+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge Gain Question

I'm Simon.

Default Cartridge Gain Question

As per title - I have an Audio Technica AT33PTG11. I'm using a Croft RIAA phono stage and am looking for a suitable SUT. What kind of gain should I be looking at?
    Cheers.
    Simon.

I'm Dave.

Take a look at the Rothwell head amps and x'mers. Excellent quality and very reasonable prices.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The cartridge has a typical output of 0.3mV, so an SUT with a 10:1 ratio will boost it to 3mV, which ought to be sufficient with the sensitivity of the Croft preamp (which model is it?).

Assuming the croft offers a load of 47KOhm, then the impedance as seen by the cartridge will be ~470 Ohm, which again ought to be fine with the AT33PTG. If you do need a lower value, then you can add a loading resistor in parallel with the secondary winding of the SUT.
    Barry

I'm Simon.

Thanks guys. Excellent info as always . The Croft RIAA phono has been a revelation. I've been running a cheapo Tonar Diablo cartridge through it and it really shouldn't sound as good as it does for a sub £50 cartridge. I'm curious as to how good the AT33PTG11 would sound.
    I keep trying to convince myself that the Tonar is all I really need but there's always that nagging voice, isn't there?
    Simon.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    Thanks guys. Excellent info as always . The Croft RIAA phono has been a revelation. I've been running a cheapo Tonar Diablo cartridge through it and it really shouldn't sound as good as it does for a sub £50 cartridge. I'm curious as to how good the AT33PTG11 would sound.
    I keep trying to convince myself that the Tonar is all I really need but there's always that nagging voice, isn't there?
    Great cart the AT33PTGII.

I'm M.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Take a look at the Rothwell head amps and x'mers. Excellent quality and very reasonable prices.
    +1

I'm Dave.

All the Rothwell products are unbeatable for the price.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Great cart the AT33PTGII.
    +1
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Alan.

I have an upgraded A&R HA-10 head amp that I am looking for £90, I'll include delivery.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    +1
    I see you have a Qutest there now Clive, what do you think of it?

I had one a few months back and was wowed!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast