+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One of the most beautiful albums of the year?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up One of the most beautiful albums of the year?

Alexis Ffrench, 'Evolution'...

For anyone who loves solo piano music, beautifully arranged and produced, played with a real spiritual passion and soul, this guy is a *must* listen... A fantastic album for enjoying on a cold winter's evening, such as tonight, basking in the warm glow of candlelight and twinkling lights from the Christmas tree, as I am now, and just allowing the beauty and majesty of his work to gently wash over you...

Details here: https://www.sonymusicmasterworks.com...ugust-31-2018/

And here: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...volution+album

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I'll give it a spin in a mo, I see from Spotify that he's playing in Cardiff on 5th February - if I like it I'll go, nice venue the Dora Stoutzker Concert Hall

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Ticket booked, £20.00 front row left of centre and printed out already

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Not bad - a bit like Keith Jarrett in places. But half way through I became bored and I didn't like the orchestration. 6/10
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Ticket booked, £20.00 front row left of centre and printed out already...
    Rather good, isn't he?

I suspect he'll be superb live, and like you say especially in such a nice/atmospheric venue. 5th February, though? I don't know what I'm doing at five-past five tomorrow, never mind 5th February!

I'd be up for going though, and could well meet you there, but I'd need to wait until at least the beginning of January to see how the land lies first

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

That's the only bit I didn't like too Barry - I reckon he'll be solo in February though and it's such a great room and just down the road, so I thought why not.

As a stand alone work I'd give it 7/10, have to be in the right mood for it I think and having just downed rather a lot of Rioja, I'm feeling rather mellow.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Rather good, isn't he?

I suspect he'll be superb live, and like you say especially in such a nice/atmospheric venue. 5th February, though? I don't know what I'm doing at five-past five tomorrow, never mind 5th February!

I'd be up for going though, and could well meet you there, but I'd need to wait until at least the beginning of January to see how the land lies first

Marco.
    Let me know Marco, lot's a very nice eateries nearby and plenty of places to park too. The Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama is a stunning building.

Mind you I doubt it'll look like that in February!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not bad - a bit like Keith Jarrett in places. But half way through I became bored and I didn't like the orchestration. 6/10
    Nah, this dude's got much more soul! Jarrett, for me, is more towards bland 'wallpaper music'. Plus, bear in mind that it's mellow chillout stuff; nothing too edgy or 'challenging'

Marco.
    Main System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nah, this dude's got much more soul! Jarrett, for me, is much more towards being bland 'wallpaper music'. Plus, bear in mind that it's mellow chillout music; nothing too edgy or 'challenging'

Marco.
    You haven't been listening to the right Jarrett LPs then. But tastes differ - de gustibus non disputandem.
    Barry

I've got most of his stuff, Barry. so know it reasonably well. I like him, but the music of Alexis just resonates with me more

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast