+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S/PDIF vs USB

I'm John.

Eitr, as I have used the term generic, is a term used for a device that receives a USB Data and cleans up the noise, before it enters the DAC.
    Schitt make a device called a Eitr , that is solely used to clean up the USB Data Noise. There are other comparative devices, from other brands.
    In my most basic entry set up, I will use a Hard Connector USB Input, to bypass any cable issues, and a Digital Coax Output.
    There are devices that can be used to help support the operation of the Eitr/Device, some put additional USB clean up devices into spare USB Ports, and some put this type of device before the Eitr. For example a iFi Micro USB3.0 or Jitterbug USB Upgrade.
    I am just attempting to create a replay set up, that will evolve, so some of these methods will be on hold.
    I will ask questions as to how to prepare a OS as I get on the journey, as it looks like at present the AudioLinux Software will be the one that I lean towards.
    It has taken a while to get to this position of having a simple understanding of devices to use.
    The devices to be used are yet to be selected, but a shortlist is coming together.

I'm Neal.

John, have you considered going down the Raspberry Pi route? Eliminate all the USB and host OS issues, direct ethernet connection between host and RPi, access and playback via browser on the host using moode or similar on the RPi. You can then focus on the RPi as the end point playback device IE: choice of inbuilt top-hat DAC or SPDIF out to your chosen external DAC. Fancy PSU for the RPi at a later date or a more serious reclocking and low noise PSU setup.

Even further down the line, eliminate the host entirely and use direct attached music store for the RPi or go down the Network attached storage route. Just an idea.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Eitr, as I have used the term generic, is a term used for a device that receives a USB Data and cleans up the noise, before it enters the DAC
    Every day is an education and this one is no different
    I'd never heard that term being used before.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Good question - some folk seem to think everyone is telepathic
    Could be one of these http://www.schiit.com/products/eitr
    Ha! I was wondering how a steam powered Norse game helps in audio rendition only to discover It is a load of quality Shiit.

Mind you I would have thought any half decent dac that has USB input will implement all the necessary reclocking and isolating techniques nagating the need of an outboard converter.

@Grant, I'll come back on your question.

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    John, have you considered going down the Raspberry Pi route? Eliminate all the USB and host OS issues, direct ethernet connection between host and RPi, access and playback via browser on the host using moode or similar on the RPi. You can then focus on the RPi as the end point playback device IE: choice of inbuilt top-hat DAC or SPDIF out to your chosen external DAC. Fancy PSU for the RPi at a later date or a more serious reclocking and low noise PSU setup.

Even further down the line, eliminate the host entirely and use direct attached music store for the RPi or go down the Network attached storage route. Just an idea.
    +1
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    What would u do Ed, pc wise?
    There are various optimisers out there such as Audiophile Optimizer, Fidelizer and CAD. Those are just some examples, many more.

Essentially the aim is get to a point where there is minimal hardware and minimal software running.

So in my case I have a dedicated headless PC with no spinning discs (hard or cd), no fans and with as many options at the BIOS level turned off. And then at the operating system level turn off all services that are not required. I use Win10 pro so I use the 'Services' app to turn things off. But for a quick and dirty way of doing things I run Privacy Repairer which in addition to protecting your privacy also stops loads of background services. Another quick and dirty method is to uninstall loads of unnecessary apps and programs that come as standard with Windows. Use uninstall within ccleaner as the uninstall app within Windows does not allow deletion of some stuff (e.g. xbox). All this gets you 90% of the way.

One of the biggest sonic improvements I experienced was to have music stored on another machine and connected via ethernet. Thus the music rendering machine was freed up from spinning discs, library management and so forth. Another boost was implementing Roon in this server/client model as Roon does all its processing at the Server level so the transport layer to the end point and to the DAC is optimised.

I built a machine some time ago for a friend using Linux which worked well. I may try that again using some of the latest tricks being mentioned.

anyway just some thoughts. as usual ymmv.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    There are various optimisers out there such as Audiophile Optimizer, Fidelizer and CAD. Those are just some examples, many more.

Essentially the aim is get to a point where there is minimal hardware and minimal software running.

So in my case I have a dedicated headless PC with no spinning discs (hard or cd), no fans and with as many options at the BIOS level turned off. And then at the operating system level turn off all services that are not required. I use Win10 pro so I use the 'Services' app to turn things off. But for a quick and dirty way of doing things I run Privacy Repairer which in addition to protecting your privacy also stops loads of background services. Another quick and dirty method is to uninstall loads of unnecessary apps and programs that come as standard with Windows. Use uninstall within ccleaner as the uninstall app within Windows does not allow deletion of some stuff (e.g. xbox). All this gets you 90% of the way.

One of the biggest sonic improvements I experienced was to have music stored on another machine and connected via ethernet. Thus the music rendering machine was freed up from spinning discs, library management and so forth. Another boost was implementing Roon in this server/client model as Roon does all its processing at the Server level so the transport layer to the end point and to the DAC is optimised.

I built a machine some time ago for a friend using Linux which worked well. I may try that again using some of the latest tricks being mentioned.

anyway just some thoughts. as usual ymmv.
    thanks Ed; interesting stuff. not sure i have the courage to mess with pc that much. but might try it with an old one first. getting win 10 to talk with each other is hard enough these days.
    i have been doing similar by getting my laptop and audirvana to do the work then ethernet it to my rpi's. that works well.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

I have been through various 'mental blocks' coming to terms used with all the hardware and software choices, to get to a position, that I can see options to create a digital file replay set up, that will work with my other ambitions.
    My situation is such that the replayed files won't be my main music source, that will be the Vinyl Front End.
    Those moments will be set aside for those serious non distracted listening sessions.
    CD replays are only a recent choice of front end, beginning in 2017, the value that can be had for a small outlay in relation to collecting music, has been a attraction. The CD has certainly gained favor and has become a device that is taken seriously.
    Then I started a collection of FLAC Files. To get the most from the CD's and FLAC Files, I added a custom built Valve Regulated/Valve Output DAC in mid 2018. So the CD's are at present very positively improved by the DAC interface. The FLAC Files are waiting in the wings for their treatment.
    The route I am considering is one that will end up being a multi functioning set up.
    Hence the NUC, for its portability and Software interface capabilities. Music File replays, Movie replays and 4K capability, as the next selection of a device, will also be intended to serve as my low workflow Photo Editing Computer, and 4K is becoming the go to monitor upgrade, with the increased refresh rates in modern 4k TV's, I am sure a IPS Screen 4K TV will soon be available, if it is not already, to meet many basic monitor functions.
    I like the idea of the Digital replay, so that the home can be filled with music from a random playback through the second system for hours on end while other tasks take place around the home.
    At present, most of the many hours of listening done in the home is through a Laptop > FLAC File/Internet Radio > 5KPlayer ( Previously VLC ) > Bluetooth Speaker.

I'm Edward.

John, are the the same JohnG who will be having a room at the Wam show in Kegworth? The one with the Argiriadis custom amp and the ESLs?

I'm John.

Yes, that is me, if all goes well I will be at Kegworth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast