+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to Clean Vinyl Records....

I'm brian.

Useful. Thanks Grant

I'm Robin.

I’m thinking of obtaining an RCM, so interested in all the comments
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Myself and a friend had been considering buying the gear between us and sharing it, but not sure how effective it is or if it could possible damage records if frequency/power is too high.
    I bought mine from a guy called Tim on the WAM forum, who'd put a lot of thought/research into optimum power/frequency. It works very well and I've encountered no evidence whatsoever of damage or deterioration to records. The only downside I can see is that if you just leave records to air dry you can sometimes have some contamination left behind. This has only happened to me a couple of times, but I guess the ideal solution would be to use 2 machines, an ultrasonic followed by a vacuum clean/dry.
    The ultrasonic cleaner really comes into its own with very dirty records, and has mede several charity shop basket cases perfectly playable.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    I bought mine from a guy called Tim on the WAM forum, who'd put a lot of thought/research into optimum power/frequency. It works very well and I've encountered no evidence whatsoever of damage or deterioration to records. The only downside I can see is that if you just leave records to air dry you can sometimes have some contamination left behind. This has only happened to me a couple of times, but I guess the ideal solution would be to use 2 machines, an ultrasonic followed by a vacuum clean/dry.
    The ultrasonic cleaner really comes into its own with very dirty records, and has mede several charity shop basket cases perfectly playable.
    That's very useful information makes me feel a bit more comfortable giving it a go. We came across one for a reasonable price that has adjustable power/frequency and also is heated with adjustable setting, I think it takes up to 5 records. I will have to chat with my friend.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    these are the mofi ones.. expensive but top quality... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Fide...+inner+sleeves

plenty others that are cheaper tho. you also get paper ones that have vinyl/poly linings. paper always leaves a bit of detritus and also can leave paper scratches on vinyl record...then there is the static build up with paper
    Yes I use the MoFi inner sleeves, they aren’t the cheapest. But are thick enough to keep their shape while stuffing them into an album cover. Actually I got a kit when I bought an RCM, that had the Super Record Wash fluid, the MoFi scrubber brush, and these sleeves. So, it was kind of by chance that I got this brand, but I’ve been pleased with them.

Russell

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    That's very useful information makes me feel a bit more comfortable giving it a go. We came across one for a reasonable price that has adjustable power/frequency and also is heated with adjustable setting, I think it takes up to 5 records. I will have to chat with my friend.
    Might be worth contacting Tim (user name "spider") on the wam forum. The unit he sells is very well thought out, although it only does one record at a time.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I’ve got all the gear to do ultrasonic bath cleaning of my records, including the cleaning solution. Despite having it for months now I still can’t be bothered to actually do it...
    I also have an ultrasonic bath and fan drying system that i bought from ebay as a vinyl cleaning kit, i use the distilled water, IPA, Ifotol mix and find that it does a decent job on most records, i think some of the problems i've found with certain records being noisy even after a cleaning cycle is more to do with the vinyl, for instance i have an original pressing of Elton John "Captain Fantastic" i inherited it from my dad (i was only 6 when it was released) it's as noisy as hell so i cleaned it and it made a difference but not as good as i expected, so since the original clean i've bought 3 more copies of the album in an attempt to get a good one, they all sound the same, this got me thinking, i've got other LP's from that era and earlier that have cleaned up like new, my dad was quite anal with his vinyl, he handled and stored it correctly, so why is this LP so bad and why are all the 1975 / 76 pressings of this album in much the same state, can it be that i've just be unlucky with all the copies i've bought, my feeling is that it might be the particular vinyl or batch of vinyl used for these pressings?

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    i've got other LP's from that era and earlier that have cleaned up like new, my dad was quite anal with his vinyl, he handled and stored it correctly, so why is this LP so bad and why are all the 1975 / 76 pressings of this album in much the same state, can it be that i've just be unlucky with all the copies i've bought, my feeling is that it might be the particular vinyl or batch of vinyl used for these pressings?
    I would agree that this can sometimes be the issue with some records production runs, poor control of quality of the process and/or the vinyl, or a run that is extended too far. I came across this very issue with a copy of Genesis - and Then There Were Three, a challenging pressing anyway as it is well over the optimum 22 minutes each side. The first copy I had came fro ma long run and I presume towards the end or possibly poor vinyl and it was noisy and distorted in in parts. I purchased a Canadian pressing from CA which was a small run and the difference was like chalk and cheese.

All these variances can make cleaning records a torturous process.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Anto.

Just my silly 2 pennyworth!

I have a noisy copy of Then there were 3 too- hmmm

I buck the trend by washing my records in the sink . Dried on dirt needs a good soaking in my opinion ,and I wash the record in the sink in one of my Knosti baths!
    I dont use any of my record cleaning mix fluid to start with - just filtered (preferably) hot water and a wool wash soap liquid . Its preferable to leave them for a minute or 2 out of the bath and go again .
    usually theres loads of hottish water and loads of soap , so changing it frequently is the way to go !
    Then I rinse them with plain water , and then into my second bath with the proper solution in it!

Agree about the letting them drip dry not good , you can sometimes see a faint line of stuff in that bottom area ! Vacuum good

Sorry ,it might sound tight ,but its the way I have done it
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Just my silly 2 pennyworth!

I have a noisy copy of Then there were 3 too- hmmm

I buck the trend by washing my records in the sink . Dried on dirt needs a good soaking in my opinion ,and I wash the record in the sink in one of my Knosti baths!
    I dont use any of my record cleaning mix fluid to start with - just filtered (preferably) hot water and a wool wash soap liquid . Its preferable to leave them for a minute or 2 out of the bath and go again .
    usually theres loads of hottish water and loads of soap , so changing it frequently is the way to go !
    Then I rinse them with plain water , and then into my second bath with the proper solution in it!

Agree about the letting them drip dry not good , you can sometimes see a faint line of stuff in that bottom area ! Vacuum good

Sorry ,it might sound tight ,but its the way I have done it
    I don't think it's tight at all. I think that whatever you put on a record there is a risk of leaving some residue behind, the key IMO is to rinse the record as much as possible with distilled water at the end of whatever process you follow and then to vacuum off. An as you say some records are stubborn to get clean due to the contamination that they have been subjected to over many years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast