+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shpongle convert!

I'm Steve.

Default Shpongle convert!

After a mention by Geoff Walpurgis, and a link provided by Steve (Pierre) I decided to give them a go. Until now I only knew of Shpongle through AOS members, and must admit I was a little put off by the name, sounding like something Brian Pern rejected before settling on Thotch.

Nothing like I was expecting! I spent the time during the first two or three tracks trying to decide what it was like - a bit like The Orb, no, more like Future Sound of London - and finally decided it actually didn't really sound like anything else. Did however remind me a bit of a couple of "Megadog" events I went to at Manchester Academy in the early nineties, with acts like Eat Static and Banco De Gaia.

Anyway, I've got a few tracks saved in my favourites now, and I intend to check out some related stuff (Younger Brother and Hallucinogen).

Interesting times ahead! Now I wonder if those mushrooms I put in the freezer in 1974 will still work?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Josie.

Lol... Shpongle are FAB.

I've known them since their first album but lost touch for a number of years. Their last few offerings have been totally brilliant.

Hallucinogen is just is good but in a more relaxed way.

Glad you've been Shpongled.

Mushies, yup... Lol Last time I had any was at a chemical bros concert a looong time ago.

Yes, I threw shapes.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Nothing like I was expecting! I spent the time during the first two or three tracks trying to decide what it was like - a bit like The Orb, no, more like Future Sound of London - and finally decided it actually didn't really sound like anything else. Did however remind me a bit of a couple of "Megadog" events I went to at Manchester Academy in the early nineties, with acts like Eat Static and Banco De Gaia.

Anyway, I've got a few tracks saved in my favourites now, and I intend to check out some related stuff (Younger Brother and Hallucinogen)
    You are right Steve, Shpongle do not sound like anything else. Others may come close in style though. And Younger Brother and Hallucinogen are well worth checking out. All three acts/bands being associated with Simon Posford, he's a clever guy.

If you do a Discogs search on the above, you will be offered links to other similar music, many of which can be heard on YouTube.

I have dozens of albums of this type of music and still give my Eat Static a spin too and Ozric Tentacles.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

It got the better of me and I've been Shpongle'd. I rather like them.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Lol... Shpongle are FAB.

I've known them since their first album but lost touch for a number of years. Their last few offerings have been totally brilliant.

Hallucinogen is just is good but in a more relaxed way.

Glad you've been Shpongled.

Mushies, yup... Lol Last time I had any was at a chemical bros concert a looong time ago.

Yes, I threw shapes.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    I also threw shapes in the nineties, unfortunately they were mostly round. Didn't stop me trying though. Chemical Brothers were very good at getting you moving!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Shaun.

Check out The Peaking Goddess Collective and Flooting Grooves as well. Bloody good stuff.

I'm Shaun.

Early Ozric tentacles are bloody amazing too but in a totally different way. Pungent Effulgent and Erpland are stunning albums.

I'm Geoff.

Check out 'Pandora's Box' album by Megalon too. Well worth grabbing but not easy to find.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread