+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How Christmasssy is it at your place?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    Hahahahaha...well this thread didn't turn out like you expected Marco....I used to do Christmas every year, with all the decorations that went with it...these days...a small tree and a couple of dozen christmas cards from friends and family...It's all about to change though....we have a grandson 5....my daughter is due her first little one any day now....and the partners middle son and his girlfriend are going to be blessed with a little one very soon too...looks like it's all going to start over again...I'll have to get into the loft somehow....
    Lol... I hadn't envisaged it going any particular way, Alan. Discussions are 'organic' things, which evolve into whatever they evolve into

I take your point about children, and btw, congrats to your partner's son, but most of us are capable of being kids at heart, even as adults. A big part of the joy of Christmas for me is recreating some of the wonderful memories I had from my childhood years and the special feelings they evoked, which haven't completely gone just because I've now grown up.

It can still be a very magical and special time, and so we do our utmost to create the right vibe, in order to make it that way. The presence of children isn't automatically required to make Christmas special - so don't be afraid of being a big kid yourself! It can stop you from turning into a grumpy old man

Del, my wife, is even more of a big kid than me (and who in truth has probably never really grown up), so we love everything about Christmas, especially when it snows and really creates that Christmassy vibe, so we're counting down to the big day and really looking forward to it - and hoping for a white one!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    The wiring in the room was dodgy, so electric heaters were a no-no. After we'd all moved out, my parents had the whole place re-wired, and central heating put in!
    Lol, that was rather 'arse about face', no? Especially in rooms that may no longer have been regularly used.

As for dodgy wiring, I'm pretty sure that electricians existed during the 60 and 70s...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No worries, different strokes and all that... Why was there no heating - couldn't your parents afford it? I can understand if that was the case, but it doesn't take much to plug in a Dimplex heater or some such, which is what I had in my room, just shortly before the central heating was installed.

If we'd been really hard up, mum and dad would have gone without themselves to ensure that at least I was warm.

Marco.
    Lol different world! The holes in the windows in my bedroom were covered up with cardboard.

If people came round during Xmas Top Of The Pops we just used to turn the volume up so it was too loud for them to talk.

Was round at my brother's year before last and was going through the channels looking for Xmas TOTP. He says to me that they don't have it anymore, the world has changed. That was just before I came across it. Little Mix were on anorl.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

. . . and certainly won't be stopping now!

Marco.
    Absolutely, if you enjoy it no reason to

And heating in a bedroom, luxury.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Lol different world! The holes in the windows in my bedroom were covered up with cardboard.

If people came round during Xmas Top Of The Pops we just used to turn the volume up so it was too loud for them to talk.

Was round at my brother's year before last and was going through the channels looking for Xmas TOTP. He says to me that they don't have it anymore, the world has changed. That was just before I came across it. Little Mix were on anorl.
    Little Mix? Lol, dat's not PROPA TOTPs. It needs to be fronted by someone such as DLT or Peter Powell, dressed in flared trousers, introducing Slade, or such like, to be PROPA!

Respect for turning the TV up - that should've done the trick!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Absolutely, if you enjoy it no reason to

And heating in a bedroom, luxury.
    Why?

Always had heating in any bedroom I've slept in, although that doesn't necessarily mean it was used

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Little Mix? Lol, dat's not PROPA TOTPs. It needs to be fronted by someone such as DLT or Peter Powell, dressed in flared trousers, introducing Slade, or such like, to be PROPA!
    Well yes but we are where we are. At least they still have it in some form or another.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Lol... LOVE all those films, *but* when Christmas lunch is being served, I'm too busy eating, drinking and chatting to friends and family to be watching TV! And lunch can go on for many hours...

Marco.
    But surely you take a break for the Queen's speech?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    We watch almost no TV, and Christmas will be no different in that respect. When I was a nipper, Christmas Day was spoiled by the relatives rolling up halfway through Christmas Top of the Pops. No video recorders back then, and no chance of us being allowed to watch the rest of the programme whilst the old folks had a natter elsewhere.

Anyway, here's Mark E Smith to sum up Christmas:

'Post-festivities
    I'm feeling numb now
    From remedies and Prozac
    I'm kinda two-tone

I'm feeling numb now
    I'm feeling numb
    I'm feeling numb now
    I'm feeling numb
    Prozac!

Everything is broken
    because of grist that curtails
    Get the Western on
    Stick with family
    At the lodge
    At the lodge
    At the lodge

(I'm feeling numb now
    I'm feeling numb'
    So festive! Did he sing it with antlers on?

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well yes but we are where we are. At least they still have it in some form or another.
    Never liked DLT "the Hairy Cornflake", and Peter Powell was a complete moron who just hopped from one gaff to another with that stupid smile. He was the one who once introduced 808 State as Bob State, because he can't read.

And yes, heated bedroom - luxury. TV in bedroom - luxury. I didn't get my first radio till I was 13. And as it ran on a pp9 battery, it spent much of its life in total silence

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast