+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which B & O TT for Dad??

I'm Drew.

Default Which B & O TT for Dad??

Hi

Years after owning the Beogram 1500 system, my father is looking to get back into vinyl and is considering the Audio Technia AT-LP-120-USB to partner with
    Edifica R1280T Speakers. While undoubtedly a convenient choice and easy set up, I suspect he may be rather underwhelmed by these modern counterparts. Given his previous experience and love of the B&O brand, I was wondering if there are any reliable 2nd hand B & O models out there that you'd recommend that would require little/no fettling... Oh, and an amp and speakers to boot. He'd like to spend a max of £400, all in, is it doable?? Thanks!

I'm Martin.

I own 3 or 4 B & O decks because I really like the styling, but to be honest they aren't anything special musically and replacement styli are either impossible to find or very overpriced so my advice is look elsewhere and get him something better and more practical for the money. I've no experience with the Audio Technica, or those speakers, but £400 would easily secure you a nice used 1980s amp, speakers and deck with money left over for a new belt and stylus, that should give you a much higher level of performance than a B & O or the new AT deck.

I'm Adam.

I would disagree and say that some of the vintage B&O decks can perform very well indeed. The problem is the proprietary cartridges, meaning you're relying on having a worn one rebuilt, buying a NOS one of uncertain condition online, or going for B&O's official replacement supplier, Soundsmith, in the USA. Unfortunately, whilst I have yet to try one myself, one or two people I've spoken with reckon that the Soundsmith ones are voiced somewhat differently to the originals and they've not been that impressed.

If you want to go B&O, though, I'd recommend one of the following:

(1) A Beogram 1700/2200/2400 which will take the MMC20S/MMC20E/MMC20EN/MMC20CL range of cartridges. These are not linear tracking, so are less complicated.

(2) A Beogram 1800/2000/5000/RX2 which will take the MMC1-5 series of later cartridges. The RX2 was also designed for non-B&O systems and so has phono plugs on its outputs, rather than the DIN plugs that all the others will use.

My choice would be (2), as I prefer the MMC1-5 cartridges, but option (1) is by no means a poor relation, and the MMC20x series of cartridges tend to be a bit cheaper.

Do be warned, though, this B&O thing is horribly addictive, and if your dad does go down this route, expect to see him eyeing up Beogram 8000s before long...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The B&O MMC20 range of cartridges are some of the best vintage fixed-coil cartridges made. I have several of them and they rival my ADC25s and AKG P8ES in performance.

They are all high compliance devices, so need a low mass arm. Obviously, the arms on the B&O decks ought to be suitable.
    Barry

I'm Drew.

Great info, thanks guys

I'm Martin.

The OP has a £400 budget for everything, unless I'm missing some cheap source for styli a B & O stylus could easily blow half of that or all of it and I definitely wouldn't trust a used stylus of unknown provenance, just saying.

I'm Martin.

Ive never seen a B&O turntable anywhere near the best buys at any price. As far as Im concerned that brand is just about the styling and there are much better buys out there

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Ive never seen a B&O turntable anywhere near the best buys at any price. As far as Im concerned that brand is just about the styling and there are much better buys out there
    It's a common opinion, so you're not alone!

Out of interest, what didn't you like about the models you have heard?
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    It's a common opinion, so you're not alone!

Out of interest, what didn't you like about the models you have heard?
    Yes I'm not alone!

Ok then seeing as you are throwing down the gauntlet...when have you ever seen a B&0 turntable recommended over a Rega at the sensible end or a Moon Audio system at the upper end.......When would that be?? What percentage of AOS readers are buying B&O then.. there's you.....and?.........touche I dont want to get personal but come on!

You would rather have some bottom of the range B&O for the styling would you?? Im talking sound value for money here.

Pray enlighten me after 40 years of reading the hi fi press...oh and dont harp on about the hi fi press with an agenda
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 20-12-2018 at 10:52.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    No Im not alone!

Ok then seeing as you are throwing down the gauntlet...when have you ever seen a B&0 turntable recommended over a Rega at the sensible end or a Moon Audio system at the upper end.......When would that be?? What percentage of AOS readers are buying B&O then.. there's you.....and?.........touche I dont want to get personal but come on!

You would rather have some bottom of the range B&O for the styling would you?? Im talking ultimate value for money here.

Pray enlighten me after 40 years of reading the hi fi press...oh and dont harp on about the hi fi press because you would also be calling them idiots
    That's a bit strong. I dont think his message was meant to offend in any way whatsoever!
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast