+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: THE ALLO KATANA 1.2 DAC REVIEW - A new ball game

I'm Twisted.

Thanks both. I have a couple of Lurcher linear supplies. I use one for the Pi now, I imagine I can get an adapter for the other.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Josie.

Just updating this thread for you guys.

I've recently been running the SQ version opposed to the THD version lately.

The difference between them both is small. Differences with the SQ is a smoother, more analogue sound. It reminds me of a more vintage DAC but without the bad bits. It has the same presentation, focus and scale as the THD version but with a touch more class. A more ethereal, classic and natural quality.

The bass is somewhat more dynamic too. Still as lovely as THD but with a tad more sway.

So far it's been in my system for just over 3 days and so this is still 'burning in'so I'll be back with more later on.

My preference so far is the SQ is more me but I'll be keeping both to do further experiments.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm James.

What does SQ and THD stand for Josie?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Twisted.

Hi Jimbo

This from the Allo site

Katana gives you the choice between 2 stages:
    "Pure THD+N": At -112.9 Thd+n 1Khz A weighted, this stage will satisfy those that want no distortion in music. Board sounds very good.
    "Sound quality" stage: 100.5 Thd+n a weighted 1Khz, this board has been optimized for sound quality. While sacrificing some thd+n numbers we found the subjective experience to be, in a word, closer to analog sound.

You can apparently change from one to the other within the same unit by moving jumpers and suchlike.

Simon
    Simon

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Josie.

Aw.. Thanks Simon.

Sorry, James.. I just kept getting distracted but Simon has explained it better than I.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm James.

Thanks for the explanation. I think the SQ may sound better?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Josie.

That's my findings, James.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Twisted.

I’ve been using the Katana (SQ version) with Isolator for a few weeks and thought some fellow forum members might appreciate a further user perspective.

For the record I have no relationship with Allo, other than as a customer. I haven’t used their other products and I purchased the Katana with my own cash.

A bit of preamble. I have used the PI & IQ Audio DAC+ combo since whenever it was the DAC+ came out. A couple of years at least. Before that I had streamed to Squeezebox devices from a Vortexbox (NAS). So I am pretty comfortable with streaming solutions.

I use the Katana with the recommended two PSU setup; a Nick Lurcher Linear supply for the isolator/Katana and a switch-mode for the Pi. The rest of the system is a ‘Lurcher’ built 300b SET (super) and Colin Topps Fenwick (wonderful largish stand mounts).

Cutting to the chase, in every respect the Katana is fantastic. My experience fully reflects the improvements and characteristics others have described - timing, separation, sound stage, detail retrieval – large ticks in every box. I have encountered no listener fatigue. Quite the contrary the sound is so engaging that I am spending hours listening. It’s a wonder.

Within my system this is not a small step up. The improvements were instantly very noticeable, as well they might be - the Katana is at least six times the price of the DAC+ - so there’s no dishonour to IQ audio here.

I waited some weeks before writing this up to allow myself time to validate my opinions and observe any burn-in effect. I have to say I’m unsure about burn in, not that I disbelieve the possibility, but I’m not sure to what extent perceived differences are due to physical component changes vs getting used to a sound signature over time. I feel it is sounding smoother.

Further observations:
    I use the Katana with Picoreplayer. All works a treat. There are some DSP options that you can do on the fly, but I’ve found the changes (at best) very subtle. A welcome addition is that you can set a maximum volume through Picore, and then tweak volume in player software.

The katana runs warm.

I purchased the pre-made player version, which should effectively be a plug-and-play 2 psu option. That wasn’t quite my experience since the kit is supplied set up as though it were the non-isolator version. To get mine working I had to a) buy a second USBC adaptor (only one is supplied), and b) close a jumper (bung the supplied cap over a couple of prongs – skill level required: toddler). Potential buyers should note that although set up is for two PSU operation, only one is supplied.

None of these things are big deals, but although Allo provide a ‘how to’ guide, I hadn’t appreciated I would need to do them, and so set up involved a bit of swearing and for Paul from Picoreplayer to point out I needed to close off the jumper.

So, a little more refinement needed in Allo’s customer experience, but far from being a bewilderingly complex set up that some have speculated about.

Hope this is useful to some folk.
    Simon

Twitter @siashmore

Bigman80 Guest

Can the isolator be used with the boss?

I'm Grant.

why those little.... yup agree if you bought it a a up and running unit they should have supplied 2 psu and done thumper or at least added a leaflet with how to.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast