+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which B & O TT for Dad??

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    That's a bit strong. I dont think his message was meant to offend in any way whatsoever!
    Maybe but he has effectively said I havent heard them so am talking rubbish. Im simply saying who else has recommended them? SME etc might as well go home then yeah. Who are you coming out with a bit strong sir....ooooh dear. Each to their own but what I say stands

I'm Grant.

Think we need to keep calm folks. No personal attacks please.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Ok that is understood but surely a forum is about a consensus of opinion or we are ALL going backwards

Lets put a specific B&O turntable up against others at the money and break it down. lets have a poll

I have to say that threads like this can take us backwards....do I ignore them or take it on because it gets ridiculous in my opinion...either we are striving for the art of sound or lets just buy something prettier with a lesser sound

Im relating this the original question. we cant have it both ways on the budget mentioned. Both styling and sound quality have to be paid for.. the lower the price...... the bigger the trade off
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 20-12-2018 at 11:29.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    a forum is about a consensus of opinion
    Hardly. There'd be nothing to discuss if that were the case!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hardly. There'd be nothing to discuss if that were the case!
    Well you know what I mean...trying to get a consensus of opinion on certain important things....if there is no real direction in hi fi then what are we all aiming at?..70s amps, digital amps, B&O...many are off on their own tangent. Im not saying they can't but they need to be challenged once in a while when discussing sound quality

You know what I am getting at. If b&0 turntables were the be all and end all, it would make things simpler for me.

Everyone gets in a hissy fit...well dont bring blinkered nonsense up on a open forum then. £400 budget ...B&O as a considered buy? utter nonsense!

I'm inactive.

Everyone gets in a hissy fit...well dont bring blinkered nonsense up on a open forum then. £400 budget ...B&O as a considered buy? utter nonsense!
    Utter nonsense?
    Only time will tell ... took me about a minute to find this one on eBay ... with a starting price of £199 and no bids (includes speakers too)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bang-Olufsen-B-O-Beocenter-7000-Tape-Vinyl-Radio-Remote-Speakers/173692964827?hash=item2870e84fdb:g:yocAAOSwSYdbsSs o:rk:40f:0

Looks to be the same vinyl set-up as the 1500 mentioned by the OP

I'm Grant.

again don't call people's opinions nonsense.. that's very important... its not nonsense, its their valid opinion. just as your opinion put better would be valid. if you dont rate b&o then fine, say so, but don't criticize folks pride and joy because you dont happen to like them.

B&O TT's ive heard were pretty good, witout being great. Carts were top quality, and a lot of R&D went into them. I found them to be inclined to amplify any vibrations personally, but no doubt in their day they were good decks, and still are; that said they wont threaten top decks, bar their looks, but they wont shame your music either.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I have never heard a B&O turntable so I have no axe to grind. I do know that I refused to listen to many products because I was told that other products were so far superior.

In the same way many thought that British hifi was the world's best, through its promotion by the British hifi press, many are now discovering that the statement products of the Japanese hifi industry were outstanding and criminally ignored.

I suspect that there are some products made by B&O that were ignored as being style over substance, that were far from it. I know that my own MS150.2 speakers are a 30Kg lump of SEAS drivers, and the earlier 5000 model featured Celestion drivers. I certainly wish that I had known in my teens what I now know regarding hifi.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Adam.

Default Which B & O TT for Dad??

Maybe but he has effectively said I havent heard them so am talking rubbish. Im simply saying who else has recommended them? SME etc might as well go home then yeah. Who are you coming out with a bit strong sir....ooooh dear. Each to their own but what I say stands
    Firstly, please show me where I suggested you have never heard one? My question was a genuine one - you expressed an opinion that all B&O's turntables are 'style over substance'and I was merely interested to know which models you had heard to formulate this opinion? For example, if it was a Beogram 1000 then I would probably see where you are coming from, as it's not the greatest deck in the world, in my opinion. However, if it was a Beogram 8002 with an MMC1 cartridge then I would have to firmly disagree with you.

As to this comment:

You would rather have some bottom of the range B&O for the styling would you?? Im talking sound value for money here.

Pray enlighten me after 40 years of reading the hi fi press...oh and dont harp on about the hi fi press with an agenda
    Maybe you need to buy a few back-issues of the A5 issue of Hi-Fi Choice. I was looking through mine after your original comment about 'best buys' and found Beogram 1700 - "Recommended", Beogram 1800 - "Recommended" and Beogram 8002 - "Recommended", so I'm not sure who you think universally panned them? Yes, there was some dissention about the ultra-light arms and the proprietary cartridges, but this isn't unreasonable.

It is also worth remembering that the above "Recommended" Beogram 1800 cost £115 at the time - only a little more than a Dual CS505-4 and less than a Rega Planar 2! Would I have the Beogram over these two? Hell yes!

You don't like B&O - this is clear and that's fine. But to sweepingly dismiss over 40 years worth of turntable designs encompassing belt drive, direct drive, idler drive, linear tracking, radial tracking and three main ranges of cartridges (some designed by Subir Pramanik - you know; the bloke who gave his name to the Pramanik stylus profile that he invented!) is rather short-sighted, in my opinion.

Oh and finally, regarding this comment:

You must have missed this part of the OP's first post:

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Given his previous experience and love of the B&O brand, I was wondering if there are any reliable 2nd hand B & O models out there that you'd recommend that would require little/no fettling...
    Last edited by Beobloke; 20-12-2018 at 15:37.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    again don't call people's opinions nonsense.. that's very important... its not nonsense, its their valid opinion. .
    Not necessarily, not all opinions are valid - not unless we are going to go down the 'everyone gets a prize' road and if that's the case I'm getting out of the bus now.

It's good to see people getting a bit fired up about something, frankly.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast