+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone heard of series crossovers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Lawrence.

Holy cow these are good, maybe there's something to be said about these crossovers. The bass reminds me more of the IMFs than I initially thought. I.e. deep and tight but not in your face. Not bad for a pair of closed box moderate sized floorstanders

I might have been lucky in the stuffing issue inasmuch as I couldn't reach the bottom so only removed the top half. I have a theory that has released the mid range in an open box at the top but the tightly packed stuffing at the bottom has lengthened the apparent length of the cabinet seen by the sound wave (by slowing it down) and effectively formed a long closed pipe for the bass. Probably utter balls but they sound good and it makes me feel happy to think that

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Stuffing a speaker like that always kills the sound IME, not surprised they are sounding better now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm matt.

There's nothing special about the AR crossover, apart from being a series one. Some people say that series crossovers sound better (Tony Gee is a big fan), but it's far, far more important to have a flat frequency response and good phase alignment throughout the crossover at the listening position. There's a chance that a better crossover could give another "Holly cow" moment, but without good measurements, it's impossible to say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345