+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: THE ALLO KATANA 1.2 DAC REVIEW - A new ball game

Yatsushiro Guest

Hi Josie

What OS are you running on the RPi3, Moode?

I'm Josie.

Hi Paul.

Currently using Volumio which isn't my favorite. I used to use Moode but it got all fiddly to install but now I believe it's back as a straight forward install so when I get time I'll install Moode.

I have it downloaded but just not got round to using it.

Which are you using?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Yatsushiro Guest

Currently on PiCorePlayer, having been through Rune, Moode and Volumio. Never got on too well with Volumio, always preferred Rune until I discovered PCP. I have an RPi based LMS, supporting 5 different RPi/DAC combinations in various rooms.

It's extremely stable, very easy to install and configure. It runs totally in RAM, so easily survives a planned or unplanned powerdown, and doesn't end up corrupting your SD card file system.

Have a look: https://picoreplayer.org/

I'm Adam.

Stupid question but do you know the height for all the stacked boards and including the Raspberry PI? I'm auditioning DACS at the moment and am on the Allo ones. This one is on my hit list but the case with the supply where it's going isn't very tall...

I'm Alastair.

I have an Allo DigiOne feeding a Caiman SEG DAC. I have been considering an upgrade to the Digione Signature but, for not much more money I could have a "single box" solution using the Katana.

It would be interesting if anyone compared the Katana against the DigiOne/Caiman SEG or Digione Signature/Caiman SEG combos.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by smallangryboy View Post
    Stupid question but do you know the height for all the stacked boards and including the Raspberry PI? I'm auditioning DACS at the moment and am on the Allo ones. This one is on my hit list but the case with the supply where it's going isn't very tall...
    Will find that out for you, no probs.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by smallangryboy View Post
    I'd say 7.5cm high to be safe, 8cm to be safer. That's from the top of the bottom plate (including standoffs to the Pi) to the highest point on the top board.

Hope that helps.

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Adam.

That's great, but not so great as my case is 55mm high internally 🤔

Thanks though!

I'm Josie.

Your very welcome. Time to get a bigger case maybe? ... Lol

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Adam.

Looks that way 😁 Currently reasonable happy with the Boss 1.2 and a cheap Chinese linear supply, I'm wondering if the katana gives that much more at 4 times the price?

Do you have any experience using the Allo isolator? I'm wondering if this will add anything to my setup...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast