+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S/PDIF vs USB

I'm John.

Default S/PDIF vs USB

After enjoying the FLAC Files played from the Laptop, through a Bluetooth Speaker.
    I am now getting curious about hearing the Laptop and FLAC Files played through the main system.
    My DAC has a USB and COAX Input, so I believe I can play the FLAC Files straight into the DAC using a USB Cable.
    Is anybody using the USB Cable option as a interface ?.
    How is USB Cable rated as a interface, against the more common mentioned S/PDIF interface ?
    Are there any recommendations of Brands to be considered ?
    This will be my first venture into digital replay beyond CDP/DAC with a Mapleshade COAX Cable interface.
    Another experience to be ventured into, during the long dark evenings.

I'm Marcus.

I use USB, and I think a number of other forum members do as well.

The 'better or not' depends on the particular implementation of a given dac, for me, USB sounded the best.

I tried a few different USB cables out, from the cheapo type you use with a printer, a Belkin and tested a few others out at a dealer.

I settled on the Chord C-Line, as I needed 3M, and it was the best I could get for my budget at the time, and certainly a worthwhile improvement against bog standard or Belkin.

You need to try out with your particular kit, some people never hear a difference.
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

I'm Clive.

Just goes to show we all have our own opinions. I have just spent the afternoon comparing sp/dif & usb from my Aries G1 to my Qutest dac. With both connected and swapping between the two listening for about 20 min each and doing the exercise 3 times, I came to the conclusion that sp/dif sounded better to my ears.

I’m not saying that this is a definitive conclusion, just mine. It maybe we’ll worth others trying the test.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Neil.

Everything comes down to implementation and in some cases Coax is better than USB, but in others USB is better.
    Regards Neil

I'm Lawrence.

I might be wrong but as I understand it, at some point in the chain the file based output needs to be converted to S/PDIF for most dacs so there is a converter somewhere along the way. High end devices might have a high quality one built in at either end, but for average equipment anything built in is relatively low quality and you are better off getting an external converter from the USB out to the dac S/PDIF in. This often has other advantages in terms of better power supplies (if not driven off the usb power) and electrical isolation.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm denis.

I think that with the impossibility of a consensus about that usb versus spdif, all the crux of the matter depend of the implementation of the audio system and last but not least, i know that for sure, of the cleaning and filtering of the electrical grid and lines of the audio system...I use different mineral pieces of rock for that with a success astoundingly audible...It seems that the right minerals act like a kind of passive filtering device for the electro-magnetic field of the line and of the system and of the computer(router included)... Usually people laugh, and i usually does not talk about this anymore...But this forum is always civilized and if my remarks can make some curious spirit to try some experiment of his own with minerals he will be surprized and i will be pleased... It is difficult to be silent about that extraordinary case, and the results are so revolutionary that i dont call that a "tweaks" anymore...By the way i use s-pdif..

Happy new year to all of you...

I'm John.

A year ago, with much lesser reading and philosophies learned.
    My thoughts on such a suggestion, that to place different minerals around a HiFi System, would have caused huge amusement, and in keeping with the Thread, "I would have thought somebodies taking the S/PDIF here" .
    Today though things are different, I suppose a analogy would be, I have become the flea, that scaled the hair, leaving behind the security of lower environment, to see what the world outside is offering.
    The idea of processing materials such as wire, to re-orientate their molecular structure following manufacture processes is acceptable, and seen as a design that could produce results that surpass a standard process of producing wire.
    The idea of Natural Dielectric Sheathing, Isolating Cable from contacting synthetic materials, are practices I do not see as unnecessary.
    I see them as designs to be tried, when a system is perceived as being at the end point, trying these designs at the interfaces of devices may just eek out the last bit of synergy.
    If your use of crystals has been perceived as a method to eek out that last bit of synergy, then I am pleased you have discovered it.
    It might be cheaper than uber expensive cable.
    For the curious types, who might be enticed to give it a go,
    What crystals types do you use ? How large are the crystals used ? Where do you suggest placing them ?
    As a response to the answers offered to my original post, it is now my view that I will need a Eitr interface between Laptop and DAC.
    Laptop>USB Cable>Eitr > Digital Coax> DAC.
    A device to replace the Laptop will be chosen in 2019, when I have more understanding, at present,
    a Kingdel i7 NUC, at less than $400 has a attraction.

I'm Edward.

What is Eitr?

By the way in addition to optimising your cables (and philosophies?) also focus on optimising the OS on your computer. Lots to do there especially if you are using Windows. Worthwhile improvements to be had. Maybe you already did.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

What would u do Ed, pc wise?
    Last edited by struth; 31-12-2018 at 09:58.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    What is Eitr?
    Good question - some folk seem to think everyone is telepathic
    Could be one of these http://www.schiit.com/products/eitr
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast