+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How Christmasssy is it at your place?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You want Bond before and during the meal, ideally Spy Who Loved Me or Moonraker. Diamonds Are Forever is also acceptable. For Xmas night, Zulu, and then for Boxing Day 'A Bridge Too Far' in the afternoon then maybe an earlier Connery Bond in the evening. Finish up with some episodes of Bilko until the booze runs out then off to kip.

Now that's a proper Xmas.
    Lol... LOVE all those films, *but* when Christmas lunch is being served, I'm too busy eating, drinking and chatting to friends and family to be watching TV! And lunch can go on for many hours...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

He's very talented lets just leave it at that.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    The last time I put decorations up was the early 90s and only because my girlfriend refused to come round if I didn't - she won!

Enjoy though folks, nice looking rooms, always love a real fire and hope to have one when I move. Always amuses me when people call me bah-humbug and grumpy cos' I don't do Christmas. Doesn't make me grumpy, just not interested as I'm not religious and not into the consumer/consumption side, because of how I live my life . . . but apparently that means I'm grumpy

I've undeleted that post, as you worry too much, daftee!

Nothing wrong or offensive there with what you've written - and I don't think you're grumpy at all! If you don't 'do' Christmas, you don't do Christmas. It's cool

Oi LURVES it, just in case you haven't sussed that

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

I like Xmas too just don't like to see it dragged out for 3 months. A couple of days before and after the 25th and that's enough for me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... LOVE all those films, *but* when Christmas lunch is being served, I'm too busy eating, drinking and chatting to friends and family to be watching TV! And lunch can go on for many hours...

Marco.
    Many years of practice means I have mastered eating and watching TV at the same time. Anyway not an option at my bro's house as his mrs won't allow a TV in the kitchen diner. And Zulu is considered 'too violent' for the children to watch. Last year I got told off for watching Ghandi, and he barely kills anyone!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Many years of practice means I have mastered eating and watching TV at the same time. Anyway not an option at my bro's house as his mrs won't allow a TV in the kitchen diner. And Zulu is considered 'too violent' for the children to watch. Last year I got told off for watching Ghandi, and he barely kills anyone!
    Lol - sounds like a load of over-zealous mollycoddling to me, so the least said about that, the better!

We also have most of our meals whilst watching TV, but Christmas lunch is a special occasion, and always consists of a huge spread, with lots of drinkies before, during and after the meal, with also hours of preparation beforehand, so TV doesn't get a look in until around 6pm, and by that time we're usually all too pissed (or asleep) to care!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

We watch almost no TV, and Christmas will be no different in that respect. When I was a nipper, Christmas Day was spoiled by the relatives rolling up halfway through Christmas Top of the Pops. No video recorders back then, and no chance of us being allowed to watch the rest of the programme whilst the old folks had a natter elsewhere.

Anyway, here's Mark E Smith to sum up Christmas:

'Post-festivities
    I'm feeling numb now
    From remedies and Prozac
    I'm kinda two-tone

I'm feeling numb now
    I'm feeling numb
    I'm feeling numb now
    I'm feeling numb
    Prozac!

Everything is broken
    because of grist that curtails
    Get the Western on
    Stick with family
    At the lodge
    At the lodge
    At the lodge

(I'm feeling numb now
    I'm feeling numb'

I'm Alan.

Hahahahaha...well this thread didn't turn out like you expected Marco....I used to do Christmas every year, with all the decorations that went with it...these days...a small tree and a couple of dozen christmas cards from friends and family...It's all about to change though....we have a grandson 5....my daughter is due her first little one any day now....and the partners middle son and his girlfriend are going to be blessed with a little one very soon too...looks like it's all going to start over again...I'll have to get into the loft somehow....
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    When I was a nipper, Christmas Day was spoiled by the relatives rolling up halfway through Christmas Top of the Pops. No video recorders back then, and no chance of us being allowed to watch the rest of the programme whilst the old folks had a natter elsewhere.
    That also happened to me, but after I'd said 'hello' to whoever was visiting and hugged them, which was only polite, I simply disappeared up to my room and watched it on the portable TV there

My parents never forced me to do anything I really didn't want to do, especially in a situation like that where they didn't really want me there (so they could talk about 'adult stuff') any more than I wanted to sit and listen to their pish....

Returning to the Christmas meal thing and TV, the other angle, chez-moi, is that music is also playing in the background, usually some nice choral stuff, carols (from Kings) or something absorbing but soothing, to set the mood, such as Schubert's Fantasy:

Marco.
    Main System

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I've undeleted that post . . .

I thought you might when you read the reason why I deleted it - tis a bit of fun.

Here's a thought, I wonder how many people have actually read Luke Chapter 2 and found that the birth date of Christ isn't documented anywhere as 25th December and if you work it out, it's likely to have been in the springtime, or possibly even summer, if you work back to when John the Baptist was born.

Maybe we should have two Christmases, one in December and one in April?
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast