+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Phenomenon No56

I'm James.

Default Strange Phenomenon No56

Over the years I observe strange things with my system which I find difficult to reason and I am wondering if this one is psychological.

In a nutshell I have found that when I have not listened to my system for a few weeks and then switch it on it sounds superb. It almost moves up a couple of notches in sound quality.

Has anyone else observed this phenomenon with their own system? I must state I have not broken any connections or changed anything.

Or is their a rational reason that can be explained technically?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

pretty common, if you have a good sounding system. listening a lot, you get blase about it eventually. if its not so great you notice it pretty quick going back too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Think you right Grant. I suppose whilst I am away from my system everything else I listen too is either TV, Car or Radio and the odd non audiophile system.
    Listening to my system I notice wonderful spatial 3D Imaging and transparency, something I certainly do not get from any other source I listen too.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Over the years I observe strange things with my system which I find difficult to reason and I am wondering if this one is psychological.

In a nutshell I have found that when I have not listened to my system for a few weeks and then switch it on it sounds superb. It almost moves up a couple of notches in sound quality.

Has anyone else observed this phenomenon with their own system? I must state I have not broken any connections or changed anything.

Or is their a rational reason that can be explained technically?
    I know exactly what you mean, if I haven't listened to mine for a couple of weeks, as soon as I hear it I thinking bloody hell that's nice.

I think Grant has got it spot on, it sounds fresh and at its best after a small break.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I would tend to agree - but since I listen to my system for several hours each day of the week when I am at home, I haven't had the opportunity to concur. I will let you know at the beginning of February when I return from holiday; after having been away from my system for a few weeks.
    Barry

I'm James.

So if you want to upgrade your system just don't listen to it for a week or two!

I'm Alan.

So the question is what's strange phenomenon no 42?

I only ask because that is the answer to everything, no 42, yes?

Seriously I think there is truth in your statement, when such enjoyment can be had I think one craves for it after a period without.

I'm Justin.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Become less familiar and it goes away. Learnt that years ago.

It's why it takes me a few weeks to decide if anything is really any good.

It's also why I constantly roll valves.

I'm John.

When I was a teenager I played drums and I could never understand how one day the kit would sound really tight and clean and was a pleasure to play. And then the next day it did sound awful, only to sound ok the day after that.

I decided after a while that it must be psychological.

I get a similar thing with my system now but the contrast isn't as obvious.

My system has sounded crap to my ears for weeks. But that's mainly because I borrowed some Stillpoints from a mate and after I handed them back it has never been the same. A set of Stillpoints is therefore next on my list of things to look out for.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

The variables internal to the mind and body condition are numerous IMO.

I find that when the weather is bright and clear, my system sounds better than when it is dull and rainy.
    Wellness relative food deficiency, worry and others are bound to affect the brain and perception.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast