+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off to pick up some new speakers soon

I'm Gary.

Default Off to pick up some new speakers soon

Going to pick up a pair of Epos M5s in a bit, I had some ELS3s a few years ago and loved the sound but found them a bit lacking in lower end clout, hopefully the larger M5s will be a bit better in that department.

I'll report back when I've had a good listen
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Gary.

Well I have to say that after a few hours I'm very impressed

I was initially sceptical when I saw that they were still very small speakers, but their sound certainly belies their size, obviously we're not talking floor shaking bass but they certainly have sufficient low end presence.
    The detail and clarity is probably what impresses most especially with vocals. If I had to find fault I would say perhaps some high piano notes are a little harsh and there's a hint of lispiness at higher volumes.
    Overall for the £130 I paid for them I'm very happy and my Quadrals will be retired immediately.
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Steve.

Congratulations Gary, looks like you got a bit of a bargain. Do you think you'll leave it at that, or maybe try a Creek amp with them? I read that they work well together, but then they would say that wouldn't they
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Stereophile were quite keen on them back in the day.

You've never fancied going for something a bit bigger though? I mean they are pretty dinky.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Stereophile were quite keen on them back in the day.

You've never fancied going for something a bit bigger though? I mean they are pretty dinky.
    Sadly I am totally unable to convince Mrs Gaz that there is very little difference in overall size between bookshelf speakers on stands and foorstanders, which she refers to as "big ugly things"
    So the answer is no, in the interest of domestic marmony
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Congratulations Gary, looks like you got a bit of a bargain. Do you think you'll leave it at that, or maybe try a Creek amp with them? I read that they work well together, but then they would say that wouldn't they
    I did have a Creek 4040 many years ago, bought to replace my trusty old NAD 3020, it turned out I prefered the NAD and sold the Creek.
    I haven't heard much about their newer offerings so haven't really considered it.
    If I replace my amp it would probably be with a chuffing great Sony ES or Roksan Kandy
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Sadly I am totally unable to convince Mrs Gaz that there is very little difference in overall size between bookshelf speakers on stands and foorstanders, which she refers to as "big ugly things"
    So the answer is no, in the interest of domestic marmony
    Women. Difficult to understand, and I'm too lazy to try. I usually let Mrs. Pony have things her way, so if it turns to shit I can't be blamed And luckily for me she likes "big ugly things".

And she thinks standmounts look like robots, so my floorstanders are safe.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Dennis.

Never understood the preference for standmounts. What are we going to use the space under the speaker for exactly?

And, the instability and need for retention bolts, and children knocking them over?

I'm Steve.

Just the contrary nature of our "better" half. If we could just fool them into thinking we'd really rather have standmounts, they'd object on the grounds of them being a pig to hoover under

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    I did have a Creek 4040 many years ago, bought to replace my trusty old NAD 3020, it turned out I prefered the NAD and sold the Creek.
    I haven't heard much about their newer offerings so haven't really considered it.
    If I replace my amp it would probably be with a chuffing great Sony ES or Roksan Kandy
    Good choice Gary. My daughter has my old M5s on the end of a Roksan Kandy amp. They sound much better than they should at the price, I paid about the same. Good detail, I think the treble is good with this combo and punchy bass if not deep.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast