap, they arent ridiculously priced.

I hope to redo my phonostage and the Krell with them, in time.

I'm Justin.

The ANs are Rubycons. Should be good.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Personal choice is Audio Note Kaisei.

Made a marked improvement to the Krell. Really well made and even though they aren't cheap, they arent ridiculously priced.

I hope to redo my phonostage and the Krell with them, in time.
    Yeah could be a good choice. A few people I know used to swear by WKZ’s but they’re unobtainium now so these might be a good alternative.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast