+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herron VTSP2 preamp ... I'm impressed ...

I'm Alan.

Ah but it might be the best thing ever in their system.

As my system has steadily got better and better I have come to the conclusion that there are strata in the performance of others, or even any, system.
    The component just bough may have replaced the weak link in said system.

The biggest thing to remember is Everything matters, more so as the performance improves.

I'm Peter.

There are surely moments when things fall into place. First the Quad ESL 57 paired with the Ear 516 and then the Herron VTSP2.

Now I "just" need to find a suitable phono stage or phono pre (tape out) that will do this. Not too clinical, but I like to hear details in the music mix without losing the overall perspective. I lived for over 20 years with a Naim set-up in particular Naim phono cards (323) and a Prefix so I may be partial to that sort of "distortion". I am not made of money - although I have spent money feeding the Hifi habit as if I was made of solid gold - so I can't go super sonic. Although, quite contrary to my nature, I could save up for once.

Candidates for long term phono stages - none of which I have heard "live":

EAR Yoshino 324 (they never pop up s/h)
    Miyajima phono pre (never read a review, so does this exist in Europe?)
    Sugden Masterclass PA-4 (+/- SUT)
    Paradise phono stage
    Goldnote PH10 (I like its versatility and upgradeability -psu, valve output stage etc. + I can audition this one)
    Naim Superline (but so expensive with Supercap)
    Naim Prefix - been there but I have fond memories of it, so could use it as a stepping stone to Superline
    Herron Phono stage
    Firebottle ...
    Audion Premier MM stage + SUT
    EAR 802 (tape out, or another good vintage pre with a very good phono stage)
    (Keep my) Arcam rPhono + Partridge 977 SUT

I have owned Ayre P5xe (very clean and clear but I missed a bit of luxurious glow), Naim Prefix, McIntosh C48 (did not like sound signature), Perreaux SXV2, Arkless Turbo+, Primare R32 (too much needle noise), Yaquin MM stage, Puresound SUT (had too little gain). I must say that I tested the phono stages while my set-up went through so many changes that I only mention the ones that stood out).
    Last edited by Rosewind; 24-12-2018 at 11:29.

I'm Peter.

I bought a Croft Riaa R which I like very much with my Partridge SUT. The Herron still shines in my set-up to the extent that I wonder what upgrading that to a newer model would bring ... The VTSP 3 or VTSP 360. Of course they cost vastly more than my VTSP 2 so it is a matter of diminishing returns, I suppose.

Once in a while I read glowing reviews of kit and am tempted until I remember where I went getting to this point where my set-up sounds so great.

I have two small projects this summer:
    - (1) to complete my First Watt F4 build - probably with the help of a professional repairer in a nearby town. Then compare this to my EAr 516 and sell it on. I don't expect the FirstWatt F4 to be better.
    - (2) to complete my DIY Poul Ladegaard's Air Bearing Tangential Tonearm that I have very close to completion.

After that I am still waiting for John Westlake to get his act together to honor my investment. Whether that will ever happen is doubtful. Good then that I have my current set-up.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm julian.

Default Herron pre amp

Hi Peter,
    I ended up buying Jerry's (and Jake's) old Herron pre. Very glad i did as it does subtle things that none of my previous ones have. It took a while and it wasn't immediately obvious, but on some tracks were i wasn't sure if it was a bad master or too 'much' going on at the same time, the Herron just copes.
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm Peter.

Hi Julan.

It is that good. I originally tried to buy Jerry's pre after I read extensively about Herron pre amps on the internet, but at that time he had withdrawn it from sale. Then I located one in Holland and bought it. I don't regret it as you will know from reading this thread. I certainly rate it over the EAR 802 and Macintosh C48, in fact, it is as satisfying as the EAR 868 and EAR 912 that I owned ... with different power amps and speakers, however.

My final set-up is likely to be like this - with what I have on the left:
    - Herron VTSP 2A - or one of the newer versions, VTSP 3 / VTSP 360
    - EAR 516 - or ... Leak ST 20 / Leak TL12 / one of the Radford STA versions / Quad II - unless it is too romantic-sounding
    - Croft Riaa R (or RS, if it is not too hifi-ish) or ... Herron VTPH2A / Miyajima Stereo pre / Paradise phono stage ...
    - DIY Partridge SUT or ... "The Head" by Tim de Paravicini or ... possibly a Miyajima SUT (if I stick with the Croft phono stages)
    - Benz Micro Gullwing SLR or ... Benz Micro Gullwing SHR / Denon 103R or another of the 103 varieties
    - Thorens TD 147 Jubilee
    - Thorens TP 16 arm with improved arm tube or if I do not mind losing the semi-automatic features of the TT ... DIY Paul Ladegaard Air Bearing Tangential Arm / Morch UP-4 / Morch DP6 / Hadcock Unipivot
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12