+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: THE ALLO KATANA 1.2 DAC REVIEW - A new ball game

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by sourplum View Post
    I am using the isolator with the Boss, works like a charm
    Does it fit between the Pi and Boss or on top?

I guess it won't fit inside the aluminium case?
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Alastair.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I have a pi question or two.

1) IF I were to use a SSD with the Pi to store the music files, would it need any extra power?

2) IF I were to use a Linear PSU, What king of spec would be required and does anyone have a handy link?
    You can run the SSD from the USB, no problem. I did that for a while but (apparently) an SSD generates a lot of noise; I have found the sound to be better streaming from my NAS across wifi.

From what I have read, a linear PSU might be wasted on the RPi itself. I recently bought a 50000 mAh MaxOak battery which has high current output and lasts ages and is much cheaper than a quality linear PSU with a high output current. The DigiOne Signature and Katana both isolate the "dirty" power of the RPi from a separate clean power supply (e.g. a battery or linear PSU) and you also need much lower current supply for that part too.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alp View Post
    You can run the SSD from the USB, no problem. I did that for a while but (apparently) an SSD generates a lot of noise; I have found the sound to be better streaming from my NAS across wifi.

From what I have read, a linear PSU might be wasted on the RPi itself. I recently bought a 50000 mAh MaxOak battery which has high current output and lasts ages and is much cheaper than a quality linear PSU with a high output current. The DigiOne Signature and Katana both isolate the "dirty" power of the RPi from a separate clean power supply (e.g. a battery or linear PSU) and you also need much lower current supply for that part too.
    Ah, I see.

Thanks for that.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Thanks, Mike. Your welcome.

Yes, the case work is rather simple. I now feel this Allo package now needs to be presented much more professionally. To be able to buy a nicely designed case which fixes the wiring direction issue would be superb.

It's all good feedback for Allo.
    I would have bought this myself if the product was produced in a case ideally with a good LPS to feed each board. At the asking price it needs to excel on ergonomics and not just on SQ!

I'm A.

My unstacked stack in 50mm case.

I'm Geoff.

Sugden box, but internals look non-standard to me. Not that I'm familiar with the original.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Twisted.

Hello all

I continue to use the Pi3 + IQ Audio DAC combo. I've been (and continue to be) mostly very happy with it. But having been 'away' for a couple of years I see things have moved on somewhat!

I'm not a newcomer but it's hard to assess the merits of digital stuff, and I suppose I have the impossible question - so with apologies in advance for it - in what ways could I expect this modern marvel to exceed my IQaudio setup? (I note we are in a different price bracket here too).

Simon

PS I'm running a lovely Lurcher 300b, and terrific Reiver (Colin Topps) speakers, it's a revealing system. I manage the current pi set up with picore and squeezecommander.
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmore View Post
    Hello all

I continue to use the Pi3 + IQ Audio DAC combo. I've been (and continue to be) mostly very happy with it. But having been 'away' for a couple of years I see things have moved on somewhat!

I'm not a newcomer but it's hard to assess the merits of digital stuff, and I suppose I have the impossible question - so with apologies in advance for it - in what ways could I expect this modern marvel to exceed my IQaudio setup? (I note we are in a different price bracket here too).

Simon

PS I'm running a lovely Lurcher 300b, and terrific Reiver (Colin Topps) speakers, it's a revealing system. I manage the current pi set up with picore and squeezecommander.
    I've had an IQAudio DAC hat before, in fact it was my first Pi DAC, but I have to say that the Allo kit is better sounding but others might say different.

The Allo kit is more expensive of course so no shame on the IQAudio.

I'm John.

@Ashmore

I think you would find that the Katana is in a different league, and your system is certainly good enough to benefit from it. You need to factor in the cost of at least two decent 5V power supplies though.

I'm A.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Sugden box, but internals look non-standard to me. Not that I'm familiar with the original.
    Pi3b+
    Allo Katana 1.2
    Allo Isolator
    2x 5v linear PSU from MPAudio
    240v to 6v AC transformer from MPAudio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast