+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Playing ripped CDs via Chromecast

I'm Lawrence.

Default Playing ripped CDs via Chromecast

I'm making good progress with ripping my CD collection on my Zen and I'm now thinking about new ways to access the files. I've started using a raspberry Pi connected to an external HDD for my headphone setup. I've heard good things about the Chromecast but it all involves streaming. If I'm happy with my CD collection (several thousand albums a large proportion of which are not available online) then what can Chromecast give me? I don't like leaving my laptop on all day to access files but I'm happy to leave the Pi on for hours at a time so I want that to be the source.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Not a lot. If happy with rpi with hdd attached then it's just a matter of controlling it. A phone tablet or pc is all you need
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Ah but it's upstairs where I.listen to my headphones at night. I guess the question is can I plug the Chromecast in downstairs and listen to the music on the HDD/rpi upstairs?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Ah but it's upstairs where I.listen to my headphones at night. I guess the question is can I plug the Chromecast in downstairs and listen to the music on the HDD/rpi upstairs?

If you have software on the RasPi that permits the CCA to see it (the RasPi) then there's no reason why not.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

Buy another rpi. Put volumio 2 on both and they will be linked. You can then send music from one to other
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

I'm using Squeezelight/LMS at the moment do you think that will do the same thing?

I'm Grant.

It might. Not overly familiar with it. Chris and quite a few here are tho.
    Ive got 2 rpis with volumio2 and they both show up on screen and are interchangeable even tho only one has a hd attached. Can also send from pc to them
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Have one RasPi set up running LMS and Squeezelite to be both server (pointed at an attached HDD for your local library) and player.
    Set the other up with Squeezelite and point it at the one running LMS.

Control it all from either an app on a smartphone/tablet, or from a web browser on a computer - you need to know the IP address of the RasPi running LMS, enter the address in the address bar on the browser and suffix it with :9000 , and you'll open the LMSweb browser control screen. You can control both players from there, and make adjustments to LMS.

Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz are easily accessed with LMS plugins, and are quick and reliable. Of the three Spotify offers the best interaction, and you can build your Spotify library from the LMS interface.
    The others require you to do so from a computer.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks guys, it sounds like, although everyone is raving about the high quality sound from a Chromecast, there is no discernible benefit from using it in a pi/HDD based system, does that sound like a fair comment?

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Buy another rpi. Put volumio 2 on both and they will be linked. You can then send music from one to other
    Love this idea!
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

+ Reply to Thread