+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: THE ALLO KATANA 1.2 DAC REVIEW - A new ball game

I'm Damian.

Those Allo products are bloody good. Picked up a Allo DigiOne and paired it up to a RPi 3B+ and the 7" touchscreen and with a little bit of effort (Stanley knife) got them all connected inside the official 7" case powered with a iFi iPower power supply.

The sound quality is truly excellent and certainly a rival for my Cambridge Audio CXN and gives me a chance to start using my DAC again.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by smallangryboy View Post
    Looks that way Currently reasonable happy with the Boss 1.2 and a cheap Chinese linear supply, I'm wondering if the katana gives that much more at 4 times the price?

Do you have any experience using the Allo isolator? I'm wondering if this will add anything to my setup...
    I recommend the isolator for sure.

It certainly adds more body to the sound.

The katana is a great upgrade from the Boss 1.2. But the Boss is a superb dac so just take your time with things.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

Bigman80 Guest

I'm sitting here listening to a Allo Boss? Stuck on top of some raspberry pie, courtesy of a loan from Mikeyb.

I'm very impressed.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'm sitting here listening to a Allo Boss? Stuck on top of some raspberry pie, courtesy of a loan from Mikeyb.

I'm very impressed.
    Yep the boss dac is really something special IMO. The katana 1.2 simply adds to it.

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I recommend the isolator for sure.

It certainly adds more body to the sound.

The katana is a great upgrade from the Boss 1.2. But the Boss is a superb dac so just take your time with things.
    Cheers! I will, I'm enjoying the journey. The aim is to build a Naim ND5XS2 but a little cheaper 😁

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by smallangryboy View Post
    Cheers! I will, I'm enjoying the journey. The aim is to build a Naim ND5XS2 but a little cheaper
    Lol.. A LOT cheaper...

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

Bigman80 Guest

I have a pi question or two.

1) IF I were to use a SSD with the Pi to store the music files, would it need any extra power?

2) IF I were to use a Linear PSU, What king of spec would be required and does anyone have a handy link?

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Yep the boss dac is really something special IMO. The katana 1.2 simply adds to it.

Couldn’t stop smiling first time I heard the Boss in action. It still amazes me now, every time I listen it pulls out something new. My other sources have all been relegated. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Bill.

I'm also using a Boss V1.2 and am very impressed with it. Thinking about buying an external DAC but can't bring myself to do it at the moment.

The isolator board has been mentioned, I have read this is not suitable for the Boss, is that not correct?
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    I'm also using a Boss V1.2 and am very impressed with it. Thinking about buying an external DAC but can't bring myself to do it at the moment.

The isolator board has been mentioned, I have read this is not suitable for the Boss, is that not correct?
    I am using the isolator with the Boss, works like a charm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast